IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I was bored and looking for ways to drop weight. I figured, why not take out what I barely use (not me personally, just in general, i dont give a lot of people rides). So I went ahead and took the rear seats out. Once i figured that crap out- was a pain at first then I figured it out- I went ahead a took the 3 seat belts out too. That wasn't as easy as I though. First I thought I needed a 15mm wrench to screw the seat belt off from a weird angle... of course 30 min after looking for this 15mm wrench I decided to just start ripping off the sides of the back cargo area... low and behold, it was mounted to the inside of the car, not where I thought I had to unscrew it. I needed a 14mm now, which was easy, I had that in my tool box. Once I did the left side, did the same to the right side. Each seat belt has to weight about a pound each and I'd say the seat backing weight around 20lbs easy. The bottom seat just pops up and thats it. I realized there are a ton of wires under there, so I left the seat on for now (I think it has to be around 10-15lbs). My plan is to find some sort of rubber mat, about a quarter inch think and line it in that area. Bolt it in to where the seats were bolted in and screw it down some how on near the rear passenger footwell area. That way nothing can catch on those wires. I also took the spare tire out and all that. I made that area my new "glove box"... since I also took the liberty to take the glove box door off. that thing is actually heavier than I thought, so a bit savings there. After all that was said and done I went ahead and took out the stock radio unit (about 10lbs or so).

This might be a bit far fetched, but hang with me for a second and tell me what you think. I want to be able to listen to music still, but also drop some weight from that crappy stock system. So, I think what I might do is get a good set (4) of Bose speakers, Like you'd used for a laptop or something. But really good, loud quality. I dont care for all that base crap, I just want to hear my music, clear. I would then rip out all the stock radio/speaker wires and what not. That has to save a good amount of weight for all that stuff, i'd say around 20lbs (perhaps more) with taking out the speakers and wires and whatnot. I figured I could rig something up so that each speaker was installed in each door and wired to the inside of the dash. Now all that would stick out is the plug to go into an iPod or MP3 Player. Save 20lbs, add maybe 5 pounds with these small speakers and iPod. the iPod would mount somewhere on the dash (whereever convenient). Now you have a decent speaker system where you can listen to your music, its small and saved weight.

So up front/mid car you can save around 40lbs or so with doing all that.

Another thing I want to do is make my front and rear door windows a manual roll down, so pull out the window engine things. I'm sure that has to take some weight off as well too! Not sure how big or how much weight, but if I had to guess... maybe 5 or 10lbs per door. I was also thinking of just making my rear windows a fixed window, since I have no rear seats anymore. basically just a window mounted close in there. (perhaps make it a lexan window at some point...hmmm).

Someone ripped off my rear windshield wiper, so i'll go ahead and take that little engine thing out too and cut more weight there.

Now, some of this will be done this weekend, some will be done within the month (hopefully). all in all I think that's a good amount shaved off from doing all that. (bose sound system is still 50/50 at this point, not sure if I should or not).

I also bought some seats today, weighing around 25lbs each. I heard stock seats are around 50lbs a piece... so that's another 50lbs shaved off the car!!!

Give me some input, what are all your thoughts on my ideas here. I'm kinda just making this up as I go, no has tried to hard on losing weight with the GR's yet... So I'm going full out to drop some major weight!!!

PLEASE TRY TO KEEP IT POSTIVE! Of course constructive criticism is welcome!

(I have a few pics of the removal and seats, i'll post them up later when I'm not so tired)

UPDATE: stock weight 3395...
I've dropped 175 lbs so far, sitting at 3220 lbs. I should be around 3170lbs next week when i put my seats in and take out some insulation on the firewall. Still debating if i should take out the carpet, should save a good 10lbs there and the front and rear bumper beams, another 40-50lbs off there.

Center of balance is 60 inches from the front of the car, trying to get a bit more centered, thats pretty forward still.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
So you are going to rip out the stereo, and then put computer speakers in and listen to your ipod?

What is powering your computer speakers?

Is this really going to save weight?

Why not just put in a lighter, single DIN style stereo and pull out the speakers in the rear door? Seems easier and more logical, also will probably save the same amount of weight.

You ripped out your back seats and seatbelts which is good. If you lay down 1/4" rubber sheet back there, it's giong to weigh as much as the seats did probably. Why not just reroute the wires so they are off to the side and out of the way. Or just don't put stuff back there.

What seats did you buy? What brackets are you using? I know aftermarket seat brackets can get pretty heavy, and eat up most of the weight savings. i think most people do seats more for bling than anything else. Although there is still some weight savings.

Also, I wouldn't be so dismissive of AnorexicSTI's thread. There are a lot of good ideas in there that carry over. :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
power to you, rarely have i seen GR guys get crazy on weight savings like the GD crowd has. seems like you have a little more to deal with as far as removal, which is what i would have expected

·
Registered
619 Posts
I second the single din radio idea, going down to a single din and front speakers only is going to shave a few pounds and be easier to live with then a laptop and random speakers or an ipod with random speakers

I'd also find a thinner mat for over the wires, like contractor trim level truck flooring, that can't be more then 1/8" thick and its designed for exactly what you want it to do.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you are going to rip out the stereo, and then put computer speakers in and listen to your ipod?

What is powering your computer speakers?

Is this really going to save weight?

Why not just put in a lighter, single DIN style stereo and pull out the speakers in the rear door? Seems easier and more logical, also will probably save the same amount of weight.

You ripped out your back seats and seatbelts which is good. If you lay down 1/4" rubber sheet back there, it's giong to weigh as much as the seats did probably. Why not just reroute the wires so they are off to the side and out of the way. Or just don't put stuff back there.

What seats did you buy? What brackets are you using? I know aftermarket seat brackets can get pretty heavy, and eat up most of the weight savings. i think most people do seats more for bling than anything else. Although there is still some weight savings.

Also, I wouldn't be so dismissive of AnorexicSTI's thread. There are a lot of good ideas in there that carry over. :)

I figured people would say get that single din radio... lol. I was throwing ideas out there! BUt thanks for the input, I'm definitely thinking of stuff now that i wasnt thinking of before.

I like the drop the back speakers and keep the front. I'm also trying to drop more weight in the front, over all. its easy to take weight off the back, but the front is a pain!

And the rubber, I was just saying something in general to cover it. IDK what I'm going to use. Your right though, that would be pretty heavy.

I bought Aero Designs Hades seats. I'm going to go with Wedge Engineering brackets. Seats weight like 25lbs, I'm sure there are seats that weight less.. But i'm also going for the rally look.. and those seats look similar lol.

I'm totally not hating on AnorexicSTI's thread, I've read it before, a lot of good stuff going on in there. I'm just trying to come up with ideas for the GR that no on has used yet, or at least shared with us. :-D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second the single din radio idea, going down to a single din and front speakers only is going to shave a few pounds and be easier to live with then a laptop and random speakers or an ipod with random speakers

I'd also find a thinner mat for over the wires, like contractor trim level truck flooring, that can't be more then 1/8" thick and its designed for exactly what you want it to do.
You're right too! I'll probably end of doing that radio thing, once I sell the back seats, sti front seats and stock radio (also selling the iPod ineterface kit).

Also have a thread going for stuff im selling, including all that above. Also looking to sell my fog lights!

Good idea on the flooring. I was also thinking some sort of custom, Aluminum flooring. My girlfriend can do all that metal work, so it would be extremely inexpensive for me to do that. But again, Idk is that would be hurting more than helping.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
power to you, rarely have i seen GR guys get crazy on weight savings like the GD crowd has. seems like you have a little more to deal with as far as removal, which is what i would have expected
I'm going to do my best! Goal is, once I'm totally done with all weight loss mods, to be around 3000lbs!!! lol. Might be out there, but that's what I'm setting myself to.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and go figure on NASIOC they would post.. lose some weight in my weight loss thread... never fails. and by no means am I near being fat, so dont get any ideas people of say that! lol.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary
Both economy and performance! Im not going to sell the car, I'm going to keep it. Should be paid off by 2012, so if by then the STI changes... then i'll just get another one and have a paid off car lol. But that wont happen, I cant afford 2 stis 8-O

I realize some of things are a bit much for some. but that's why im not taking all the comforts out, keeping some. like the a/c, being able to listen to music, working windows, power locks, etc.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you trying to save all this weight because you take the car to the track? I ask because I'm curious if these seats will be approved for track use, I saw them on ebay and they looked like Bride knockoffs.
No, not really for racing, just for personal fun and enjoyment. Seeing how much i can take off and change in the car but still be pretty comfortable as a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
things that make you go hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Both economy and performance! Im not going to sell the car, I'm going to keep it. Should be paid off by 2012, so if by then the STI changes... then i'll just get another one and have a paid off car lol. But that wont happen, I cant afford 2 stis 8-O

I realize some of things are a bit much for some. but that's why im not taking all the comforts out, keeping some. like the a/c, being able to listen to music, working windows, power locks, etc.
Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you to think about.

1. Fuel economy - You could probably achieve your fuel economy goals by ensuring your car is properly maintained and by modifying your driving habits to maximize MPG.

2. Performance - Unless you're planning to participate in competitive events where the weight reduction might come into play, I don't quite understand why you'd choose to partially gut the interior of the car. For street usage and most non-competitive track usage the STi has adequate performance and a suitable power-to-weight ratio.

The only reason I bring this up is that you might find ways to shave 250 lbs off the gross weight of the car and actually realize little or no useful benefit.

Gary

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I know. I figured I get some of that why and not necessary spills, lol.

Just something I want to do, fuel economy is good, for what it can be. I drive pretty well, I get around 19-22 on the streets. 23-25 on the hwy. Not great, but not what they said id get, so better than the estimated!

I'm not really gutting the interior, just took the back seats out. my new spare is going to be an extra BBS wheel (08+) eventually, when i find a good set for a good price. And taking little things out here and there, but its still going to look like a stock STI when you look inside, for the most part of since there are slight mods being done ;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ripping all this stuff out in a DD seems abit crazy but do what you want. I hope you can easily revert all these changes if you do want to eventually sell it...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, im ripping some stuff out. But I want to do it and I know some things wont be the same before if i want to go back. I'm sure i'll be happy with it and I don't plan on selling this car, but I do plan on selling my Harley! lol.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts