IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mods - if you could sticky this for a short time I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi Guys -

As a great many of you know we recently released the new TiC 6MT pivot bushings, and it seems that some folks have had some trouble with them. Now, whenever you have a part you're going to have a few people that run into trouble over time, but given the number of reports that I have seen over the past couple of days I am a bit concerned.

I did some investigating, and I can see where the trouble is coming from. See, in our enthusiasm to make the part as tight as possible we made things fit quite snug. It turns out that perhaps we were a bit overenthusiastic.

Here's what I have found:

We feel the bushing itself is good. The fit into the lever is tight, and the fit of the assembly into the clevis is tight. These are as they should be, and feel that they are acceptable.

Where we're seeing problems is with the sleeve. See, we sized that sleeve to be a really tight fit into the bushings. Looking at it now it looks like we went a little too tight on that as there are some sleeves that are just too big, and are causing difficulties. Why are some folks having problems and others aren't? We're not really sure. Perhaps tolerances, perhaps install, perhaps sunspots, but bottom line it's not acceptable.

That brings us to how we're going to handle this.

See, we at TiC pride ourselves on two things. 1) Making or carrying high quality parts and 2) unparalleled customer service. If either of these is broken then they get fixed. Period.

Now, it's obvious we have a problem, and we're going to fix it.

Here's how:

Going forward (and some that went out today already) all the pivot bushings will ship with a sleeve with a slightly smaller OD. This means that the sleeve will not press in, but will just slip in (like the stock sleeve into the stock bushings). For those of you wondering this is the sleeve we use for the 5MT pivot bushings. We've checked it out, and feel it will work quite well (and more importantly will be easier to install). Keep in mind the bushings are a tighter fit into the lever, and into the clevis. The tight fit at the clevis is where 95% of the magic happens.

Here's how you can tell if you have a new, smaller OD sleeve or an older possibly too large sleeve:
The new smaller OD sleeve will have a black stripe down the length of it.

For those of you who have already purchased the pivot bushings in the group buy:

1) If they installed ok for you, and you are happy with them then we're cool.

2) If you tried to install them and borked the bushings we will send you a new set with the updated sleeve.

3) If you purchased them, have NOT installed them yet, and are worried about the sleeve you have then we will send you a new sleeve. The bushings you have will not be any different so we'll only send the sleeve.

* If we end up sending you a new set or a new sleeve please return the original sleeve to us (cheapest method is ok). The reason is because those sleeves are an odd size so they have to be custom machined from raw stock. This makes the cost of them kinda high. If you send us the original sleeve we can have it turned down to the new size, and it'll help save us a little.

So, here's how to make things happen:
We have set up a specific email account to deal with this problem. The address is [email protected]. You will need to email that account for us to know you are having trouble. Please read below and follow the instructions so we can get it fixed for you quickly.

This is the information we will need:

The name you used for ordering, both first and last
The order number (if you have it)
Whether or not you need a full set or just the sleeve. If you don't tell us then we'll sigh, email you back, and it will increase the delay in getting this fixed.

We will then look up your order and ship to the exact same address that we originally shipped to.

·
Registered
785 Posts
This is terrific Clint. What a stand up vendor. Can't thank you enough. E-mailed you. :tup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honestly, i'm not surprised at all by how well they are handling it. It's TiC.

i just wish i read the online instructions before doing my "front clicky" bushings.... grrrrrrrr

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i guess what is happening is, on the pivot tubes that are a little tighter (you mentioned they did vary from car to car) the tighter fit compresses the ID too small for the sleve to fit correctly.

very good of you guys to stand up like this.

ted

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just sent as note to Clint,I was one of the ones with problems(see earlier post)after a test drive even with a "borked" bushing there was a marked improvement in my shifter.The fore and aft feel is much more solid and precise.There is still some side to side "slop" when in gear,but I attribute that to the rest of the stock bushings in the linkage(these are the only ones I've changed as of now).Lastly,I can't say how refreshing it is to deal with some one who stands by there product no matter what.TIC researches, designs,manufactures, and goes on to stand behind them.Now we see if there is an issue with something they address it and do there their best to correct it.As I told Clint in a pm after this I will be a customer for as long as they have products for whatever car a will have in the future.Chris

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Bravo, TiC. I also emailed about a "borked" bushing. I'm driving it now with the torn up bushing, and the feel is still much better than before. Can't wait to get the replacements and feel the complete difference.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i got mine to fit, but this just goes to show you the type of company tic is. they're the best vendor out there, period. this is why i have every product that tic makes for my sti. they back up what they sell. thanks clint, tony, and everyone at tic!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I completely borked my set, I got them in finally but it was just too must of a disaster for me to trust so I but the stockers back in. What should have been a 15 min. install turned intoa couple of hours of install/removal. Wish I would have saw this thread about a few hours earlier. These were ruffer of an install than the linkage bushing and those were real tuff. I would like to say thanks to Clint for taking care of this problem and pointed me here after I called him about it. I thought at first I was a complete fool for not being able to do this and I can do the rest of the drivetrain installs, tune cars, etc. lol. Thumbs up to a vendor that stands behind there products. Things like this are expected for new products fresh out of production into a massive group buy. Very pleased with the service.

·
Premium Member
14,740 Posts
Very nice TiC....if only "other" companys would follow this business practice;) :tup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
mom always said "don't install them bushin's without makin' sure them cool TIC guys don't have fresh info first"
guess what i get for not listening :rolleyes:
total borkage. i was just going to eat the $10 because the Bodacious Bushing Bundle i also installed is just too sweet. but this is just...well, too cool for words.
thanks TIC

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
hey Clint,

got the bushings yesterday... installed them in 10 mins on mine.. still waiting to install the kb ss and these on my bros.. wont be for awhile but i think it shouldnt be a problem.

thnx again for the superb customer service!!!

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Heading home today to get them from the mail. Hopefully I got the new batch, but thanks!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Got the replacement pieces. Installed them in less than 10 minutes. Everything went in very easily by hand, no extra tools required. I greased everything fairly heavily although it was not as necessary with the new pieces. Everything fit great and the shifter is much tighter now. Quite a difference, thanks again Clint. :tup:

BTW.. you should have recieved my old sleeve that I sent back to you.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
flatthump said:
TiC is pwnage

Actually, i only have one decal on my car and it says 'Turninconcepts.com'
me too, well, i have the bull. :tup:

the borked bushings feel great, can't wait for the real deal replacements.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Great customer service - I wish "others" would follow your example. I know I'll be your customer when I upgrade my bushings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts