IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I hear of a large number of folks getting dyno tunes where a modified car is "tuned", and then expected to run at idle, part throttle, and at full throttle, on the street.

Here are some things that you likely wont get tuned on a dyno:

1. cold engine start and running
2. various barometric pressure and weather
3. part throttle (low flow) intake calibration
4. tip-in and tip-out fueling
5. idle
6. the long term effect of fuel correction on open loop fueling

In fact, I would assert that it would be more practical to tune everything above on the street *before* you go to a dyno tune

The above items are very important to how the car runs and feel to the owner, especially of a daily driver. If you have a combination much different from a stock-intake stage 2 car, the above items take *hours* to tune from scratch... *days* if you dont have a wideband close to the turbo.

In the future, I hope that folks can look upon the tuning portion of the modification of these cars with a little more understanding of the size of the job at hand.

*Do NOT expect a dyno tune on a modded car to make the car very drivable, nor protect the engine in the long term. ONLY street tuning is the practicle way to set up a combination for the long term *followed* by dyno tuning*

If anyone wants to see logs of -5% long term correction taking almost a full point of AFR out at open loop WOT (12:1 instead of 11:1, yes...detonation) after a month of street driving on a *very* drivable tune, let me know, and I'll post it.

If I was running something considerable bigger than a FPgreen or more than 21-22 psi, I probably wouldnt have a factory shortblock anymore.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I agree with you, but I think the dyno tune should come first, and then the road tune. The dyno allows the tuner to make any necessary adjustments under the hood, and take care of any shortcomings that may arise from a half ass install. Plus there is usually more timing that can be added on the road tune under real world conditions.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough... and good points... but assuming a competent install, wouldnt it be better to work out the shortcomings when you arent paying $100+ an hour for the dyno? ;)
I've spent some good time with tuners on the dyno, and I'd estimate that approximately 1/2 then time highly modded cars spend on the dyno is with someone under the hood... and that's expensive.

But these are the minute details compared with folks just realizing the necessity of road tuning (and a non-turbulent MAF housing of the right size...but thats a totally different topic).

Chris

ninjaboy76 said:
I agree with you, but I think the dyno tune should come first, and then the road tune. The dyno allows the tuner to make any necessary adjustments under the hood, and take care of any shortcomings that may arise from a half ass install. Plus there is usually more timing that can be added on the road tune under real world conditions.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are a tuner and you disagree, please either post or let me know. I realize I've irritated a few folks with this post, but I'd like to have the conversation around it rather than just take sides.

·
resigned
5,835 Posts
IMHO any tuner who is irritated by this post should either man up and show good reason to be irritated or rethink their position as a service provider. The info you provided makes sense to me. If its not true, someone should step up and educate the community...

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
very interesting thread, I have heard at xxtuning they take you out on the road, and tune while you are driving how you normally would...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.