IW STi Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
tien said:
The steering ratio on the STI is as fast or faster than on Porsche Boxter, Vette, S4, M3, 350Z.....why would you have to change it...just to make it like the Evo? :roll: I do agree that if it's that important to you to have a go-kart steering ratio and handling and go-kart harsh ride quality to match...then you should definitely get the Evo.

As for how easy it is to mod the Evo for power....true, but only within limits. Most people who make big power (350 or more) in the Evo have to swap out the turbo in order to do it.......this means no more twin scroll turbo, which means even more lag. Good luck matching the STI's lag free torque with this method...., again if you don't mind the lag....then the Evo's the obvious choice.
You are at a disadvantage without having driven the EVO or STI.:) Of the 5 magazine head to head reviews I have read, the EVO won all 5. I think Subaru missed the bulls eye with the STI relative to handling. Plus the summation by most reviewers was the EVO is more fun. :)

Discussing HP limitations on AWD rally cars is mental masturbation. Both cars are limited by the drivetrains and only a handful of tuners will take either car beyond 350hp where stuff starts breaking. The majority of us will add an intake, exhaust, boost and fuel control; Dave Buschur is offering 90 additional horsepower for under 2k with the above stuff for the EVO and it is available now, with 19psi of boost and not fooling with timing.

Finally, 99% of the people discussing 350 to 400hp have never owned a car capable of half that hp/weight ratio and haven't a clue what it means concerning driveablity and reliablity. Either way, both cars are in a different zip code compared to what we have had to choose from in the past. Enjoy!

Speedlimit..... :)

The part you are missing about most of us having ordered this car.....we are die hard Subaru fans, we all love the WRX and would probably drive one if we don't already have one. There isn't a car out there that would make me NOT get the STi. It's part brand loyalty, but the majority of it is loving the WRX and knowing this is the next best thing.

To most of us.....we aren't watching the field except for competition purposes. There is no competition for most of us. We will get the STi no matter how long it takes and whatever other car comes out. That's our situtation.

I'm calling you crazy for going and making the decision without seeing/driving both cars because you are obviously in limbo. For you to deprive yourself of the opportunity to FOR SURE determine that the STi is not for you.....well, it's just that......depriving yourself.

I suppose i'm in the minority of people that think that the EVO just looks funny. Plus Mitsubishi has a shady reputation with sports car quality in the U.S. Am I the only one who remembers the 3000GT and its horrid tranny among other things.

Hey, everyone is allowed to spend their money however they choose. If they want a Mitsubishi, then let them buy an Evo. If they want to buy a reliable car, then let them buy an STi...

;)

Just teas'n......

Speedlimit said:
tien said:
The steering ratio on the STI is as fast or faster than on Porsche Boxter, Vette, S4, M3, 350Z.....why would you have to change it...just to make it like the Evo? :roll: I do agree that if it's that important to you to have a go-kart steering ratio and handling and go-kart harsh ride quality to match...then you should definitely get the Evo.

As for how easy it is to mod the Evo for power....true, but only within limits. Most people who make big power (350 or more) in the Evo have to swap out the turbo in order to do it.......this means no more twin scroll turbo, which means even more lag. Good luck matching the STI's lag free torque with this method...., again if you don't mind the lag....then the Evo's the obvious choice.
You are at a disadvantage without having driven the EVO or STI.:)
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathamatical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what it's like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the Evo relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from Evo owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:

tien said:
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathamatical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what it's like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the Evo relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from Evo owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:
tien said:
Evidently you are at a disadvantage, why else would you talk around the points made above rather than address them? The steering ratio of the different cars mentioned is simply a mathematical fact, as is the Evo's horsepower deficit. And I have driven many of the aforementioned cars with said steering ratios so I know what its like based on personal experience.

The excessive lag in the EVO relative to the STI is a mater of displacement physics. The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?

The harsh ride quality is a matter of opinion of those who have driven the car, and is even a stated fact of some how own it. On Evolutionm.net there are owners who complain of bleeding kidneys, bump steer, and bump throttle (hit a bump and the chassis reacts so harshly it causes the throttle to bump against the foot and makes the car surge). These comments come from EVO owners who have had the dubious advantage of experiencing it first hand. :roll:
Have you driven an STI or EVO? If not, then your argument is not based upon experience but anecdotal which is a disadvantage.:) I am at an advantage in that I CAN compare my EVO to many other cars I have driven, hence the reason for the comment. The bleeding kidney comments refer to severly potholed roads and both cars would probably aid in passing a kidney stone!; harsh yes.... uncomfortable no....perfect for the twisties. These cars ARE different than anything you have driven and much more than the summation of technical numbers and bench racing steering ratios. You will find that out when you drive either.

"The small engine turbo charged to within an inch of its life is laggy. Are you denying this?"

Absolutely yes and your lack of knowledge of the 4G63 is showing my friend. Excessive lag is a poor choice to describe the EVO's response to WOT. The EVO gearing and boost levels are perfect for preparing to enter a curve and leaving it and lag is not an issue. Hanging on to the wheel is! :D And the difference between the EVO and STI relative to lag has little to do with displacement physics but a lot to do with AVC. The STI clearly is quicker and has less lag. So is an SVT Cobra and every magazine I have read says the EVO will lose both in the twisties. :)

I am not trying to think for you or convince you to buy an EVO. The thread originator was asking for opinion and I opined where I felt information was inaccurate based upon my experience. Enjoy your new car. :)

Speedlimit........ :)

CloNeGTS said:
Everyone's opinion is different. Personally, I find it very disturbing how much people look into the winners and losers of the magazine writeups. These care are SO close in performance they are in essence the same car, only the job gets done in a little different way from the sound of things.

Whatever your guts tell you....that's the right way to go. I've always felt that unless something horrific went wrong in the transition from JDM to USDM, the STi is the only car for me. I'm a Subaru fan through and through.

Again, go for what your gut tells you. Personally, I find it disturbing that people are putting so much blind faith in a few journalists who can apparently drive once in a while. As an indication of this, you even said they have been completely wrong about the stiffness of the EVO. What else are they wrong on?

YUP! Well said.....

CloNeGTS said:
Where the heck did that come from?

That avatar has been around since Day 2 of us having em. It's a classic!
Not continuously... I think everyone needs to give a big shout out to ME for reminding chawklit about it after the site was in suspended animation a month or so ago... :lol:

Driving a stick

wojo said:
Since I am 99% convinced, I will go with the EVO, does anyone want my spot on the Sti waiting list? I am #2 in line in the Northern Virginia area.

Any takers on your #2 STi spot yet? If not...Which dealership? Which color/wheel combination? Terms of sale? MSRP?

Discussion starter · #36 ·
04-STI said:
wojo said:
Since I am 99% convinced, I will go with the EVO, does anyone want my spot on the Sti waiting list? I am #2 in line in the Northern Virginia area.

Any takers on your #2 STi spot yet? If not...Which dealership? Which color/wheel combination? Terms of sale? MSRP?
Sorry my spot is long gone and I just picked up a black EVO

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.