IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched and found several threads with information about this kit. Most were dedicated to people asking questions about installs though. They were OK b/c they had some info regarding performance and NVH increases do to the kit, but they didn't focus entirely on that which is precisely what I'm interested in.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Drivetrain forum or in the Suspension/Chassis Stiffening forum. Mods, if I have the wrong forum please move.

So here's the deal. I want to dedicate this thread to descriptions of any NVH people have had with this kit and also to descriptions of the performance/feel of the car after the installation of this kit. I'm doing this because I'm certain I'm going to order this kit at some point, but I'm focused on tons of engine stuff at the present time so I will do this clunk killer kit after the engine stuff is done. :)

So anyway, anybody that has this kit please post info related to performance increase, NVH changes, and also obviously of rear clunk noise elimination!

PS - I love TiC. Cheap mods that make a difference. Awesome.

EDIT: Summary information
LightWerkz: MY05 STi
Review: Kit performs as advertised. Constant whine from 60-70 mph
Suspension: Tanabe Gf210's (05 specific); Whiteline 27-29mm Adjustable front swaybar; Whiteline 24-26mm Adjustable rear swaybar; Whiteline endlinks; Performance Oriented Alignment by EuroTire
Drivetrain: TiC shift linkage bushings; TiC Klunk Killer Kit; Karboy front & rear shifter stay bushing; Kartboy tranny crossmember bushing; Kartboy rear subframe outrigger bushings; Kartboy pivot pushings

ender81d: MY04 STi
Review: It is primarily the outrigger bushings in this kit that cause the NVH. I did just the rear diff bushings with *no* noticable increase in NVH, and the back end does feel tighter and the klunk is dead.
Drivetrain: TiC rear diff mount bushings; Full KB/TiC Shifter/Bushings inc X-member bushings; Steering rack bushings

lovesmysuby: MY06 STI
Review: The differential bushings caused the whine. Added the whiteline outrigger bushings later and noticed no added NVH. The noise was only present at 60 to 65 and died off as the mph's increased.
Drivetrain: TiC Klunk Killer Kit

jasv11: MY06 STI
Review: I used the 2 large thick bushings for the top of the factory bushing and the smaller diameter bushing on the bottom. I found that it created a huge shake at full WOT at 5000 to redline in 2nd gear. There was no vibration at higher speeds whatsoever.
I replaced the top thicker large bushing with the thinner one and that corrected the problem. Then I did the second half of the kit(rear diff bushings) and didin't notice any more noise at all. The rear end gear noise may be slightly more but my exhaust is so loud its hard to tell. With swift springs I started to get the bobble head effect more than with the stock springs. After doing the rear diff bushings I was supprised that the bobble head was almost gone.
Drivetrain: TIC Klunk Killer Kit; Perrin lightweight pulley; ACPT C/F driveshaft
Suspension: Front/rear Perrin Adjustable sways; Kartboy Endlinks; Swift Springs; Group N Hats

sebtarta: MY05 STi
Review: The CKK holds the hole diffrential in place, and it increases the power distribution even better. Maybe some more whine here and there, but thats the beauty of it. Come on, afterall its a rally car.
Drivetrain: TiC super shifter set; TiC Klunk Killer Kit; Kartboy crossmember bushings; STi Group N engine/tranny mounts
Suspension: Tanabe GF210 Springs; Whiteline 27-29mm adj front swaybar; Whiteline 24-26mm adj rear swaybar; Whiteline Endlinks

davemeister: MY06 STi
Review: Extra NVH? You betcha. I like it, but it's not for everyone. I have a fairly quiet whining from pretty much 0 MPH to about 80 MPH.
Drivetrain: TiC super shifter set; TiC Klunk Killer Kit; Kartboy transmission crossmember bushings; STi Group N engine/tranny mounts
Suspension: Whiteline front and rear strut tower bars

HWYKING: MY06 STi
Review: Rear end of the car feels 3x better. No more annoying klunk, and now the rear end is much more stiff and predictable. Some NVH but very tolerable. I have HKS carbon titanium exhaust, so I can't really notice any whine Definitley worth every penny.
Drivetrain: Kartboy klunk killer kit, Kartboy transmission crossmember bushings, Whiteline subframe lock bolts
Suspension: Tein s-tech coilovers

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
The kit does what its supposed to do, however there is a large compromise IMHO for daily drivers. There is alot of increased whining from the rear diff gooing between 60-70mph. Any faster or slower you dont hear anything...

When you bang out the gears, the car feels solid as hell...

·
Registered
625 Posts
60-70 is not good for me then. When I go on my long distance hauls, 70 is where I usually have the cruise on. Is it that noticeable?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info and thanks for the post. It brings me to the very first question I knew I should have included in my opening post...

My question is - did anybody do the rear diff mount bushings and not the outrigger bushings??? If they did, when they only had the rear diff mount bushings installed did they have the whining at 60-70 mph? With only the rear diff mount bushings - if there was not the same level of NVH, how was it???

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with the whine, I'm tempted to do the full kit anyway. I love my solid as hell suspension that makes tons of noise already... No reason to stop short of a solid rear end due to some stupid noise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is primarily the outrigger bushings in this kit that cause the NVH. I did just the rear diff bushings with *no* noticable increase in NVH, and the back end does feel tighter and the klunk is dead. I found that doing just the rear diff was a good compromise for me for now.

04 STI
Full KB/TiC Shifter/Bushings inc X-member bushings
Steering Rack Bushings
Rear Diff Bushings

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet. Thanks for the information man. That's very helpful.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I dont have the kit, however its on my winter to-do list, I know there is a NVH associated with them, but I dont think it will be a problem. But its a personal choice I guess :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
ender18d said:
It is primarily the outrigger bushings in this kit that cause the NVH. I did just the rear diff bushings with *no* noticable increase in NVH, and the back end does feel tighter and the klunk is dead. I found that doing just the rear diff was a good compromise for me for now.
I did the differential bushings from TIC and they caused the whine from the differential for me. I added the whiteline outrigger bushings later and noticed no added NVH. The noise was only present at 60 to 65 and died off as the mph's increased. This was on my daily driver and it isn't bad just have to get use to it. I don't know if it applies to all model year imprezas but Subaru has a TSB for a damper they add to the differential to reduce this whine.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I just installed the kit last week. The cross frame part of the kit comes with 6 bushings and you only need to use 4 of them. I used the 2 large thick bushings for the top of the factory bushing and the smaller diameter bushing on the bottom.
I found that it created a huge shake at full WOT at 5000 to redline in 2nd gear. there was no vibration at higher speeds whatsoever.
I replaced the top thicker large bushing with the thinner one and that corrected the problem.
Then I did the second half of the kit(rear diff bushings) and didin't notice any more noise at all. The rear end gear noise may be slightly more but my exhaust is so loud its hard to tell.

On a side note: with my swift springs that I installed last month I started to get the bobble head effect more than with the stock springs.
After doing the rear diff bushings I was supprised that the bobble head was almost gone.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The CKK is one of the best mods to do after the engine and tranny mounts. It holds the hole diffrential in place, and it increases the power distribution even better.
The noise, yes maybe some more whine here and there, but thats the beauty of it. Come on, afterall its a rally car. If you do not want any noise and complaints, go get a BMW. Another way to decrease noise in the cabin is by simple covering the whole car with Dynamat or similiar product.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Interesting... For the people that have provided reviews of the product, can you chime in a let us know what year your car is and also any drivetrain/suspension stuff you have done to yoru car - place the info in your original review post with an edit if possible - then we can track who has what and what their review was easier. New people providing reviews, please list year of car and any drivetrain or suspension modifications.

lovesmysuby said:
I did the differential bushings from TIC and they caused the whine from the differential for me. I added the whiteline outrigger bushings later and noticed no added NVH. The noise was only present at 60 to 65 and died off as the mph's increased. This was on my daily driver and it isn't bad just have to get use to it. I don't know if it applies to all model year imprezas but Subaru has a TSB for a damper they add to the differential to reduce this whine.
jasv11 said:
I just installed the kit last week. The cross frame part of the kit comes with 6 bushings and you only need to use 4 of them. I used the 2 large thick bushings for the top of the factory bushing and the smaller diameter bushing on the bottom.
I found that it created a huge shake at full WOT at 5000 to redline in 2nd gear. there was no vibration at higher speeds whatsoever.
I replaced the top thicker large bushing with the thinner one and that corrected the problem.
Then I did the second half of the kit(rear diff bushings) and didin't notice any more noise at all. The rear end gear noise may be slightly more but my exhaust is so loud its hard to tell.

On a side note: with my swift springs that I installed last month I started to get the bobble head effect more than with the stock springs.
After doing the rear diff bushings I was supprised that the bobble head was almost gone.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
I have an 05 STi, and I noticed these NVH as soon as I installed the klunk kit.

I love a nice comfortable ride, and this kind of killed it for me. However it does what its supposed to do, as with all mods, its a compromise.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Summary information added to original post...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
Summary information added to original post...

under the drivetrain add also the Group-N Engine & Tranny mounts too. THey change drastically the way it holds everything up. its a MUST mod to do too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added...

I'm getting the Cusco engine mounts and Cusco tranny mount with the Kartboy tranny crossmember bushings while my enine goes in. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all that posted. Anybody else with the kit is more than welcome to post their review/info also.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm installing the Group N motor & Tranny mounts next week, also the Group N pitch mount. Then I will reinstall the thicker top crossmember bushing back in and see if I still have the 2nd gear vibration.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts