IW STi Forum banner

Thinking of going with the EVO

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  wojo 
#1 ·
Ever since all these magazine reviews came out, I have been battling with an issue of getting an EVO instead of STi. Based on the 5-6 reviews that I have read, the US versions of these two cars appear to be very different from each other, perhaps more than ever before. The EVO handles better, has almost neutral steering, quicker steering ratio, better brakes. It appears to be as close to a track car as a street legal car will get. On the other hand, Subaru's car is much closer to a "muscle car" or a “drag racer” with its larger engine and higher HP rating. It is faster in a straight line, and will probably become even quicker once the tuners get their hands on it and untap the potential of extra 0.5 liter and lower stock boost levels.

Below are some of MY opinions and conclusions that are driving me towards purchasing the EVO.

- I put more value on handling and go-cart type feel instead of pure straight line acceleration.
- EVO feels lighter on its feet and its very predictable.
- No massive hood scoop. The “bird-catcher” in the STi reminds me too much of the "muscle car" look (which I hate).
- The wing, despite its size, actually looks good.
- Overall, the exterior is nicer with its “sharper” lines.

Last week, I test drove ‘04 WRX for the first time so I could get a feel for the Impreza. I wasn’t too impressed to be honest. Hated the steering wheel (too big), I wasn’t thrilled about the seating position as well as the sound of the boxer engine. Hopefully, Sti is different in these areas.

Today I decided to call a few Mitsu dealers to see if I could check out the EVO in person. Found a place that had a black one in stock and sells at MSRP. First, I did a long visual inspection and found the following:
- The exterior qualities mentioned above were confirmed.
- The altezzas look “ok” with black exterior.
- The recaros are just awesome.
- The interior quality, although cheap looking, is not as bad as I thought (I had my wife with me and she was actually ok with it).
- Back seats have more head room than the WRX.

After that I managed to convince the sales manager to let me take it out on a short test drive (few minutes around the block). My initial thoughts were the following:
- The ride is not as harsh as the mags were portraying it. It all depends on what you’re driving now. My current car is pretty stiff and the change wasn’t very noticeable. I can easily live with this car as a daily driver.
- Not much is happening until the turbo spools up and then it’s just “instant rush”. The car just takes off.
- The shifter is very smooth.
- Someone mentioned that they did not like the way the clutch felt. I actually liked it as it was closer to my current car. For me, WRX would take a lot of getting used to.
- And last, the engine sounds great at high rpms. I have always been a fan of the inline four sound. Many people love the boxer sound, but like I said above the WRX just didn’t cut for me.

That’s all I managed to observe before the salesperson got “nervous” and asked me to go back.

Since I am 99% convinced, I will go with the EVO, does anyone want my spot on the Sti waiting list? I am #2 in line in the Northern Virginia area.

See less See more
#27 ·
Hey, everyone is allowed to spend their money however they choose. If they want a Mitsubishi, then let them buy an Evo. If they want to buy a reliable car, then let them buy an STi...

;)

Just teas'n......

#28 ·
Speedlimit said:
tien said:
The steering ratio on the STI is as fast or faster than on Porsche Boxter, Vette, S4, M3, 350Z.....why would you have to change it...just to make it like the Evo? :roll: I do agree that if it's that important to you to have a go-kart steering ratio and handling and go-kart harsh ride quality to match...then you should definitely get the Evo.

As for how easy it is to mod the Evo for power....true, but only within limits. Most people who make big power (350 or more) in the Evo have to swap out the turbo in order to do it.......this means no more twin scroll turbo, which means even more lag. Good luck matching the STI's lag free torque with this method...., again if you don't mind the lag....then the Evo's the obvious choice.
You are at a disadvantage without having driven the EVO or STI.:)
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathamatical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what it's like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the Evo relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from Evo owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:

#29 ·
tien said:
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathamatical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what it's like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the Evo relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from Evo owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:
tien said:
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathematical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what its like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the EVO relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from EVO owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:
Have you driven an STI or EVO? If not, then your argument is not based upon experience but anecdotal which is a disadvantage.:) I am at an advantage in that I CAN compare my EVO to many other cars I have driven, hence the reason for the comment. The bleeding kidney comments refer to severly potholed roads and both cars would probably aid in passing a kidney stone!; harsh yes.... uncomfortable no....perfect for the twisties. These cars ARE different than anything you have driven and much more than the summation of technical numbers and bench racing steering ratios. You will find that out when you drive either.

"The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?"

Absolutely yes and your lack of knowledge of the 4G63 is showing my friend. Excessive lag is a poor choice to describe the EVO's response to WOT. The EVO gearing and boost levels are perfect for preparing to enter a curve and leaving it and lag is not an issue. Hanging on to the wheel is! :D And the difference between the EVO and STI relative to lag has little to do with displacement physics but a lot to do with AVC. The STI clearly is quicker and has less lag. So is an SVT Cobra and every magazine I have read says the EVO will lose both in the twisties. :)

I am not trying to think for you or convince you to buy an EVO. The thread originator was asking for opinion and I opined where I felt information was inaccurate based upon my experience. Enjoy your new car. :)

Speedlimit........ :)

#30 ·
CloNeGTS said:
Everyone's opinion is different. Personally, I find it very disturbing how much people look into the winners and losers of the magazine writeups. These care are SO close in performance they are in essence the same car, only the job gets done in a little different way from the sound of things.

Whatever your guts tell you....that's the right way to go. I've always felt that unless something horrific went wrong in the transition from JDM to USDM, the STi is the only car for me. I'm a Subaru fan through and through.

Again, go for what your gut tells you. Personally, I find it disturbing that people are putting so much blind faith in a few journalists who can apparently drive once in a while. As an indication of this, you even said they have been completely wrong about the stiffness of the EVO. What else are they wrong on?

YUP! Well said.....

#36 ·
04-STI said:
wojo said:
Since I am 99% convinced, I will go with the EVO, does anyone want my spot on the Sti waiting list? I am #2 in line in the Northern Virginia area.

Any takers on your #2 STi spot yet? If not...Which dealership? Which color/wheel combination? Terms of sale? MSRP?
Sorry my spot is long gone and I just picked up a black EVO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.