IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends got the rare opportunity to drive a 911 Turbo. I think it was in the past month or so. His uncle who's the lucky owner actually allowed him to drive the car! It's probably because my friend has done some mods on his uncle's cars as well as having his own ride featured a number of times in magazines. Anyway, as he takes it for a spin, a blue STi pulls up to him at a stoplight...and revs it! :roll:

My friend decides not to race him, saving the STi driver from certain embarrassment. Please pick your races carefully! Then again, if I were in an STi and got beat by a 911 Turbo, I would be honored just to be in a race with it :)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
It doesn't matter what you drive, if you can't drive it. I am not one to pull up and rev on someone but I would definitely try to be the first off the line, 911, Enzo, or anything, even if I know I don't have a chance and it's just to see them get on it. Now if I was at a light in my 911 and someone pulled along side me in a capable car and revved, I would have to educate them. This sounds like someone I know that just got a 92 testarossa and thinks he is god's gift. He never lived down the day I smoked him in his old vette in my Supra. So he gets this old testarossa and is talking sh1t to friends of mine on how there is no way my Supra can take him. Well they are all telling him I will still take him, so now he says he has nothing to prove cause he drives a Ferrari. :roll:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I'd rev against a 911 Turbo, ENZO or any car out of my class is just to see how fast it could go, accepting the fact that I'd be seeing tail-lights all the way :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd rev it and put into reverse..
:)

SnowbordrWRX said:
The only reason I'd rev against a 911 Turbo, ENZO or any car out of my class is just to see how fast it could go, accepting the fact that I'd be seeing tail-lights all the way :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: new guy

for the price to performance ratio, a STi absolutley sh1ts all over a 911.

but car to car, of course a 911 is faster, but how much more do you have to pay?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was on a track with A brand new porsche turbo ( no plates yet).It had three different drivers 2 beginners and one intermediate.I was able to catch and pass the first two but the other one caught and passed me, So I guess it would depend on who is driving the porsche and how big there balls are.Buy the way it was my first time on a track ever.

·
Registered
307 Posts
me and a buddy were both inline for the 04 sti , i recieved mine, he opted out in favor of the 911 x package with 4 wheel drive , the car is awesome, but the cost plus the insurance he's paying and for the amount he drives it, makes the whole package out of reach for alot of us, :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
comparison

me and a buddy were both inline for the 04 sti , i recieved mine, he opted out in favor of the 911 x package with 4 wheel drive , the car is awesome, but the cost plus the insurance he's paying and for the amount he drives it, makes the whole package out of reach for alot of us, :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did a track day where I drove my STi, then for one session I got in with my instructor in his 911 turbo. While I agree that price performance is all in favor of the STi, the 911 turbo is certainly faster. In either case, the driver will make a huge difference as soon as corners are thrown in.

The STi was incredible, passing cars easily on the straight and catching up easily to just about everything in the corners. The 911 turbo was to my car what mine was to the others -- catches up quickly and passes are trivial. If I hadn't been used to the 300hp of the STi I would have been absolutely floored, I'm sure. My car did 130mph at the end of the straight, and maybe it could have done 135 if I worked on the entrance corner some more. The 911 turbo was at 130 about half way down the straight, and from what I could see we hit 145 at the end of the straight -- we could have done more but managing traffic plays a part.

One difference is that the 911 is much more rear biased, both in weight and power. Certainly riding in it made me feel much more like we were in a RWD car. Anyway, the performance is stunning for the 911 turbo -- more than I feel I could handle at the track right now. The price is quiet high to match though. Doing $10-15k of mods on an STi might not get to the same speed (and never to the same overall package), but it would be pretty close. Besides, the STi has more headroom and four doors.

·
Registered
526 Posts
amdmaxx said:
I'd rev it and put into reverse..
:)
I think I saw that in a movie once... it was the one that had something to do about time travel... there was some car... I think it was a delorian... the guy from taxi was in it... also the guy from family ties was too...

I'm sure it will come to me soon. :wink:

For the price I paid for the STi and the price someone else pays for a 911 turbo, I don't feel so bad getting beat by one. It's the guy in the Porsche Boxster that I feel bad for.
:p

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4MLA1FN said:
kg said:
CloneGTS, 0-60 the STi is probably even with an F1.
a modern f1 car with launch control? 900 hp in a 1300lb car? i seriously doubt that.
Maybe kg meant that both cars have the ABILITY to go from 0-60. Hell, mine can go from 0-60 also...just in a longer time. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Somewhat off topic:

I have a '97 C4S, but am considering selling and getting an STi. I have owned a Subie before, and I admire their ability to make great cars at reasonable prices, styling issues aside (!).

I love my 911. It is the car I alsways lusted after, and I finally own one, But you know what? It's only a car, if I drove it like I wanted to it would be worth squat, and I am not rich, so I dont really want to trash it on the track. And, finally, what you do on the track is 95% driver, 5%car. I drive a friends Superformance Cobra (485HP/similar torque, 2400 lbs dripping wet) at VIR, and I've seen professionals and driving instructors drive theirs, as well. And Bob Ohlthoff, a former world champ (and driver on original team/Cobras in 60s) drove his little S1 around with an unmodified miata engine in it. Smoked everybody. Smooth, fast in the turns, ran out of spped on the straight, but it didn't matter. Noone could keep up.

I developed a new respect for driving skill.

In short, if you want to go fast, go to a good driving school, get an SCCA license, and do it on a track.

If you want a Porsche (and I'm a fan of the older, air-cooled ones, like mine), get one. There's nothing like it. But drive it hard or sell it to someone who will..... And so I am likely selling mine. If any of you can talk me out of selling it, I would appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts