IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
33 Posts
Never buy first year anyway, let them work out the kinks for at least a year, especially when it will be the first year with a "new" (first time in this car) motor. I am waiting for them to release the details, because we're expecting 350-400hp in the new one and that would be worth waiting for, even if it is a little ugly. Ugly can be fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As much as DIT is awesome, with the EPA requirements and Subaru's engineering solutions for slapping on emissions devices due to the 'GLOBAL PLATFORM' aka dont change, just keep adding stuff for each market to hit requirements. The added EGR TGV PCV on the FA20DIT, those intake valves hated it in stock form.
I was really hoping they would put a 2.4L D4S engine (Port + Direct) in the WRX, since the NA variants in the BRZ are both D4S
Hopefully the STi gets a more robust fueling system!

But yeah let the first wave of owners blow up the fa24dit (hard to do now since its only offered in CVT cars; so the trans explodes way before the engine)
So we can see where it lands in comparison to the fa20dit

Maybe the new architecture and HPFP can handle ethanol in stock form a little better than the outgoing DIT engine?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is Subaru's 996.1 "fried egg" moment. Porsche did a 996.2 that was 'ok" but it was not fixed until the 997.... but I sort of like the STI above in white with the painted flares, etc. It looks a lot like the VA from 40 feet....not terrible..if 400hp, pasm, better tech, same sti 6speed and awd system....not bad. Let's hope.

Actually, some fun colors....I could get into that STI.... I remain cautiously optimistic as Subaru does understand the "joy" of driving more than many other companies seem to these days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 63675
View attachment 63677
View attachment 63678
Figured I'd open up the discussion over what was revealed this morning.
This is the foundation for 2023 when the new Sti arrives.
Instead of being an Impreza unibody chassis with obvious modification, this is an entirely independent model.
I believe it only shares the firewall.
Car has the 2.4L from the Ascent, with 270hp.
6 speed manual or optional "sport" transmission (a reworked CVT).
There was also mention of the si-drive arriving to the WRX.
Obviously they have moved to a giant display in the center console, taillights like the new BRZ, and a very crosstreck vibe with the cladding.
I know what I think about it, but I wanted to hear other people's comments first.
What are your thoughts?
As much as i love subaru this is just terrible, personally haven't been a big fan of the aesthetic after the GD chassis but this is just completely fugly.

·
Registered
2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
33 Posts
This is Subaru's 996.1 "fried egg" moment. Porsche did a 996.2 that was 'ok" but it was not fixed until the 997.... but I sort of like the STI above in white with the painted flares, etc. It looks a lot like the VA from 40 feet....not terrible..if 400hp, pasm, better tech, same sti 6speed and awd system....not bad. Let's hope.

Actually, some fun colors....I could get into that STI.... I remain cautiously optimistic as Subaru does understand the "joy" of driving more than many other companies seem to these days.
Mazda does too, to be honest. Not really any exciting cars and they're geared more for comfort, but even the basic ones handle really well. I actually really like the new Turbo AWD hatch from them, but it isn't in the same class as an STI.

The 2008 WRX was also horribly fugly as well. I still think that "narrow body" one is still one of the ugliest ones, both sedan and hatch IMO. The STI came out and looked great though, so I am hoping that will see something similar with this gen.

·
Registered
472 Posts
2022 WRX vs Viziv Concept (2017):
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

STI Viziv Concept vs 2023 STI Render:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I think I'm gunna like it in sti guise!
Some proper wheels and a lip kit does wonders.
I just hope they address the rear bumper diffuser.
And I will have to see it in person to know if the center console bugs me as much as it does in the WRX press photos...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just hope they address the rear bumper diffuser.
And I will have to see it in person to know if the center console bugs me as much as it does in the WRX press photos...
Yeah, I'm not sure how they'll fix the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
122 Posts
Jeeez. I haven't seen a clear picture of that rear bumper before. It sticks out like a sore thumb. So much plastic. Hopefully somebody will redesign a paint matched rear bumper. Also the wheel fenders too or wide-body and cut it out like a tumor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I find this thread very interesting as the market it is being targeted at is different than before and the people looking and finding interest are looking for it be different from it's original demographic.

just an observation.....it was originally a street-able variation of their WRC rally car. It's main competitors....at least here in US were the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO and the Ford focus ST, the street off shoots of their WRC endeavors. Now it seems to be getting compared mainly to the German road performance cars BMW "M", Audi "RS", VW "R32". Those cars also being all wheel drive in different forms, but none as out there as the STI's With clutch pack rear LSD, Torsen type front LSD, driver adjustable center. I think....and someone correct me if I am wrong, the others have a lower percentage of driveline loss, therefore greater percentage of power to the road. The STI seems to be getting lower with each year as my '17 STI sat lower than my '16 WRX and my '20 STI is even lower. I've had people ask me if I lowered it, but no that is stock. It seems that the VA's are so much less "rally car" than the "GC" and then "GD" I thin that the German cars are a different breed as comfort and luxury is taken more into account and they are much more complicated (over engineered) and give a different value per dollar.

I am not at all complaining just observing.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I find this thread very interesting as the market it is being targeted at is different than before and the people looking and finding interest are looking for it be different from it's original demographic.

just an observation.....it was originally a street-able variation of their WRC rally car. It's main competitors....at least here in US were the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO and the Ford focus ST, the street off shoots of their WRC endeavors. Now it seems to be getting compared mainly to the German road performance cars BMW "M", Audi "RS", VW "R32". Those cars also being all wheel drive in different forms, but none as out there as the STI's With clutch pack rear LSD, Torsen type front LSD, driver adjustable center. I think....and someone correct me if I am wrong, the others have a lower percentage of driveline loss, therefore greater percentage of power to the road. The STI seems to be getting lower with each year as my '17 STI sat lower than my '16 WRX and my '20 STI is even lower. I've had people ask me if I lowered it, but no that is stock. It seems that the VA's are so much less "rally car" than the "GC" and then "GD" I thin that the German cars are a different breed as comfort and luxury is taken more into account and they are much more complicated (over engineered) and give a different value per dollar.

I am not at all complaining just observing.
You could argue that the sti NOW is where the German cars were 12 years ago in terms of driving dynamics.
The e90 was the end of 'good cars' for BMW and the final chapter before starting a new series titled 'luxury boats'.
The sti has been in good form over the last 20 years, trading some raw engagement for overall refinement but still tailoring itself to it's crowd, car enthusiasts.
The 3 series, for example, has gained 50-100hp per designated "trim" but has also gained over 600+lbs in curb weight.
They aren't the ultimate driving machine any more.
Even if you stage it up and pump out the power, it's still a 2010 5 series around the belt.
The sti has even held onto hydraulic steering this long, despite it being less reliable, because it is 1000% better if you are a driver and like to feel the road.
My first car was electric steering (Volvo c30) and even though it weighed something like 300lbs less than my sti does now, it was nowhere near as engaging to drive, not even getting to the powertrain part of that equation.
I just pray that if they must go electric steering for the new chassis, they do it right.
I know it's hard, but BMW is a good example of how bad steering can ruin a drivers car(s).
Porsche did it 'right' but even die-hard p-car fans say the pre-991 cars are a more engaging experience, even if they are more raw and less refined.

I'm really going to have to see, feel and drive the new sti to form a real opinion on it (if the dealer will let me lol).
You can't trust automotive journalists these days because in a world of SUV's and electric steering, the bar has been set so low.
Here's hoping that the sti still remains an sti and doesn't become a 'refined' pedestrian hauler with more power than the standard pedestrian hauler.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You honestly watched the official unveil video and think they are targeting a different market segment than prior? The verbage and footage used are a continuation of the WRX legacy in my eyes....

·
Registered
105 Posts
You honestly watched the official unveil video and think they are targeting a different market segment than prior? The verbage and footage used are a continuation of the WRX legacy in my eyes....

You are correct, I have to admit that I had not watched the video. I will be optimistic as to what it will be..

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You are correct, I have to admit that I had not watched the video. I will be optimistic as to what it will be..
"6th Gen rally car for the street"
"Electronic wastegate for instant power"
"Fat powerband"
"Track tuned suspension"
"20% stiffer with bracing"
"Air vents for high-speed stability"
"Dual-pinion steering rack"(boooooo 😠)
"28% stiffer chassis"
"6 speed manual standard"
"D-shaped steering wheel"
"aluminum pedal covers"
blah blah blah tech stuff
"GT trim: :rolleyes: "
"bullshit about CVT :rolleyes:"
"Oil cooler (GT only?)"
"electronic suspension (GT only....🤨) "
"recaro seats (GT only... 🤨)"
"All a driver could ask for".
"styling stuff and aerodynamics"
Car drifts on salt flats the entire video

I like that they focused primarily on the performance rather than shit about cargo room and vented seats and all the junk someone like hyundai would talk about.
I don't like how they spent the better part of the last half of the video pumping up the gross CVT model because it gets a bunch of features the manual doesn't... Like the electric suspension and Recaros... That part still blows my mind that those options wouldn't be available unless you get the "GT" with the CVT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could argue that the sti NOW is where the German cars were 12 years ago in terms of driving dynamics.
The e90 was the end of 'good cars' for BMW and the final chapter before starting a new series titled 'luxury boats'.
The sti has been in good form over the last 20 years, trading some raw engagement for overall refinement but still tailoring itself to it's crowd, car enthusiasts.
The 3 series, for example, has gained 50-100hp per designated "trim" but has also gained over 600+lbs in curb weight.
They aren't the ultimate driving machine any more.
Even if you stage it up and pump out the power, it's still a 2010 5 series around the belt.
The sti has even held onto hydraulic steering this long, despite it being less reliable, because it is 1000% better if you are a driver and like to feel the road.
My first car was electric steering (Volvo c30) and even though it weighed something like 300lbs less than my sti does now, it was nowhere near as engaging to drive, not even getting to the powertrain part of that equation.
I just pray that if they must go electric steering for the new chassis, they do it right.
I know it's hard, but BMW is a good example of how bad steering can ruin a drivers car(s).
Porsche did it 'right' but even die-hard p-car fans say the pre-991 cars are a more engaging experience, even if they are more raw and less refined.

I'm really going to have to see, feel and drive the new sti to form a real opinion on it (if the dealer will let me lol).
You can't trust automotive journalists these days because in a world of SUV's and electric steering, the bar has been set so low.
Here's hoping that the sti still remains an sti and doesn't become a 'refined' pedestrian hauler with more power than the standard pedestrian hauler.
I completely agree...I have not been a BMW fan as of late, but I do miss the time when I was. The 2002tii was the car that I was in love with and the original Audi "Coupe" which was their streeted version of their rally car. It really turned the rally world on it's ears. After my post last night, I was thinking about it all and I still wonder, why are people getting cars that they expect to tune/mod and expect big power numbers and then still pick a car with a boxer engine. It seems to me that the boxers are just not the way to go. It seems to take a lot of money thrown into it and still only get moderate power....in the grand scale. I remember that was what so many people told me as I was going from a 4G63T Mitsubishi to a Subaru boxer. It did not take too much to get 450WHP from a AWD Eclipse, and it was also very
doable on the EVO VII/VIII. It seems even Porsche on their highest end 991.2 GT3 RS is only rated at 520PS out of a 4.0 liter engine. It seems it you are planning to look to get crazy power and still stay fairly reliable....not being abusive, you are best served by using an inline 4 or a V-something. It seemed like the easies HP per dollar is/was the 4G63T, the 2JZ TT. I know a tuner that was running a Supra TT with over 1200HP and it was street able and reliable. I know think that if you want real performance and don't need the "rally" breeding, an Audi RS or VW R32 is the way to go. I know that they do however have crazy expensive transmissions....if you destroy one. I follow a guy on youtube called "The Humble Mechanic" he is a certified WV master mechanic and he is doing some cool stuff with an R32 and a RS5. The question is also are you looking to be fast on the track or the 1/4 mile, road etc because they all take some different thought to build. There is a shop in the midwest that has a crazy "shop car"....a 2nd gen Eclipse still a 2.0 running in the 7's, called "Red Demon" I bet it would be crap on the street or a track other than 1/4 mile.

Don't get me wrong....personally I am more of a fan of raw than polished and luxurious. I currently have a 2020 STI limited. I am very happy with it. I did a Cobb Ti catback and that is all I will mess with as far as power. I am planning to keep if for the long term as of now. I am planning to do much suspension work....and have accumulated a lot of parts already. next on the purchase list will be a set of Cygnus X-1 coilovers and the STI lower subframe braces, then I will figure out the logistics of installing it all in one fell swoop.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"6th Gen rally car for the street"
"Electronic wastegate for instant power"
"Fat powerband"
"Track tuned suspension"
"20% stiffer with bracing"
"Air vents for high-speed stability"
"Dual-pinion steering rack"(boooooo 😠)
"28% stiffer chassis"
"6 speed manual standard"
"D-shaped steering wheel"
"aluminum pedal covers"
blah blah blah tech stuff
"GT trim: :rolleyes: "
"Oil cooler (GT only?)"
"electronic suspension (GT only....🤨) "
"recaro seats (GT only... 🤨)"
"All a driver could ask for".
"styling stuff and aerodynamics"
Car drifts on salt flats the entire video

I like that they focused primarily on the performance rather than shit about cargo room and vented seats and all the junk someone like hyundai would talk about.
I don't like how they spent the better part of the last half of the video pumping up the gross CVT model because it gets a bunch of features the manual doesn't... Like the electric suspension and Recaros... That part still blows my mind that those options wouldn't be available unless you get the "GT" with the CVT.
I completely agree....though I do hate The Dodge RAM display on the dashboard. It is very sad that you don't get all of the those goodies without the CVT.

Just like now, I really wanted the Nav, the rear cross traffic warning and the blindspot detection......only available on the limited......I did not want a limited

·
Registered
223 Posts

How dare you call the SPT a CVT!!!

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I completely agree....though I do hate The Dodge RAM display on the dashboard. It is very sad that you don't get all of the those goodies without the CVT.

Just like now, I really wanted the Nav, the rear cross traffic warning and the blindspot detection......only available on the limited......I did not want a limited
I want none of any of it, only the Recaros and the sport suspension (and the oil cooler).
I don't care for sensors beeping at me or braking for me or any of that stuff.
My parents have that on their AMG's and cruising in those cars on the highway drives me crazy.
Or when you put on your signal to change lanes and it beeps at you loudly because someone is in your way... like thanks... I saw them, I'm just waiting for them to pass so I can merge...
The worst out of all of it... adaptive cruise control...
I want the person in front of me in the fast lane to know I want to go faster and pass them, and see me coming up behind them.
Not have the car brake for me 100m back and slow down to their speed when the other person should just get the F out of the way... which they do if they see you riding up behind them.
And if they don't... that's where my 100w LED highbeams come in 😂
The only one I'm sort of okay with is the reverse camera, and now that has basically been standardized by law in some countries.
But, none of my cars are large enough to really need that, nor do I want them to be, so it's kind of a waste of tech for me.
Nice, but who cares.
The rest of it; the pedestrian detection, lane keep assist, blindspot detection, steering assist, parking sensors, etc. etc. I absolutely do not want, and if a car that I wanted had those features, I'd see about disabling them whether by software, painting sensors with black nail polish, or by deleting the sensors they rely on to function.
I drive my cars 100% of the time, I don't just press go and steer while eating a big mac or talking with my hands like a lot of people.

How dare you call the SPT a CVT!!!
💁‍♂️
Am I breaking Subaru's attempted secrets?

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
The worst out of all of it... adaptive cruise control...
I want the person in front of me in the fast lane to know I want to go faster and pass them, and see me coming up behind them. Not have the car brake for me 100m back and slow down to their speed when the other person should just get the F out of the way... which they do if they see you riding up behind them.
. . .
I drive my cars 100% of the time, I don't just press go and steer while eating a big mac or talking with my hands like a lot of people.

I'd mind some of the sensors a bit less, but mostly ditto, especially the above. It's exactly why I still love my 05.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts