IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been since July. I really like the car but something about it makes me want to sell it. Yeah its fast but I really like the New 2004 Acura TL. Now that I am seeing more STi's on the road seems the cars not rare anymore (One of the reasons I bought it to be diffrent). Seems everyone I know is like why did you get a Subaru?
Don't get me wrong I love my car just really starting to have some doubts. Kind of odd but the Evo is also starting to look better everytime I see it and it continues to win more awards in magazine. Oh well thats just my personal feelings lately, curious to hear some comments :roll:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
TL is a great vehicle..
Check for drugs, if the results are negative and u still want to sell STi, good luck with your future purchase....
Wait for 2004 Detroit Auto show.. Lots of nice new cars coming out.. Including new Legacy.. Maybe u find somehting u like there..
Good Luck and keep us informed on how your shopping goes... Make sure u test drive before u jump into something different though...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Who says man must live with only one vehicle??? Keep it and get something else also! Like pizzas, there is no such thing as a best one... just different (and favorite) ones!!!

Opal

·
Registered
586 Posts
Nero

How many miles do you have on it so far and what mods are on it right now?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
wrxsti04 said:
Seems everyone I know is like why did you get a Subaru?
1. Does this really matter? Anyone who knows anything knows Subarus are good cars.

2. Acuras are good cars. I admire them everytime I send one crying home to mommy. :lol: And just so you know, it's the Acura everytime who wants to race me, obviously knowing nothing about cars.

Kind of odd but the Evo is also starting to look better everytime I see it and it continues to win more awards in magazine.
EVO's are nice. If they had better paint jobs, I would say they look nicer from the exterior. Interior, though, goes to the STi hands down, not even close.

Basically, the majority of your comments make it sound like you are concerned with other people's opinions. Your friends like Hondas, not Subarus. Magazines like the EVO better.

So I guess I have to ask, why did you buy the STi in the first place? If you don't know, maybe it's not the right car for you. But in that case, I don't think the EVO will be either, because next year maybe something else comes along that the magazines like better. Just make sure next time you plunk down $30k on a car you know why you want it and whether or not other people's opinions of your car matter. You will be losing thousands of dollars right now when you trade in your STi for whatever you are getting next. Most people can't afford to keep wasting money like that just because their neighbors don't know what a Subaru is.

Good luck, whatever you do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RadarOnPaws said:
wrxsti04 said:
Seems everyone I know is like why did you get a Subaru?
1. Does this really matter? Anyone who knows anything knows Subarus are good cars.

I agree they are good cars

2. Acuras are good cars. I admire them everytime I send one crying home to mommy. :lol: And just so you know, it's the Acura everytime who wants to race me, obviously knowing nothing about cars.

Yeah I set a V8 Pontaic Firebird stright with 4 other people in the car

Kind of odd but the Evo is also starting to look better everytime I see it and it continues to win more awards in magazine.
EVO's are nice. If they had better paint jobs, I would say they look nicer from the exterior. Interior, though, goes to the STi hands down, not even close.

I agree the reason I did not get an Evo is the interior and their reliabilty down the road. My brother has a Galant and it is falling apart on him at 70K and I also have a friend with a 99 Eclipse GSX who says Mitsubishi are crap.

Basically, the majority of your comments make it sound like you are concerned with other people's opinions. Your friends like Hondas, not Subarus. Magazines like the EVO better.

Yeah I noticed this the recent article is in the "Sport Compact Car"

So I guess I have to ask, why did you buy the STi in the first place?

Always wanted and finnally had the money to get one. I wanted to be diffrent then others. Was looking for some speed (Quite happy with the speed)

If you don't know, maybe it's not the right car for you. But in that case, I don't think the EVO will be either, because next year maybe something else comes along that the magazines like better. Just make sure next time you plunk down $30k on a car you know why you want it and whether or not other people's opinions of your car matter.

Thanks, I know how it works and how much I spent.

You will be losing thousands of dollars right now when you trade in your STi for whatever you are getting next. Most people can't afford to keep wasting money like that just because their neighbors don't know what a Subaru is.

