IW STi Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Supposedly SCR is a great shop. Everyone raves about them. I had them do some minor work on the car and was not very satisfied. Regardless, I have lots of recs for shops that are across the country, and very few from the northeast.

I will look into Element. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So I just talked to Pete at SCR and they will install a prebuilt engine, but as expected, if anything goes wrong, they will not take responsibility. Since the engines that they build themselves don't have any kind of real warranty, I am not sure how big of a problem this is. Are there engine builders out there that will waranty a built motor?

The reason I wanted EFI to do it is because they are the closest reputable shop to my house (within 1 hour) and I have heard nothing but excellent things about their work. However Pete also informed me that they are backed up on all major builds through May. Meaning even just installing and tuning a prebuilt engine will take months. Looks like I will have to consider other options...

Looking into Ralispec, Performance Auto Solutions, AMR, and Element... any other shops in the northeast that anyone would recommend for a big job like this? Anyone have any other experience with engines built or tuned by these guys?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Another option is to choose a shop for your shortblock and send them your heads, cam gears, oil pipes and timing parts etc. after you pull the block yourself or someone else. Get the shop selling the shortblock to clean up the heads and cam gears and build you a long block and ship that back to you. Then you put it back in yourself or have someone do it. I am getting this done for around 10k. Some shops will take a while and others won't, you will have to ask them. I bought mine in September and am still waiting but I am not in a hurry. Patience are running short now though!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
So I just talked to Pete at SCR and they will install a prebuilt engine, but as expected, if anything goes wrong, they will not take responsibility. Since the engines that they build themselves don't have any kind of real warranty, I am not sure how big of a problem this is. Are there engine builders out there that will waranty a built motor?

The reason I wanted EFI to do it is because they are the closest reputable shop to my house (within 1 hour) and I have heard nothing but excellent things about their work. However Pete also informed me that they are backed up on all major builds through May. Meaning even just installing and tuning a prebuilt engine will take months. Looks like I will have to consider other options...

Looking into Ralispec, Performance Auto Solutions, AMR, and Element... any other shops in the northeast that anyone would recommend for a big job like this? Anyone have any other experience with engines built or tuned by these guys?
Go to IAG.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Rallispec and AMR are no good. Give IAG a call. I've been getting complaints that IAG is slow to respond to e-mails about quotes. They are undergoing lots of growing pains with all the new machines and new products that will be getting announced this month but it is no excuse for them be slow on responding to e-mails and potentially losing out on new customers :(

·
Registered
883 Posts
I believe IAG offers a warranty if they build and install the motor! To be honest, I don't know why every shop wouldn't warranty a motor build, if they build, and install it, and either tune it, or look at the existing tune on the car. If a shop won't warranty a motor that they build, install, and tune.... They are not confident in their own abilities, and therefore would be scratched off the list if it were my build!! Its pretty sad to keep seeing peoiple spend $10-$20,000 on a complete build at a shop, and then getting completely screwed when the motor goes again, sometimes in just a few hundted miles!
BTW, AMR is surely on the list of scumbag companies not to trust with your Subaru!!

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Go to IAG.
So I just talked to Pete at SCR and they will install a prebuilt engine, but as expected, if anything goes wrong, they will not take responsibility. Since the engines that they build themselves don't have any kind of real warranty, I am not sure how big of a problem this is. Are there engine builders out there that will waranty a built motor? . . . Looking into Ralispec, Performance Auto Solutions, AMR, and Element... any other shops in the northeast that anyone would recommend for a big job like this? Anyone have any other experience with engines built or tuned by these guys?
No one I know of offers an actual warranty.

I'm in the same boat time wise. I would build today. IAG hasn't gotten me an estimate/quote or schedule. I think I have a close to a dozen emails and a long phone conversation during the last month. Ralispec has never even answered one email, and I've made several inquiries of the last three years.

Frustrated.

I believe IAG offers a warranty
No they don't. Info obtained firsthand. They say they stand behind their work, but no written or official warranty.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts