IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this $15 bushings thru the group price and based on some early testers posts saying how easy it is to install them I decided to put them in tonight. I spent over one and half hours trying all kinds of way to push the metal sleeve into the bushings once they were in place and I just eventually gave up. I'm sure they'll improve the shift quality once installed but I just couldn't get it to work. Just want to let you guys know that it is NOT as easy as Tic or other testers would want you to believe. I'm not very mechanically capable but I've installed short shifter on my Audi A4 before and I've installed my K&N Typhoon....I'm capable of following instructions to perform simple install but in this case the bushings' fitment is questionable. Perhaps they need to be this tight for them to give the sharp shifter feeling? Luckily I paid the professional people at Suby Specialties to install my previously purchased Tic Bodacious bushing bundle. And even the pro was complaining on the tight fitment of the Tic linkage bushings. Bottomline just be prepared.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Dude, don't try to push the metal sleeve through BOTH bushings at the same time.

Push the sleeve into one bushing first, then install that into the shifter.

Then install the second bushing.

Use plenty of grease on the inside AND outside of the bushing!!!

If you still find resistance, stick the sleeve in the freezer for an hour, that might help.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i had a test set of these and yes they are tight, but as stee said, put the sleeve into one bushing first. you have to use a lot of grease. i used a hammer and got everything together. you can also do what some one else did: take the pivot bolt, nut, and some washers and use them to get the bushings all the way in by tightening with wrenches.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
The first revision of the bushings were really easy to install, but after getting some feedback from our testers they felt a tighter fit would be better. Thus we revised the bushing for a tighter fit. I can see about loosening up that sleeve a little on the next batch to help with the pushing in part, but you should be able to get them in with a little bit of effort.

Another thing you can try is using a stubby screwdriver. The handle will give you something larger to push on. just stick the shaft into the hole, and push on the handle.

Give it another shot, and if you're still having trouble call me.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
maybe put the bushings in very hot water to make them more pliable?

i like the bolt idea. i may use that when mine arrive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stee said:
Push the sleeve into one bushing first, then install that into the shifter.

Then install the second bushing.

Use plenty of grease on the inside AND outside of the bushing!!!

If you still find resistance, stick the sleeve in the freezer for an hour, that might help.
I tried that but didn't work. The second bushing refused to go in all the way and yes I used plenty of grease. Although that freezer trick is new to me. Too bad my bushings are now kind of deformed after 1 and 1/2 hours of abuse on them....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gte123v said:
having a hammer helps too.
With so little space in there I couldn't use a hammer. Unless people are taking the shifter out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fullerton said:
maybe put the bushings in very hot water to make them more pliable?
i like the bolt idea. i may use that when mine arrive.
I thought about it too but then the once the bushings are inside the shifter then the metal surrounding the bushing kind fo becoming the restricting factor so I didn't think it would work....

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
SlowSti said:
With so little space in there I couldn't use a hammer. Unless people are taking the shifter out?
i used a hammer and left the shifter in place. just rotate the shifter so the bushings are almost facing up. use short swings and it will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turninconcepts.com said:
The first revision of the bushings were really easy to install, but after getting some feedback from our testers they felt a tighter fit would be better. Thus we revised the bushing for a tighter fit. I can see about loosening up that sleeve a little on the next batch to help with the pushing in part, but you should be able to get them in with a little bit of effort.

Another thing you can try is using a stubby screwdriver. The handle will give you something larger to push on. just stick the shaft into the hole, and push on the handle.

Give it another shot, and if you're still having trouble call me.
My bushings are kind of deformed now after one and half hours of abuse/failed attempts of install.....I really wanted to complete my shifter set up after having your bodacious bundle installed but now I don't think it'll happen until I can get your revision with a loosen sleeve.....I'm willing to pay you again for another set of easier fitting pivot bushings/sleeve when you have them.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
the best thing to do next time, if you're worried, is to take the shift lever out and use a table vise or press to get them in.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
SlowSti said:
My bushings are kind of deformed now after one and half hours of abuse/failed attempts of install.....I really wanted to complete my shifter set up after having your bodacious bundle installed but now I don't think it'll happen until I can get your revision with a loosen sleeve.....I'm willing to pay you again for another set of easier fitting pivot bushings/sleeve when you have them.
PM me your real name and address (yeah yeah, but have you ever tried to figure out who goes with what screenname in almost 100 orders in 4 days - it's darn tough)

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
in these situations, i find it can also help to try and get her a bit more in the mood. if you go all g.i. joe and try to shove it in without proper lub and such, things then to not end well.

like others have said, position matters, as well as the tools you use. be creative and you may be able to slip it in easier than if you just use your fingers.

/bored.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
yeah, it required a lot of pushing and hammering to get mine to fit. they still weren't in flush when i finally said F- it and pushed them into the linkage rod. lots of strong arm work, but it did work.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
no hammering required here, used alot of grease and a c-clamp. 10 mins =]

1 - 20 of 81 Posts