IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That used to be my signature before the STi was here, but now that it is it's feels even worse.
So I lurk daily and await the rapidly approaching day when I drive home with my own STi.
Preparing for that day, my mind has spent far too much time contemplating a few important decisions.

First I used to think that Blue w/Gold was the only color for an STi. I have since take a strong liking to White w/Gold. While there are some threads on this site discussing the rarity of white, I am still up in the air about my own choice. There are no white ones in Cincy to check out, no WRX's, or even RS's. I like blue but I also fear that keeping it clean will be harder than white. I know its my own choice (my wife even says so) but I need help.

Second and somewhat less important, but related is the whole trunk swap thing. I am interested in exploring trunk/spoiler alternatives. My preference is to buy an extra trunklid in matching color from the dealer or whomever. Maybe with the WRX spoiler maybe plain. Any ideas on cost? I personally like the plain. If I go with white I think no spoiler is my first choice. If I go with blue a WRX spoiler might be the way to go.

So I am looking for advice and help in making my decision.

PS I have spent hours comparing photos of each. I even have some to review on my Pocket PC for when I am bored. Yes I am crazy.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
regarding color: white/gold is the way to go. period. :)

regarding the wing: this has come up very often. check the exterior forum and the private classified forum for trunk swap options and cost. you might also want to check a regional forum on www.nasioc.com. i'm sure there are owners of late model wrxs who'd like to have your wing. trunk swaps are common enough. there's also the option *not* to swap. just take the wing off and plug the holes. this has been done also.

anyway, it looks like either the long wait has either been to your benefit or is slowly causing you to go insane. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The long wait has done both. I am worse than I was before, but I can see the benefit of waiting. Plus my wife loves the Odyssey that was the real reason for delay.

I do not want to loose the original wing. I love the look and want to be able to go back to it. New trunk and its cost is what I want.

I new YOU would say white. But really why didn't you choose blue? That might give me some insight.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
to each their own, but i woulld say black 8) however bt your two color choices, stick it out and wait for a white one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a black GTI, it always looked bad. I would clean it, it would swirl, it would get dirty the next day. Not for me.

I used to have a old '87 white CRX. No matter how bad it looked, it ws abused, when I washed it, the white still looked white.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I love the silver. It is very low maintenance. I don't see swirls and it usually looks clean without a wash.

I think the white looks better when it is clean, but the silver looks best when dirty. :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep em coming. I like silver too. But I am not going to get a silver STi. That was a period. Period. There it is again. So there seems to be a lot of support for non-blue color combos. Anyone got an opinion as to why they didn't get blue. Or did?

M

·
0 Posts
I love my silver/silver, love it, I originally ordered white/gold, but when i saw a white sitting next ot a silver, I decided on silver.

For some reason, I drive around car lots all the time (hmmm because I am a car lvoer...), anyways, I was admiring the blue/gold STi last night, and the more I see it, the more I really appreciate it.

In the end, the color of the car is totally irrelevant to the amount of fun you will have. I like all 4 colors, and would have been happy with any of them.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I would wait on the new trunk. I originally planned to go wingless but eventually decided to keep the wing, and I'm glad I did. I know you would be keeping your wing either way, but give it a bit before you buy an additional trunk.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice on the trunk. I think the cost will be the determining factor as my wife is the one pushing for it. If it is too much she won't want it. If its a couple hundred bucks she will probably say get it anyway.

Radar you've got blue, whats your feeling on color?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a silver because almost every sti i have seen is Blue. SILVER is the current thrend in all cars IMHO. Goodluck any color is great because its what's inside that counts. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I will be happy with either, but I want to make a good choice as I plan to keep the car for a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Camera mounting?

The silver STi is not the same silver you see on many other cars. I have noticed that mine is much lighter than most silver on the road. When the sun shines bright it almost looks white sitting next to other silver.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
STiWant1 said:
I new YOU would say white. But really why didn't you choose blue? That might give me some insight.
:) for me the choice was btwn white or blue. i waffled, but chose white and couldn't be happier. my criteria:
  1. first, i like white.
  2. my '91 se-r was white and still looked fantastic after 11yrs. so i felt a white sti would look good long into the future
  3. i was worried about cleaning a blue car and keeping it looking good; e.g. swirl marks; paint fading was an unknown
  4. i knew *everyone* would be driving blue. i like rarity so white was it.
  5. i saw two pics (1 and 2) of a jdm white/gold that gave me 36hr stiffy. i dunno why, but i saw it and said "*that's* what i want." can't explain it.
this list is likely useless, but there ya go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes, the waiting does suck, I agree.

I originally intended to buy a 2002 WRX when I first was in the market for a new car. I hated the car I had, and wanted something that would be fun and zippy and would go through snow easily... and the WRX was perfect. Then I started reading Subaru boards to reserach the car, and found out about the STi, and the rumor that it was coming to the US. Subaru hadn't even announced it yet. So I decided to wait.

Then Subaru announced it was coming... but there were no specs. So I waited more, not knowing what I would end up with, and accepting it could be a total let down. Then when they announced the specs, I was floored... I couldn't wait!!

Then my number came up on the waiting list in like July... I decided to turn it down at the time and buy my Formula, and just continue waiting... I just finally got my STi about 3 weeks ago.

The waiting was worth it. I could have waited another year and this car still would have been worth it. I don't think I've been this happy with a new car EVER, and the STi is probably my 45th car!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
STiWant1, to answer you question, I love my blue, especially when clean and shiny. People can't help but comment on it. As someone else here said about the blue, even if they hate the car for its styling, they'll love it for the color! :D The longer I have the gold wheels, the less I like them. I hate cleaning them also, I need a different style in anthracite or similar color. I think that would look sharp on the blue and a regular 5 or 6 spoke would be easier to clean.

xmen pointed out that the current trend in cars is silver. Yes, and it looks great on almost any car. Still, that's exactly the reason I didn't get it - my wife has a silver and I am not one to worship trends anyway. Of the colors available on her car, I like silver the best, but no way was I driving a silver car into the garage and park it right beside the other. If we didn't already have a silver, it would have been tempting, I think the silver Sti looks great and probably doesn't catch the eyes of the cops like the blue does.

It's all about what looks good to you and factoring in how much you want your car to catch the eyes of others for good and bad.

I do love my blue and I will love it even more with some nice aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Go take a look at the black in person, especially in the sunlight. This convinced me to get black instead of blue. I didn't want silver (previously had a silver 3000GT and silver Z3 and wanted something different). Don't really like the way white cars look.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Works good if you don't have your car waxed with Zaino.

DrEvyl said:
I don't think I've been this happy with a new car EVER, and the STi is probably my 45th car!
Holy Moly! You must be in car sales OR 80 years old {or filthy rich!}. :)
Paint me green.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Neither, actually... I just typically own 2-3 cars at a time, change them around often, and the longest I've ever owned one car was a little under 3 years. I also used to restore VW Beetles, so I had several of them.

This is just the last 15 years worth of cars:
Cars I sold
'75 Toyota Pickup
'72 Firebird Esprit 350
'72 Ford Pinto Wagon
'87 Madza B2200 Pickup
'82 Dodge Aries Wagon
'90 Honda CRX HF (two of them)
'81 Volkswagen Rabbit
'88 Hyundai Excel
'61 Volkswagen Beetle
'84 Honda Prelude