IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my STI and am going to start out with some small things, that in the research ive done seem to do alot, but not cost an arm and a leg and create a good starting point, but I have some questions. I am planning on getting the TIC Klunk Killer Race kit, the Bodacious Bushing Bundle, and the Kartboy Transmission crossmember bushings. I am going to do the Group-N engine and pitch stop as well, maybe not at the same time though. My questions is do I still need the Group-N tranny mount with the Kartboy transmission crossmember bushings or do these bushings take the place of the group N? Also if I can't do all of the above at the same time, which should I do first? I am thinking do everything to the tranny and then the rear end, but what do I know. After that will be swaybars at some point when I get bored with the handling as compared to my WRX.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
The kartboy tranny Xmember bushings are not the same as the tranny mount.

If you are going to do the shifter bushings just do the xmember bushings at the same time as the tranny subframe will be off the car anyway.

As for what order to do them in - I will let others give their experience on that.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The tranny mount makes the most significant difference. My order was: Shifter (complete), klunk killer, tranny mount, bushings. Still to come (sitting in garage) Group-N engine mounts (trying to get the courage up).

CB

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if the tranny mount makes the biggest differences, I might as well do that and the tranny crossmember bushings at the same time as my first mod, as once I take the crossmember off to do the tranny mount I might as well change out the bushings too.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
rjacobs said:
Well if the tranny mount makes the biggest differences, I might as well do that and the tranny crossmember bushings at the same time as my first mod, as once I take the crossmember off to do the tranny mount I might as well change out the bushings too.
There you go!:tup:

CB

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, now I have a new question, what is the difference between the group N tranny mount and the regular STI upgraded tranny mount? Is it the same thing, just different names?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The tranny mount that comes on the STi is made of softer rubber than the Group-N. Are you saying there is stock, upgraded, and Group-N? If so, I had not heard that.

CB

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fastcb said:
Are you saying there is stock, upgraded, and Group-N? If so, I had not heard that.

CB
In what I have looked at, that seems to be the case. On Japanparts.com they show an STI transmission mount and a Group N transmission mount. So right there are two different tranny mounts. Also if all 6 speed cars in the USA are already STI's, why would they sell an STI 6 speed tranny mount at all, they would all be group N's. Can somebody get a part number off of the tranny mount on their car or one that they took off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think you have to get the group n to upgrade. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a thread out there stating that lots of places are stocking the mount that comes with USDM tranny's so people are ordering and going to swap and find out they already have the mount they purchased.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts