IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
So last weekend I drove down to Houston to see the old man. He's been flip flopping on buying a new car so i told him to go with me for some test drives. His first choice is to buy a 350Z, so naturally we made our way out to the nissan dealership in The Woodlands ( just south actually).

Anyway, there were lots of people at the dealership and it was liek some huge block party was going on. We do some window shopping until one of the bloodthirsty salescritters makes his way out to meet us. We chat for a bit and get the usual lame shpiel. So i ask the guy for a test drive and let my old man go first. He rolls out onto the service road, circles the block, and then returns to the lot and gets out of the car with a strange look on his face. It was kinda like he had to go to the bathroom but was having trouble deciding if he had to do number 1 or 2. In any case he was fairly underwhelmed with the test drive.

Well, then its my turn. I hop in, adjust the mirrors, and the roll out. I get onto the service road and give it the gas. The power was extremely weak and listlessly steady and I was completely amazed by how much of a disappointment driving that car was. I do a few turns and return to the lot and get out of the car. I immediately had the vaguest feeling, is it number ... or do i feel like number 2...

Yes, IMHO the 350z is hugely overpriced and quite a bore of a drive. Needless to say the old man decided it was not what he wanted.

Well, i suggest to him to drive a real man's car and direct him to head to the Subaru dealership. We pull into the lot and noticed only one other person on the lot, a granola looking dude looking at an outback. Immediately i dart off to the nearest STi, a beauty with blue on gold. My pop walks up and wipes the slobber from my face and takes a good hard look at the car. His first impressions... lose the wing and maybe, but definitely a nice looking car and far better to see in person than in the photos.

Shortly thereafter, another salescritter walks up to us. She starts to tell us about the features of the car at which point my eyes begin to glaze over. All i actually remember from that long winded lecture was:

"... and this is the intercooler spray. Remember, water plus oxygen equals power..."

I was like W THE F ???

After that little bit of salesbarf i asked her for a test drive. Her response was:

"...sorry but we do not offer test drives on these cars because the people that want them are collectors and don't want any miles on them. Alot of these folks already know everything about the car and don't need a test drive to make up their minds..."

While, i can somewhat understand the logic i was extremely pissed off, especially since my experiences back at Subaru of Dallas were completely opposite. So I tell her that i am extremely disappointed about not getting a test drive to which she responds:

"...we can let you test drive if you let us pull credit on you..."

At which point my response was no thanks, have a nice day.

I can not believe the bull **** that came out of that salesperson's mouth and i can assure them i will never buy a car from that dealership. What a shame.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i forgot the most important part. It was my third attempt to test drive an STi and yet a third time i was denied. Its always something. Hopefully the next time i go to SoD i will be able to make my appointment. Heck, i've waited almost 4 years i guess i can wait a bit longer.:cool:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
No test drive = no chance at purchase, period. I always make sure I'm prepared for a humorous time whenever I go down to a dealership; the crap that spews out of most of these people's mouths, especially with cars like the 350Z and STi, is ridiculous.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to stir the pot and play devils advocate...I can kind of understand response of "Alot of these folks already know everything about the car and don't need a test drive to make up their minds..." You know its a high performance car, you have read all the reviews, you know its 1/4 mi time, its 0-60 in tad over 4 seconds, you know a top speed of 150ish...do you really need a test drive?

Generally the clientell looking to purchase a STi/Evo/Vette/911 know what they are purchasing and don't need a test drive

If your looking for test drive find a dealership with a used STi on the lot, those are a bit easier to get the sales guy to just hand over the keys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldn't want to buy a brand new car with a fresh engine that hasn't been broken in yet that has been test driven. The first thing a potential buyer would do is zing it to the redline. At least thats what I would do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The real problem is people go to the dealer to drive the STI with no intention on buying it. They want to make sure you qualify before they let you buy to see if you are serious. It sucks but I know someone at a Subbie dealer that has ,usually younger males, come in take an hour of their time, test drive the STI and never intended on buying it. I would guess that if you have good credit they would strap you in. I know of a guy who went to a used lot looking at and EVO and the same thing happened. Guess they are just tired of wasting time and putting miles on the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
from what i have read it is subaru's policy to have no more than 11 miles on an sti at the time of purchase. the only time i have ever heard of test drives were on used models.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When I was looking at my STi before purchasing it, I asked about a test drive, and the guy said no. I immediately got up to walk out, then he told me that if I was serious about buying one (which I was), we could work something out. And let me just say I feel sorry for the dude who bought the car I tested...the salesman actually told me to jump on it as soon as we got to a long, wide-open section of divided highway...well I did just that.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Talon said:
from what i have read it is subaru's policy to have no more than 11 miles on an sti at the time of purchase. the only time i have ever heard of test drives were on used models.
I got 2 test drives on the exact car I was going to buy (about 2 days apart). The sales guy didn't even bat an eyelash. He gave me the keys, told me a route that gave me some different driving situations and let me go alone. I took it home with 44 miles on the clock and I probably did 10-15 of those myself on the test drives. Regardless of what I know about a car performance-wise, I will never buy one without a test drive.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
SDomain said:
Generally the clientell looking to purchase a STi/Evo/Vette/911 know what they are purchasing and don't need a test drive
i agree, but disagree at the same time. in my own experience, i knew i was going to purchase an sti or evo. i just didn't know which one. i read about all the differences and similarities between them, but words can only describe so much. the test drive comparisons had a huge influence on my decision to go w/ the sti.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I bought mine without a test drive...
It's worth it, IMO ;)

As far as the Z, I wonder if the "track Edition" would be more fun?
I like the looks of the Z, but I can tell I'd be bored with the power real fast.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
SDomain said:
Just to stir the pot and play devils advocate...I can kind of understand response of "Alot of these folks already know everything about the car and don't need a test drive to make up their minds..." You know its a high performance car, you have read all the reviews, you know its 1/4 mi time, its 0-60 in tad over 4 seconds, you know a top speed of 150ish...do you really need a test drive?

If your looking for test drive find a dealership with a used STi on the lot, those are a bit easier to get the sales guy to just hand over the keys.
Agree 100%. I didn't need a test drive.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
cho_yang said:
You said it pt518sti.....I bought it without a test drive (from a wrx) and was already quite familiar with the STI.

I remember four things when I drove from the lot onto the freeway:

Wow....this thing is stiff, nice! :cool:
Whoa....this thing is loud, tight!:tup:
Dang....this thing revs quick, man!:eek:
Check out ricers looking at me.....they hate me cuz I'm great!:lol:
:lol::clap:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you guys are missing something i mentioned in my original post. The salesperson told me that they do not allow test drives period. It wasn't until i told her i was very disappointed that they do not offer test drives that she told me she would let me drive it if she pulled credit.

Lets say i don't buy the car afterwords? I have a check on my credit which goes against my credit and she has a car that has had some more mileage added to it.

I guess what im saying is that these salepeople are bunch of gits sometimes and this one basically lied and then tried to cover her tracks.

...for the record... my credit is in the top 10% in the country, its just the principle that bugs me...

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
rgt said:
I think you guys are missing something i mentioned in my original post. The salesperson told me that they do not allow test drives period. It wasn't until i told her i was very disappointed that they do not offer test drives that she told me she would let me drive it if she pulled credit.

Lets say i don't buy the car afterwords? I have a check on my credit which goes against my credit and she has a car that has had some more mileage added to it.

I guess what im saying is that these salepeople are bunch of gits sometimes and this one basically lied and then tried to cover her tracks.

...for the record... my credit is in the top 10% in the country, its just the principle that bugs me...
When most people test drive a car they do just that. Unfortunately, The way to test an STi is to open it up. If its a new car then that thwarts the manufactures break in instructions.

Wouldn't you like to know that your brand new STi wasn't abused by anyone but yourself?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Talon said:
Not true. I just bought one with 40 miles on it. The dealership insists on accompanying people on test drives, and won't let you go over 4K, but allows them.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I went to the dealer and was told by the salesman "Do they let you take a boat out for a test drive if you wanna?"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
After all the great info i got on this site i didnt need a test drive .
I walked in ordered one in black w/short throw
Paid cash so no credit check
Thank god ,it sucks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts