IW STi Forum banner

261 - 280 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
It rides much better since replacing the struts, but I'm not sure if the noise is gone yet. All I've really gotten to do with it since then is drive it on ice. (WOOT!)
After the ice melts I'm going to see if the noise is still there.

The shop gave me a TUB (like 16 oz. or so) of the grease for the poly bushings, so Sunday I may be regreasing everything.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Took off the front sway bar bushings, cleaned them with Purple Power, rinsed them, dried them thoroughly, cleaned up the sway bar, cleaned up the brackets, greased up the bushings, snapped off the bolt that the bracket on the left attaches to, went to the hardware store, bought a new bolt, drilled out where the old bolt was, installed the new bolt, tightened everything up...

The noise is still there.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
DocBlackAdder- I'm sorry to hear that the noise isn't fixed; I'd be going nuts if I were you! And of course the bolt snapped off when you were hoping to just get under there real quick and lube up the bushings. It seems stuff like that happens to me every time I get under my car to do something.

Good luck and be sure to post up the issue/solution once you discover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a couple of WRX's but this is my first STi. Always used full synthetic but recently started using Amsoil in my wife's camry. Anyone using it in their STi's?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use Amsoil in everything I own. I use the 5w30 signature series in my Sti. I have the 75w90 on my tranny and rear diff too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just replaced my front bushings as my drivers lower rear bushing was bad. It made similar noises to what you are describing. At first i noticed noises only when stopping hard and maybe when going over speed bumps, eventually i was hearing the noises all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought a new silver STI. Thanks for the heads up on all the newbie things. This car is the most fun I have ever had! I live in Cali so I have to keep her fairly mod free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have spoke with my local Subaru Dealership and they had stated that the factory wiring harness for the factory sub woofer is per installed. Each dealer tell me you can find this information on the Subaru.com site. I have yet to find where to find the factory harness. Any ideas of the factory wiring harness for the factory sub woofer in a 2013 WRX Five Door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you!! Great write up, very informative. hopefully getting my 2013 Hatchback in white in the next 30-60 days.. First turbo car so im doing quite a bit of research. Had a Rx8 before and it was a really fun car to drive, hopefully i will not be disappointed by the subbie.. ohh yeah, how do I subscribe?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 1yr, and approximately 6,500 miles my friend finds a small oil leak on '11 STi rear diff...long story short, bolts came loose...
I had the same issue on my 2013 after only 2000 miles. Noticed it when putting on a Turbo XS catback and saw the fluid on the bottom of the rear diff. Tightened up the bolts to spec and all fixed now!:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for explaining this. This is my first STi and this issue is annoying as hell. Im just getting used to the damn clutch. The first day I got it, I almost pulled my hair out trying to accelerate in 1st.:banghead:
It really is an odd sensation. I really thought that the diff/ tranny was screwed up when turning into my driveway the first time that it happened to me. I immediately pushed the clutch in the keep the car from stalling and then checked the owners manual for what may be "normal" behavior. It does serve a fantastic purpose though: I am at Stage II currently (Cosworth CAI, Invidia Catless, Turbo XS Catback) and with LSD set high and traction control off, the car pulls like an absolute rocket- just have to remember to toggle it off around slow speed corners!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, newbie here, not my first STi, but first issue I've had with one and really not sure if it's an issue or a common occurrence.. In 4th gear when I'm on the throttle hard and shifting up to 5th, I get a backfire sound, like an exhaust popping.. which I THINK is actually something to do with the engine valves? Is this common or should I be worried? Mind you, I have Cobb cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust and stage 2 Cobb accessport

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick question, I have a 2014 sti with 1100 miles sometimes when Ideling the rpms jump down to about 400 300 range the car sounds like it's about to turn off and then the rpms jump back up to 1000 and then back to normal why is it happening

·
Registered
18 Posts
"I/C Water Spray" Button - This does exactly what it says: it sprays your intercooler with water. This is useful because the STi's intercooler is placed above the engine, which causes heat soak, reducing its efficiency. Heat soak is when the heat radiating from the engine bay soaks into the intercooler, warming it up and, consequently, the air passing through it. This reduces its cooling efficiency. The water spray will mitigate heat soak while it is spraying, and for a short while afterward. The tank to refill it is on the right side of your trunk. Use distilled water so as not to clog the lines up. Don't worry about accidentally running it dry; there is a friendly orange warning light that says "I/C Spray" directly beneath the tachometer that will light up when you are running low.

Does anyone have a problem with it not spraying automatically. Mine worked when i first got the car but doesn't work automatically anymore

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with it not spraying automatically. Mine worked when i first got the car but doesn't work automatically anymore
The stock system does not activate the IC sprayer automatically. You have to press the button, and then it will spray for 30 seconds. I installed a pressure switch that activates the sprayer when a certain boost pressure is achieved, and I highly recommend doing that. It used to be years before I had to refill the water tank, and now I refill it about every two months. I LOVE it!!!!

Here is the 'How-To" thread if you'd like to do it:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/39827-automatic-intercooler-sprayer-boost-referenced.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Someone might have done that already then. I did spray automatically when I first got it. Just doesn't work anymore. I think it stopped when I installed my boost gauge. I'll have to look into it

261 - 280 of 314 Posts