No I could care less what others think. Just think most of us are getting the car for speed and I am starting to grow out of it. Car feels real cheap in several areas and you know it. Flappy wing, hood scoop steering wheel, Breaks squeak, can't get but like 5 wheels for the car etc etc. All of which no one really knew would exist on this car. I probably shouldn't argue with you because I am just opt to get flamed even more.

Had a feeling I would get flamed but I am trying to see what others thought. Kind of like marriage counseling (for my car and me of course) :p

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I wouldn't call it flaming. . . more like, "If you had any doubts, why did you buy it?" kind of questions. :)

Seriously. . . don't listen to the magazines. I've alwasy been under the belief that they're NEVER an unbiased source for comparison-shopping. See if you can first drive someone's Evo, or take one off a lot for a drive, to make a real-world determination for yourself.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I'm not flaming, but I honestly don't understand how you can say no one knew the car would have a wing and hood scoop. They had them from the time they were introduced here, and even if you had money in on one before they got here, you could always cancel your order and at worst you would just have a pissed off Subaru dealer. Also, I figure at most you could have had your car for a few months. I don't understand how you can change your mind that fast. For myself personally, if I didn't know if I wanted my car anymore after a few months, I'd say I made a hasty decision to purchase. That's where I am coming from when I see that people want to sell their cars after just a few months.

So I apologize if you felt I was trying to flame you, I guess I just see a lot of people either buying or considering the STi for maybe the wrong reasons and it's hard to understand given the price tag. It's hardly an impulse buy, ya know? :)

Seriously, if I was flaming, it was unintentional and I apologize. You have to understand, the concept of buying a brand new car and then trading it in months later is a hard concept for me. All I was trying to communicate is, make a list of WHY you bought it. Make a list of why you would like the alternatives, and if they are worth losing X thousands of dollars over. If the list has other's opinions, I'd be wary of taking action on it. If you honestly know why you want another car, and don't mind the loss, then go for it! Just be honest with yourself. YOU, not your friends or neighbors, own and drive your car. If they happen to like more "dignified" cars, good for them. Who cares? If you want something more dignified, that's a better reason. But you can still swap trunks, get a FMIC, and swap hoods and have a stealth STi.

That's all. Peace! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yukonart said:
I wouldn't call it flaming. . . more like, "If you had any doubts, why did you buy it?" kind of questions. :)

Seriously. . . don't listen to the magazines. I've alwasy been under the belief that they're NEVER an unbiased source for comparison-shopping. See if you can first drive someone's Evo, or take one off a lot for a drive, to make a real-world determination for yourself.
1) Test drove the Evo but never test drove the STi (Test drove the Evo prior to order my STi)

2) Had zero doubt when I purchaed it and now have doubt 5 months later after getting used to the car and so on

3) I agree the magazines are somewhat biased, was only using it as a point not a reason for selling the car.

4) If I sell my STi I would get a diffrent car like a 2004 Acura TL, 2004 Acura TSX, 2003 BMW 325i, Lexus IS300. Would not get a lancer, should have never even mentioed it. :roll:

·
Registered
694 Posts
If performance isn't your priority, then - I'm just curious - what is?

It's still a limited-production car, and while you may see some around on the streets now, it's an opportunity for a knowing nod and a thumbs-up, I say. A shared enthusiasm for a great car. Compare the number of STi's out there to the number of, say ... oh, I don't know ... WRX's?

Beyond just the whee factor, you also got a car that is reliable, functional (4 doors), and suitable in all sorts of weather (AWD). All excellent selling points that have nothing to do with horsepower or brake size.

Still, if you want a fun car, with better mileage and still having a fan club, try a Mini Cooper S. When I got my STi, 40% of me was leaning in the direction of getting a Cooper S with the Works package. Now that car is a go-cart with a fun motor. I've never, and I mean never, had that much fun with any other car on a test drive.

Good luck in your - er, "struggle", and keep us updated!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RadarOnPaws said:
I'm not flaming, but I honestly don't understand how you can say no one knew the car would have a wing and hood scoop. They had them from the time they were introduced here
I am blind, thats why I did not know they existed... Just kidding I knew they had them. :lol:

Yep no hard feelings, I am a lover of the STi and know others would be curios to my comments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
wrxsti04 said:
No I could care less what others think.
You mean you could not care less, right? This is one of my peeves. I'm not trying to be a prick, just encouraging people to say what they mean.

Just think most of us are getting the car for speed and I am starting to grow out of it.
That's fine. The STi is all about speed. If you're no longer into speed, I'm not suprised you find the STi lacking. But then you just said the Evo was looking better. Well, the Evo is also all about speed. I don't see anything you've said that leads to the Evo being a better fit.

Car feels real cheap in several areas and you know it.
Of course. The STi is a no-frills performance car. It costs about a third of a "real" German sports car with similar performance. You didn't think you were getting a $31k M3 or 911, did you?

Flappy wing, hood scoop steering wheel, Breaks squeak, can't get but like 5 wheels for the car etc etc. All of which no one really knew would exist on this car. I probably shouldn't argue with you because I am just opt to get flamed even more.
I won't flame you because everything you're saying is pretty much true. But it's also not a revelation. You should have realized that most of your $31k was going into performance, not plush carpet, leather upholstery, fancy stereo, hundreds of pounds of sound deadening material, etc.

Bottom line: if the STi doesn't float your boat anymore, and you can afford something that does, go for it! Good luck, and no hard feelings.

BTW, the latest issue of Sport Compact Car has an article about buying used NSXs. Maybe something like that would be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Compare the number of STi's out there to the number of, say ... oh, I don't know ... WRX's?
Or Hondas. :roll: I used to love them, and they do make excellent products, but you can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Honda that wants to race based on some mistaken notion of the word "Honda" (or "Acura") somehow overcoming a 100+ HP deficit.

Just tired of them, that's all! Not so much them, but the drivers who think Hondas are the be-all, end-all of automotive greatness. :D

EDIT: read the post above - I love NSX's, I can exempt them from my Honda hating! :lol:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
It's been documented that Subaru imported (or planned to) just 3200 units this year. Don't know about next year, but it's definitely a niche-car that you simply will NOT see everywhere you go.

·
Registered
694 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Or Hondas. :roll: I used to love them, and they do make excellent products, but you can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Honda that wants to race based on some mistaken notion of the word "Honda" (or "Acura") somehow overcoming a 100+ HP deficit.
Sure, I can. Watch. I've got some rocks next to my porch. Be right back....

...Okay, so you were right. Hopefully they didn't see where the rock came from. :roll:

·
Registered
694 Posts
wrxsti04 said:
ZenBoy said:
It's still a limited-production car, !
Still asking myself if this true. As for the NSX comment I think I will pass on the 80,000 Acura with 2 seats. The S2000 is much nicer IMO :oops:
Oh, it is. They have a vested interest in maintaining the STi as a "specialty car". Think about it. If the STi could sell in the numbers that the WRX can, then would they make the WRX a limited-production model?

No, they'd have a 300+ hp WRX, and come up with something better for the STi. Reason being: specialty models are good PR.

Ford sure isn't making a lot of money on the Cobra, for example, but it sure sells a lot of Mustangs. If people are inspired by the car but can't buy it (due to practicality or financial constraints), they may still be able to get the next step down. Such as the WRX.

It's the same reason for manufacturer championships in auto racing, and commercials. To sell cars.

Upshot: Subaru won't quit having an STi anytime soon, I don't think. It as long as they make it, it will be limited production.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Slowride said:
BTW, the latest issue of Sport Compact Car has an article about buying used NSXs. Maybe something like that would be a better fit for you.
On a slight side note: This August I was out for a recreational drive after work one day, enjoying the nice weather, when to my surprise I ended up driving behind a late-model NSX.

I could see a lot of surprised and curious looks in his rear-view mirror when, hard as he tried, he couldn't shake me off his a**. :lol:

I wonder if he ever figured out what kind of car I was driving....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts