IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been hearing what almost sounds like a flickering noise...almost like when you put baseball cards in your spokes on your bicycle. The noise is RPM sensative meaning it'll only do it if the engine is at like 2500RPM or higher. I can hear it all the time now, but its at its worst if I'm coasting in gear, if I give it gas while in gear it'll go away a bit. I can hear it the worst if I put my ear up by the left side of the steering wheel. I know its coming from the left side of the engine somewhere. Sorry for the vague description, but I was hoping someone else had this problem and knows whats up.

Its sorta the same as Huy is having, but mine seems to be doing it all the time where as his is only at WOT

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After more poking around, the ticking sound appears to be coming from the driver's side cylinder head.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Are you sure it is not the boxer engine ticking sound which is normal? If it is not this, maybe you detonate???

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pantag said:
Are you sure it is not the boxer engine ticking sound which is normal? If it is not this, maybe you detonate???
Its quite possible. I just found it wierd that its only really on one side. The car is temporarily bone stock, so I doube its detonating.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Do you have the stock spark plugs or a 1-step colder ones?
Most likely you're only hearing the boxer ticking sound. Can you hear it when the windows are up?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pantag said:
Do you have the stock spark plugs or a 1-step colder ones?
Most likely you're only hearing the boxer ticking sound. Can you hear it when the windows are up?
stock park plugs. And yes, I can hear it with the windows up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
DoubleURX said:
I've been hearing what almost sounds like a flickering noise...almost like when you put baseball cards in your spokes on your bicycle. The noise is RPM sensative meaning it'll only do it if the engine is at like 2500RPM or higher. I can hear it all the time now, but its at its worst if I'm coasting in gear, if I give it gas while in gear it'll go away a bit. I can hear it the worst if I put my ear up by the left side of the steering wheel. I know its coming from the left side of the engine somewhere. Sorry for the vague description, but I was hoping someone else had this problem and knows whats up.

Its sorta the same as Huy is having, but mine seems to be doing it all the time where as his is only at WOT
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
its probably just a leak at the exhaust manifold, tighten the bolts up that connect the manifold to the exhaust ports and see if thats gets rid of it. or maybe you need a new gasket for it.

i have been dealing with this since i instaled my new exhaust manifold and uppipe, i have made it a lot better, but it still does leak a bit to make that ticking sound.

-Taylor

·
Registered
102 Posts
mine does this also, but I didnt find any leak, my friends LGT does this also, with no leak, maybe its normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
onefranchise said:
mine does this also, but I didnt find any leak, my friends LGT does this also, with no leak, maybe its normal.
hmmm, it never made the ticking sound for me before and i was told i had a slight leak with my uppipe and exhaust manifold connection.

anyways, i would still get under there and double check if it is.

-Taylor

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
If you can hear it with the windows rolled up its probably not valve clatter.

Compared to my friends sti, mine has much louder valve clatter, but i cant hear it with the windows up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts