IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a hunch. I know most folks think they will announce later in the year. But it would be cool if they announced this week at the NY auto show. Subaru and Mitsubishi display areas are right next to each other...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Probably not. I posted a similar thread over on i-Club. They might have new Legacy/Forester models but there won't be an STi announcement. I doubt Mitsubishi will even have a US-spec EvoVII to show. To be honest, I've just resigned myself to be happy with my WRX

·
Registered
23 Posts
For what it's worth, I attended the NY Auto Show on Saturday, March 30, and spoke to two different Subaru representatives about the STi. The first man walking the floor said that around 3/4 of the people who asked him about the WRX also asked about the STi. His statement was that he expected the STi in about a year, and that it would feature 260-280 hp. No word about pricing.

The second person, a woman behind the desk, was more positive on the STi; she said that it would be here in a year, and likely would be unveiled at either the NY, Chicago, or Detroit auto shows. She said that she'd heard that the STi could range from 260 - 340 hp (!), but that she hadn't heard anything definite yet. Neither would say anything on possible pricing, but it did seem like there was a LOT of interest about the STi, and that Subaru had noticed.

In other news, Mitsubishi showed the European-spec Lancer Evo VII at its display, about 100 feet from Subaru's. Seemed like a warning shot to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My eyes almost popped out of my head when she said she'd heard rumors of 340 horsies; it sounded too good to be true (and it probably is).

I have no idea how they'd pull off 340 horsepower unless they decided to install a 2.5-liter turbo engine in the STi. I couldn't tell you how easy it would be to put in a turbocharged higher-displacement engine into the STi, but Cobb Tuning's website says it can produce 2.2-liter or 2.5-liter blocks for installation in current WRX'es, so it seems like it is technically possible (with what impact on long-term reliability, I don't know).

Although it would seem that jacking up the horsepower by increasing the displacement would cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests, there certainly are non-Subaru vehicles with 300+ horsepower and big engines that pass emissions tests; I'm not nearly familiar enough with emissions to speculate as to whether a 2.5 turbo STi could pass muster.

In my quite humble opinion, 340 horsepower is very unlikely; if Subaru wanted to deploy such a monster, I imagine it would be introduced in Japan before the U.S. I'll be satisfied with a 260-hp STi on sale a year from now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that SOA will most likely NOT introduce a 2.5l STI in the US, but they should. Gas is cheap in the US. They would steal ALL of the thunder (and a bunch of $ales) from the EVO. The EVO cannot fight the displacement battle.

I say, let the other countries envy our Subarus for a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aspera on 2002-04-01 07:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would really doubt any more displacement just because Subaru wants the vehicles to be within rally spec. 2.0L is the Maximum displacement allowed by the rules. Now as far as 340HP out of a 4 banger it could be done. I have seen 6 cylinder Supras over 1100 HP. 2 turbos and more engine refinement would take care of it. I cant see it happening to be honest though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fast4Door on 2002-04-02 13:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's not forget, too, that turbocharging an EJ25 would be compromising it's block. One of the benefits of the EJ20 is that it has a very strong block.

Bore it out to the EJ25 and it loses some strength, making turbocharging and the pressure that comes with it, a possible liability.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whoever said they want the engines to be within rally spec are right, I think. Talk to people on i-Club who have forced-induction 2.5RS engines, there's much work to be done: changing compression, stroke, all sorts of stuff.

As for 340 HP out of a 2.0L, Cobb does 320 no problem, although more than that is gonna be pushing it on our gas and all.

Repeat after me, the US STi is NOT going to have more HP than the JDM, maybe 5hp more than the UK if we're lucky - our WRX does have a bit more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK FOR STARTERS The reason why standards WRXs have 2.0 L and not the 2.2s in standard imprezas is because the highest u can go in the World Rallys is 2.0 L so why would the STI have a bigger engine???? especially if the WRX has a smaller engine in comparison to its weak sister

·
Registered
20 Posts
340HP out of a 2.0L on our gas? No problem. My Eclipse was pushing at least 350HP on pump gas and close to 400HP on 115 octane leaded race gas. 340 is not out of the question, but it is very unlikely that we will see a number anywhere near that for a stock STi.

·
Registered
135 Posts
340.... yeah, sounds right. at least here in the dense low altitude of dallas. mmmm STi in 14 months....

BTW, what are all of you putting down as your down payments?

if the STi MSRPs around 29500, and the Aus spec STi does. i plan on putting $11000 makes the payments 325/mo.

the reasons i say that it will MSRP around 29500 is b/c it follows current subaru pricing as far as upgraded models, the EVO VIII (not seven people, lets get it right) is going to hit the same 29500 mark, and its the only competition for the STi. and again, the aus spec STi retails for 29500.

on another note, i'll be that our STi will be identical to the aus spec, right down to the black subaru logo and STi logo on the drivers side in the grill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dealer I am going to has only two people interested in buying an STi, and I am on the top o' the list. When they start taking deposits I will put down a $1000 to ensure that I get one. When it comes time to buy, if it is 30k, I intend to buy it outright. Any higher and I will be forced to make payments

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GEOsyncronous on 2002-04-16 10:23 ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts