IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This means a lot of things to different people. But my goal is to keep the car dependable as a daily driver with longevity, while still being able to spank a C6 and give a C6-Z06 a run for its money. Let's keep the $$$$$ in mind. Best bang for the buck. What is the total cost? $5k, $10k? Looking for informed and knowledgable opinions here.

Engine:
350-400 whp?
What mods would you make?
Turbo?
Injectors?
Need to go into the bottom end with forged components?
Clutch?

Suspension:
Wheel size?
Tire size?
Shocks/Springs?
Brakes?

Others:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honestly, if you are going to do all that, I'd just go buy a used C6 Z51 and mod that.

You are looking at well over $10K - even if you do your own labor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, if you are going to do all that, I'd just go buy a used C6 Z51 and mod that.

You are looking at well over $10K - even if you do your own labor.
My dick is too big to own a vette and I'm not an old geezer. :rofl:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Z06 has about 440 rwhp so dom4 or dom3 with some meth would maybe let you keep up with him for the first couple hundred feet or so but thats about it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Soooo, the old, "I want to run high tens, and still be reliable" thread. Seems we get one of these every week or so around here.

And I was going to start answering your questions instead of being a smart ass but you just asked way too many for one thread. Your thread belongs in at least three different sections. :lol: Look at members journals for people with 35r turbo builds for ideas. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the C6 and Z06 as an example or how high to set the bar. Not building a car to go out and hunt a Z06.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Z06 has about 440 rwhp so dom4 or dom3 with some meth would maybe let you keep up with him for the first couple hundred feet or so but thats about it.
I agree, pistons, turbo and meth (obvisouly supporting mods).

Check out AMR. Rob's daily (08 STi) runs 10.9 @ 128 on street tires and 93 octane WITHOUT meth. That's MUCH faster than a stock C6-Z06.

You could go less agressive than him build-wise and use meth. That, with a quality tune I dont see why you can reliably run low 11s (faster than a Z06). I would definitely say you're looking between 5 and 10k though.

However 10k + your STi cost is still less than a Z06 and you have AWD. :tup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, pistons, turbo and meth (obvisouly supporting mods).

Check out AMR. Rob's daily (08 STi) runs 10.9 @ 128 on street tires and 93 octane WITHOUT meth. That's MUCH faster than a stock C6-Z06.

You could go less agressive than him build-wise and use meth. That, with a quality tune I dont see why you can reliably run low 11s (faster than a Z06). I would definitely say you're looking around 10k though.

However 10k + your STi cost is still less than a Z06 and you have AWD. :tup:
Thanks, I'm glad someone gets my drift. :lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
No prob my man. Rob is out racing until the 16th but definitely hit up AMR (http://www.automasteramr.com/). They're a little far from you I just noticed but he does quality work and makes quality parts.

Give him a goal and a price range and I know he'll hook you up. He email pro-tuned my car and it rips.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Stock Z51 Corvette will manhandle a stock STI on a road course- don't think they are just straight-line cars.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I dont understand goals of: how do I make my car faster than a ________? What happens when you run into a _______ that is modded? Then everything you just put into your car is out the window.

IMHO, build a car to be fun, not to beat ________. My theory is to make the most out of a small to mid size turbo set up for minimal lag and be usable on the street. Big turbos are for the track. my $0.02.

But to help answer your question. I would stay away from a Dom4. It is a laggy SOB for the street. I would go Dom3 at the biggest or rotated. You are going to have to have forged pistons, rods, studs, FMIC and all the supporting like a clutch, injectors, fuel pump, TGV deletes, inlet, etc etc etc. Meth is a must to get the most out of your set up.

Are you building the block yourself? Bolt ons are fairly easy, but I wouldnt touch the block if it was my situation.

I cant help with the GR suspension. I dont know anything about it.

Bottom line, when you start to modify things, parts break and wear out faster. There is no avoiding it. If you are going to build a monster car, you are going to have to maintain it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah, I am the same way. My old boss is a little guy. He drives a vette...

Im guessing on prices but roughly:

Axis short block:2200
clutch:500
35r turbo kit:3500
FMIC:2000
Meth:900
Total: about 9000 or more.

You'll need tuning obviously. It should rip up anything on the road with this setup.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Yeah, I am the same way. My old boss is a little guy. He drives a vette...

Im guessing on prices but roughly:

Axis short block:2200
clutch:500
35r turbo kit:3500
FMIC:2000
Meth:900
Total: about 9000 or more.

You'll need tuning obviously. It should rip up anything on the road with this setup.
I know you even said you were guessing but:

fmic 1200 perrin
meth, i got mine used for 330 (smc)
injectors, i got brand new ones off of someone for 300 (pe 850s)
kstech tgv delete, good diy, 62

search the classifieds. people are constantly changing or upgrading their setups so the stuff they're selling could still in fact be in great shape and you save tons of money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts