IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled into lowes the other day. there was a cop and a couple guys around a modified integra. the drivers side window was busted out and the stereo stolen. i talked to one of the guys; they said the thief broke the window, popped the hood and removed the battery to kill the alarm. was this a cheapo alarm? isn't the stock alarm as vulnerable to this trivial counter-countermeasure? this event kinda shook me up a little.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i get that. what i wanna know is if this typical of alarms? do some include a backup battery? maybe it can be added to any alarm system??

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
probably can, but i don't think it matters.

Nobody looks at alarm systems, but if they see someone takin up the hood while the alarm is going off they might get suspicious....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
STi Wide band O2 Unit

You can get battery backup units, yes. Another solution to this particular problem is a hood locking mechanism.

·
Registered
983 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
You can get battery backup units, yes. Another solution to this particular problem is a hood locking mechanism.
Where would i get these?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
DEI shows the stuff on their website, you can also look up the parts on ebay. I bought my Viper 790 from a private dealer and all the goodies from an ebay dealer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
What he said.

Actually both a backup battery and a hood lock work best.....think it through and you'll see why.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Mmmmm. . . Medeco. Doesn't get any better than that.

And a battery backup siren is ideal. . . .you can rip that sucker out (while going off) and beat the crap out of it before it'll stop making noise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
air bag

Hummer said:
Are these hood locking mechanisms functionally independent of the alarm system or is it an add on to specific systems?
Completely indepdent and totally mechanical......zero electronics.

·
Registered
983 Posts
yes, i saw that on ebay too, but i'm still not sure who to order from. there are 3 guys selling it, two of them have few thousand feedbacks but they seemed nasty to customers from what the negative feedbacks that I read. may go for the guy called jerry.

do u thinks there are instructions inside?

·
Registered
167 Posts
That DEI unit appears the same to me as the old Clifford units. I would definitely stick with maxi-guard. There's a big quality difference that's worth $50......+ the maxi-guard uses a Medeco lock....if you know anything about locks.....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Need help in picking wheels

psycho said:
That DEI unit appears the same to me as the old Clifford units. I would definitely stick with maxi-guard. There's a big quality difference that's worth $50......+ the maxi-guard uses a Medeco lock....if you know anything about locks.....
Too late for me. I bought the cheapie on eBay. It is just another small step to deter vehicle theft. The car is long gone if it is a professional thief. My car is garaged with a Brinks home alarm and a car alarm. Also, I refuse to drive this vehicle to "events" such as NFL games, concerts, bar zones, ect. That is where my wife's RSX Type-S is perfect. It is small and I don't care if someone steals it.

Psycho, thanks for all of the info. I do appreciate it. :)
Your Avatar hypnotizes me. :eek:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a naive question: how do these work? where is the lock usually placed?? i googled for "maxi-guard" to find installation pics and instructions, but came up with this then lost track of what i was searching for in the first place. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
got a naive question: how do these work? where is the lock usually placed?? i googled for "maxi-guard" to find installation pics and instructions, but came up with this then lost track of what i was searching for in the first place. :)
Alright......the long of it:

The lock (cylinder) goes inside the cabin....usually mounted under the dash on the driver's side, but I prefer mounting it inside the glove box if at all possible for additional stealth, but it usually requires punching a new hole in the firewall. The lock has a cable running out of it that goes through the firewall, routes around the perimeter of the engine bay and at the end of the cable there is a latch and a mount. That gets mounted somewhere in the front of the bay - usually close to the main hood latch. Then there is a shackle which gets mounted to the underside of the hood itself and which lines up with the mounted latch. The latch acts as a "hook" and the shackle as an "eye". When lock is turned with the key inside the cabin, the "hook" slides into a closed position which holds the "eye" in place. So, if the main hood latch is released, the hood still may not open because of this secondary locking mechanism. There is zero movement in the hood if the hood lock is locked and the main hood latch is popped - making it nearly impossible to attempt to tamper with the hood lock. The cable connecting to the moving "hook" is sleeved. So, if the cable is cut, the "hook" stays latched until you fish inside the sleeve for the cable and pull on it with something to release the hook. If memory serves, the maxi-guard unit also has the option to be used as a starter disable when the key is in the locked position and may be used in conjunction with an alarm as a secondary starter disable.

The reason you want to use one of these is as follows:
Any alarm system is limited to electronics. A theif wants your car. He sees you have an alarm. He opens the door (by whatever means, slimjim, broken window, etc.) and once he does the alarm goes off. He now pops the hood and with little effort, breaks the wires off of the siren for the alarm. Now, the alarm system is still in alert mode, but the alarm is no longer making noise. It was making noise for only about 10-15 seconds. Most people will dismiss this as a false alarm.....happens all the time. Now, the theif has time to either steal what he wants from inside your car and leave, or to somehow disable/remove/defeat/wire around your alarm system's starter/fuel pump defeat. If you know how to install an alarm, you know how to uninstall an alarm. Its that simple. You're watching a nice movie, eating popcorn, someone is uninstalling your alarm, punching out your ignition lock and driving your car away. A hood lock will prevent this from happening. The theif opens the door, the alarm goes off, they try to pop the hood........oops.....WTF?.......the alarm is still going off.......pull a few more times on the hood.......hmmm....can't open the hood.....drawing too much attention....they leave.

A more professional approach to stealing cars is to simply flatbed the car. A good alarm system will trigger if the car is jacked up or jolted. (position or shock sensor) Theives know this. So, using a special, long cutting tool a theif goes under your car, and cuts the negative battery cable - your car is now completely dead......no power to anything. Then the vehicle is simply and quickly taken away by a flatbed or towtruck, drawing very little attention. This is where a backup battery for your alarm comes in. The cable is cut.....everything is dead - EXCEPT your alarm. When the car is jolted or jacked up - the alarm goes off. Now, they're all holding their dicks.....and unless they want to NOW take the time to dive into the car and rip all the wires out of the brain of the alarm (which you guys taped and tie wrapped really well, right guys?) - they leave quickly.

Granted, the car can still be towed or flatbedded with the alarm going off.....and even with all this, someone who is really good could disable your alarm in less than a minute from inside the car.....especially if the alarm install is very conventional. NOTHING will absolutely keep your car from being stolen. However, a good alarm (installed very tightly and creatively) along with a backup battery and a hood lock WILL make it very difficult for someone - even a pro - to take your car. I particularly like the new alarms that alert you if your alarm is triggered - like the Viper Responder. This would work well in the event that your alarm is triggered and if you are within range of your car and you are armed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hummer said:
Too late for me. I bought the cheapie on eBay. It is just another small step to deter vehicle theft. The car is long gone if it is a professional thief. My car is garaged with a Brinks home alarm and a car alarm. Also, I refuse to drive this vehicle to "events" such as NFL games, concerts, bar zones, ect. That is where my wife's RSX Type-S is perfect. It is small and I don't care if someone steals it.

Psycho, thanks for all of the info. I do appreciate it. :)
Your Avatar hypnotizes me. :eek:
If you don't take your car to "events" as you described and you keep it garaged - you are in a very low-risk category for theft. If you are concerned about your stereo and its in the trunk, PM me for a couple ways to add some protection there. You are welcome for the info.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
psycho. *thanks* for the thorough explanation. when i asked "how does it work", i meant the mechanics of the hood lock (where's the latch, where's the lock, yada yada). but frankly, i really appreciated your full description. i've never had a car worth worrying about, so i'm way behind on thief tactics and countermeasures. i'm much more enlightened.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts