IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My STI has 100 Miles on it now. At idile I hear the valves ticking. Is this normal? I asked the sales guy if they filled it with 93 or better. and he said the car can with a full tank of gas from Subaru. I KNOW HE IS LIEING! So I don't even know what kind of gas I am running.
If any one has this ticking noise also, please let me know. Its probably just the Perfromance Cams or something. It's probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's a subaru thing, my RS does it, all of my friends WRX's do it. I wouldnt be worried.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Their tech probably filled it up when he PDI'd the car. Was it a sold order for you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
ticking or pinging? ticking = valves. It isnt unheard of for a car's valves to tick for a little bit right after starting a car that has sat for a while because the oil has settled. Have you noticed it still ticking after it has run for a while? Valves will also tick for the remainder of their lives if they are scored which is caused by a lack of oil or bad oil maintainence throughout the engines life. pinging = fuel. the lower octanes cause a pinging which will disappear by simply upping the fuel grade

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
pinging at idle? i dont think so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IT"S NOT PINGING. It's definietly the valves ticking. It does it all the time. Even when it's been run for a while.

T

·
0 Posts
Mine is the same, ticks all the time. I figured since the valves are right near the top and there is no effort what so ever by Subaru to make this a quiet car, you hear evrything. It doesn't sound like something is wrong with it but you just hear every little noise this car makes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah mine ticks too, I'm used to it. it doesn't mean anything's wrong, just some loud lifters. what I'm worried about is the ticking I hear at low boost between 2500 and 4000. sounds like an exhaust leak or a really noisy valve train.

·
Registered
45 Posts
think so? even at light throttle? still breaking the motor in so I haven't romped on it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Turbobuick.. If it is ticking at LIGHT throttle at 2500RPM, its the boost solenoid. At low RPM and light throttle, it doesnt know what to do and is turning on and off, on and off.

Hope that helped

·
Registered
243 Posts
East Coast Subaru Shootout

The other thing you're likely hearing is the injectors. They are quite noisy and they are bottom mounted. All in all, get used to it and welcome to owning a Subaru ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a modded 02 WRX and an STi. The valves and lifters make all kinds of noise. When I got my WRX, I thought it was damaged. I've since learned that this is normal for Subaru flat fours. My STi has the exact same ticking and clicking. Try listening to it from outside right next to one of your front wheels. It will always do it. Nothing wrong at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts