IW STi Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
There you go buddy....you will love it. One thing to know....the nozzle that comes with the SMC Meth Kit will be too small...I am running a M10 nozzle....I believe the kit comes with a M7 nozzle that is for WRX's mainly. M15 would prob be the best bet for if you go turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
La Mer said:
kakimoto is a funny word.

I agree. especially since i dont even know if i am saying it correctly. "Cack-ehh-moto"

lol.

thanks for the heads up chris...i will look into that more.

-Ryan

·
Registered
994 Posts
I want to meet up. I want to hear the Kakimoto. I've been thinking about getting it. maybe you can convince me on the headers too

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #225 (Edited)
Re: Clarque's Sti...kakimoto sound clips added

blah blah no update for a long time.

blah blah...got tuned....blah blah GT3071...blah blah 91 octane...blah blah stock sti tmic....blah blah 360 HP and 355 TQ @ 18PSI....blah blah really loud with kakimoto exhaust....blah blah sound clips from dyno coming tomorrow if I get time....blah blah...will also post dyno plot...blah blah I love the guys at HB Speed....blah blah...more to follow.

-RYAN...a very very very happy ryan I might add :D

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts

^Funny thing is, I could see you talking like that ahahhahaha congrats!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)

reviving my member journal...I've been out of the scene for a while. I have been re-indoctrinating myself for the past few weeks on Nasioc and iwsti. Apparently the search button sucks even more now...its is so damn difficult to find a straight answer anymore.

Clif notes:

Out of the army, work for Disney now, going to school at Pepperdine, Subaru been dead in driveway for over a year...most likely rod bearing failure. Building new engine...will be a daily driver, looking at 370whp conservative tune...I know it could easily do more though.

In the works:

Just bought:

Built Shortblock:
-100mm Manley 8.5 compression pistons
-Eagle Rods
-2010 Nitrided OEM Crank
-ACL HX rod bearings Standard size
-ACL HX Main Bearings Standard size
-Used EJ257 Core

Bored/Honed/Balancing completed by Outfront Motorsports...Rotating Assembly by the seller (who has much experience)

Also Bought:
-GrimmSpeed 160 thermostat

Need to buy:
-Killerbmotorsports ultimate oil pickup
-Big MAF intake...looking as KSTECH...but how big should I go?
-OEM Gasket kits
-new head gasket..recommendations? I was thinking cosworth or OEM...not cometic.
-OEM BPV or some other BPV...my tial BOV is going bye bye.

Engine Mods I have already:

-Stock STI TMIC
-ATP GT3071 stock location
-APS turbo inlet
-Deutchwerks 750cc injectors...I think they are 750cc anyway
-helix catless downpipe JDM Length
-kakimoto racing JDM length GT 1.0Z catback
-Helix unequal length exhaust manifold
-DC Sports uppipe
-crap HKS super mega blah blah intake (which we maxed out when I was originally tuned
-DIY TGV deletes...removed the flappers
-phenolic spacers
-Tial BOV
-Exedy stage 1 clutch/flywheel combo
-Fluidyne aluminum radiator
-cusco motor mounts
-billet pitch stop mount

car did 355whp at HB speed when it was tuned.

I don't know the extent of the damage to my dead motor...just that it seized up. I have not removed it from the car yet...really praying there isn't any damage to the heads. I will have the heads inspected though. I will be doing the removal, dis-assembly, re-assembly, and install myself. Funds are low, so this will be over the next month or so. I'm trying to do as many "piece of mind" and extended reliability mods as I can.

to throw another curve ball....The car is due for Smog in Cali. I have it registered as non-operable right now. I figure I will source the stock parts, put them on, get it tested during the break in period, and then put the good stuff back on.

Stock parts I don't have: stock downpipe, stock up-pipe, stock exhaust manifold, stock catback, stock intake, stock BPV, stock turbo. LOL...pretty much none of the stock stuff. I think I should be able to pass smog with the GT3071 and injectors still on...as long as I have it tuned for the break-in period/conservative as hell. I think they will pass the visual inspection at the local smog guy I have dealt with in the past. I hope I can just find some nice local OC guys to let me borrow their old stock parts (hopefully collecting dust in their garage) for a few weeks.

so thats the performance aspect. I still have the M-Sports widebody front bumper (the one from the flat red sti) sitting in my garage waiting for me to put together pieces for the rest. thinking about selling it though, but the rarity of it just kills me to let it go. I'm like that guy who mounted an entire Ferrari on his wall...I just like to have it I guess.

anyway...thoughts? opinions on the build? recommendations? I am looking for advice and suggestions. There may have been some products that have come out in the past year and a half that I don't know about.

Its good to be back.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
thanks man...yeah I was thinking about a bigger tmic...I dont feel like going with the Front mount just yet though. The spool up on the gt3071 with the sti tmic was very close to stock. 73mm is what I figured, but are there any advantages to going with anything bigger? I couldnt find a straight answer on that question.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not at the horsepower levels your saying your going for, 73mm will get you up to 450 or so WHP if memory serves, so you have a good bit of head room. I'm at 372awhp on stock block, but popping a CEL for maxing out my MAF, the 73mm intake solved it no prob.

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
Hey whats up brother? I would look at head work, you will pick up some nice gains with that!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Hey whats up brother? I would look at head work, you will pick up some nice gains with that!

Yeah...part of me is hoping that the heads are okay...and part of me is hoping that something is wrong with them...so I have an excuse to improve the crap out of them.

I started toying with the idea of painting the shortblock today...found a few great websites that have great high temp engine painting kits available. I have no problem doing the prep work and all of that...and I'm not worried about any slight increase in heat retention. I just can't decide on a color. They don't have a whole lot of options...and most of them are for American muscle cars, but they could still look good.

The car is still Java Black Pearl...I was thinking maybe White, Off White, maybe a darker green, or even a match to the orangish speckled brembo caliper business. I found a company that can match paint codes...so the options are quite extensive.

I would go with the gold, but I don't want to be asked a hundred times a day if I got a shortblock from AMR. Powdercoating is out of the question as the shortblock is already assembled and I don't want to risk damaging any of the parts...plus I am a huge cheapo and don't want to spend the money. And...it will be a cool project while I wait for money to finish growing on my tree so I can finish the build.

here's the websites I was looking at.

Engine Paint - Engine Enamel - Motor Coater - KBS Coatings -motor coater ...impressive oil resistance properties

Engine Paint - Automotive Engine Paints - Engine Painting Colors - Eastwood -seem run of the mill.

G2 Engine Paint System Set -oil resistance properties...can match paint codes.

All the prices are about the same, but KBS coatings has more clear coat options....which I dont think I will be doing anyway.

so if I paint the shortblock, I must paint the heads...and if I paint the heads, then I must paint the pulley covers...and if I paint the pulley covers, should I paint the TGV's...and repaint the intake manifold (which has a few chips on it right now.)

I could go nuts with painting these parts and be completely happy with myself.

...alright I'm done rambling.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
8 years dead. Sat in the desert for 5 years, now moved to Texas. The revival finally begins.

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
Ohhhhhh snap!

221 - 236 of 236 Posts