IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered SS brake lines and picked up some ATE Super Blue the other day. But I have some concerns now with the longevity of the lines. Stainless Steel exhibits work hardening. This means that the material becomes harder as it is stressed beyond its yield point. My question then, is work hardening a concern with stainless steel brake lines? Along the same lines, how many miles have people put on SS lines? and how many track days? Since the lines themselves are relatively cheap, I don't care if they become a wear item. But I don't want to be going one bill plus and have a line failure. That would definately not be fun.

· Banned
7,514 Posts
No, work hardening is not a concern on these. the only reason the SS is there is to protect the actual "hose" material which is teflon (or one of the teflon's by other manufacturers, but can't use the "teflon" name). Rubber expands. Teflon does not, BUT it is very easily damaged. The SS is a wrap over the teflon to protect it from the environment to keep it from being torn or cut.

· Poor Speed Racer
4,528 Posts
I would recomend these as one of the BEST mods i have done to my sti. I've had my goodridge lines on for about 16K miles now. I've had 10 or so days at the track with SS-lines, ATE, and pagid pads and they all work GREAT.

As TiC explained, lines should not become a wear item, unless you think you can fit 275s on 9.5s in the wheel wells ;)

· Registered
1,200 Posts
I have the STi brake lines and I love them. The reason I went with the STi (cost me arm and leg) is because they have a double layer of stainless steel mesh and that coating over it is very thick. This is the most important part of the SS lines because if you live in an area like I do (michigan), water will get inbetween the mesh, and as you know water expands once it freezes. It tears up cement so the stainless steel is not a match either for the ice.

Just make sure you check the ends and the hose once in a while when you swap pads for the track etc. The only way to make sure is by checking. I have had my lines for over 10k now and plenty of track days without any issues since the first instal.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Turninconcepts.com said:
No, work hardening is not a concern on these. the only reason the SS is there is to protect the actual "hose" material which is teflon (or one of the teflon's by other manufacturers, but can't use the "teflon" name). Rubber expands. Teflon does not, BUT it is very easily damaged. The SS is a wrap over the teflon to protect it from the environment to keep it from being torn or cut.
Shoulda covered them with CF? :lol:

But seriously :tup: on the SS lines, I love mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.