IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to add a video but I can’t, get have a weird ticking sound (thought it was injectors ticking which is normal I know) and want to make sure. It’s a bone stock 2018 Subaru wrx sti. I had a power steering rack replaced about a month ago all that is fine. Now I was holding the throttle at 2,400 rpm’s because it gets a little more aggressive, but for my buddy to get a video after it warmed up. Just ticking sounds like it gets a LITTLE more aggressive and I can hear it when idling down in 2nd gear. I don’t beat on it or destroy it. Just trying to figure it out. A buddy said it could be the timing belt I don’t know. Message me on Facebook for the video PLEASE!!! Noah Budka Knowah

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
118 Posts
Like any of these? If so, I have yet to determine what it is, but my theory is clutch noise or gear rollover noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to add a video but I can’t, get have a weird ticking sound (thought it was injectors ticking which is normal I know) and want to make sure. It’s a bone stock 2018 Subaru wrx sti. I had a power steering rack replaced about a month ago all that is fine. Now I was holding the throttle at 2,400 rpm’s because it gets a little more aggressive, but for my buddy to get a video after it warmed up. Just ticking sounds like it gets a LITTLE more aggressive and I can hear it when idling down in 2nd gear. I don’t beat on it or destroy it. Just trying to figure it out
Post the video to youtube or imgur then link it here.
May 13, 2022 there yea go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like any of these? If so, I have yet to determine what it is, but my theory is clutch noise or gear rollover noise.
May 13, 2022 here’s a video
Sounds perfectly healthy to me... ¯\(ツ)
everyone keeps telling me different things like the car is going to blow up finally, or it’s timing slap, I mean it’s all under warranty bone stock with 64k miles on it

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
118 Posts
This is about to blow up. Notice how closely the knocking noise is associated with throttle load. As soon as they lift that first time at [guessing] ~2500rpm, the noise stops. You can really manipulate rod knock with throttle load, and you'd very likely see metal shavings in the oil/filter if you do an oil change.:

This is what it sounds like if the tensioner is causing a knocking sound:

Since you say it is under warranty though, for your own peace of mind and documentation, take it in and have it looked at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is about to blow up. Notice how closely the knocking noise is associated with throttle load. As soon as they lift that first time at [guessing] ~2500rpm, the noise stops. You can really manipulate rod knock with throttle load, and you'd very likely see metal shavings in the oil/filter if you do an oil change.:

This is what it sounds like if the tensioner is causing a knocking sound:

Since you say it is under warranty though, for your own peace of mind and documentation, take it in and have it looked at.
Alright I’ll take it in tomorrow, I’ll go about saying I’m hearing a strange noise, sadly though the dealership I bought it from and where I got the warranty they don’t exactly like me. They sold the car with a blown power steering rack with it being pre-owned certified and I asked them to replace it (had a new short block put in at 34k miles apparently and they dropped it on the power steering) and they told me they won’t hold the warranty good luck. It’s a actual Subaru dealership too so it’s confusing.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
118 Posts
Alright I’ll take it in tomorrow, I’ll go about saying I’m hearing a strange noise, sadly though the dealership I bought it from and where I got the warranty they don’t exactly like me. They sold the car with a blown power steering rack with it being pre-owned certified and I asked them to replace it (had a new short block put in at 34k miles apparently and they dropped it on the power steering) and they told me they won’t hold the warranty good luck. It’s a actual Subaru dealership too so it’s confusing.
I'd demand they either uphold the warranty, or worst case, refund it. It's a contractual obligation and a service sold in exchange for your payment. If they argue I'd ask if they are cool if you just don't uphold the last few payments on the loan since we are just signing things that apparently have no meaning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd demand they either uphold the warranty, or worst case, refund it. It's a contractual obligation and a service sold in exchange for your payment. If they argue I'd ask if they are cool if you just don't uphold the last few payments on the loan since we are just signing things that apparently have no meaning.
I appreciate it very very much man, thank you for all the advice and help you’ve given and explained! And honestly that’s what it seemed like, just a sign of a piece of paper that meant nothing it’s what made me so angry.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
118 Posts
Yep. Another thing I would do is make sure their answers are in writing. I default to do all my communication via email for that very reason, but that's typically why they want to do everything via phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts