IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my brother's WRX seems to chip and ding fairly easily. Have any of you had this problem with your STi? I know the EPA friendly water based paints combined with thin subey sheet metal used to save weight have not been too road friendly. I'm looking for a white or silver STi, so I am hoping these colors will help mask any battle scars. Your thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a white STi with 11,000 miles on the odo and have only 2 chips on the entire car. One on the passenger side pillar and one chip/ding on the roof right above the drivers side. I can not express how important it is to install a clear bra on your car if you this sort of thing concerns you. Completely worth the expense imo.

edit: but to answer your question, yes white or silver will be best to "hide" chips scrates etc. Silver more so than white.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
i thought we were 14 guage steel? (except for hood of course) dont know what other cars bodies are made of, but i understood we were a little thicker/more durable?

·
Registered
949 Posts
i need to get the clear bra.
i am disappointed with the quality of subaru's paint.
my g/f's white honda civic seems to hold up much better than my white sti

·
Registered
142 Posts
I previously had an '02 WRB WRX and compared to our other car at the time('02 RSX) the paint sucked on the WRX. The WRB color had a white undercoat which would really show every little chip. Our new '04 Aspen White STi honestly doesn't seem much better at 5,000 miles. I considered getting a clear bra for the STi but after I estimated material and pro install the cost was close to having the parts repainted so I passed on that idea. Honestly, even with the paint damage to my '02 WRB WRX the car still looked really good. I just wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the car. Most of the damage to the WRX was from "offroad" and "interstate

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Also a clear bra is helpful but on the darker colors its kinda pointless as your car will be covered in swirl marks after a lot of miles :( Granted it'll protect from rock chips, but... *shrug* Im trying to find something to go through and take all my swirl marks off and just start over correctly (dawn, claybar, zaino..). Anyone know of a good product to do this? Even if it takes off all the wax/polish?

Robert~

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Swirl is very fine scratches in the clearcoat. The only way to remove it is to use a polishing compound to abrade the clearcoat down past the scratches. That should only be done by professional, and it's of dubious value since you're only going to end up scratching the clearcoat. I don't care how carefully you wash/wax, anytime anything solid touches the clearcoat, it's going to scratch it.

The best approach, I think, is to wash very carefully and use a swirl reducer before waxing/polishing. Swirl reducers fill in the scratches so they're not as visible.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed by how tin-foil-like the body panels are. I have a couple of mystery dents that are not near the door ding areas.

But surprisingly, very few paint chips.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Gansan said:
I have a white STi I can not express how important it is to install a clear bra on your car if you this sort of thing concerns you. Completely worth the expense imo.
YES! I love the clear bra. I have had a few impacts on the clear bra and my paint is still intact and dent free. Driving down the hiway I had a big UFO impact my passenger mirror. It slapped the mirror closed against the window and chunked the clearbra but the paint is still intact. It also left a few scratch marks on the rear passenger door but those buffed out.

I am probably going over the top but I installed the hood protector today.

Hood protector here
http://home.kc.rr.com/cerberus/images/Hood deflector2.jpg

I also have the Australian headlight covers OTW. I like the HID and I don't want to chunk them especially after clearing out the orange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts