IW STi Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yeah im not a big fan at all of those fender arches and those Honda civic tail lights. Like c'mon, they had years to figure this out. I think they did a good job with technology in the car. Interior looks nice, and the the GT version will come with Reccaro seats. The GT version of this will also have electronic suspension which is huge. Unfortunately the GT version of this car will only come with their automatic/cvt trans I believe.

Performance wise, they went to a 2.4L engine compared to their current 2.0L. They gained 3hp, kind of suspect but whatever. This definitely doesn't give us much hope for the next sti being that 400hp monster we were all hoping for. Id be surprised if they gave us 330hp for the next sti.

·
pwn n00bs
18,253 Posts
i think it looks great. everyone complains every year. by far the ugliest cars were the 08-10s. even the pig nose 06-07s were kinda fugly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Only out of touch fanboys expected anywhere near 400hp. Its all in relation to price. An AMG45/RS3 cost 90k cdn, the STI might touch 60k cdn. New model will have a 10hpish gain over current golf r and similar pricing/speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The FA24 engine is very stout. Much larger rods, cylinder walls. more cylinder support ( semi closed deck), and heavier crank. It can handle way more power than the EJ25 or FA20. Prime motoring took a stock block and all internals from a FA24 and had producing 550 hp with no issues. AN EJ25 would be throwing stock rods at 400 HP. 550 is way more stress than I would want to put on it, but it does give us an idea of the potential it has. We are certainly dissapointed with the the 271 HP number of the WRX. The reason for this must be the limitation of the cvt. I'm not sure why it does not put of 277 ft lbs like the Assent which has the cvt. It could have something to do with the quick shifting. I do have hope the STI will put out at least 350 hp. I like others do not get why you would have to get the slush box to get the variable dampers. It is counter intuitive just like the STI that you can do the wing delete on. The wing delete on the STI should be on the one without the Recaro seats.
People tracking the car the ones that want the Recaros and the wing. There is an old funny expression about buying a automatic transmission " Its like wearing a condom, you are there but it could be a lot better"

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The FA24 engine is very stout. Much larger rods, cylinder walls. more cylinder support ( semi closed deck), and heavier crank. It can handle way more power than the EJ25 or FA20. Prime motoring took a stock block and all internals from a FA24 and had producing 550 hp with no issues. AN EJ25 would be throwing stock rods at 400 HP. 550 is way more stress than I would want to put on it, but it does give us an idea of the potential it has. We are certainly dissapointed with the the 271 HP number of the WRX. The reason for this must be the limitation of the cvt. I'm not sure why it does not put of 277 ft lbs like the Assent which has the cvt. It could have something to do with the quick shifting. I do have hope the STI will put out at least 350 hp. I like others do not get why you would have to get the slush box to get the variable dampers. It is counter intuitive just like the STI that you can do the wing delete on. The wing delete on the STI should be on the one without the Recaro seats.
People tracking the car the ones that want the Recaros and the wing. There is an old funny expression about buying a automatic transmission " Its like wearing a condom, you are there but it could be a lot better"
Yeah stock block FA24 with bigger head studs, upgraded fuel system and bolt ons, oh yeah dont forget the big ass turbo kit. Sure it made 500-600whp, and after melted a piston shortly after. So i guess it didnt last too long at that power level lol. Either way yeah the FA24 definetly has potential over the current EJ257.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What if Subaru is entering a new market with the WRX? They will then release two STIs. 400HP and a lower version. You can't tell me this Aztec got through the design department as a base for the STI. Two STIs! And maybe the STI won't be a derivative of the WRX. Yes, this must be what's going on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just… I mean… what the heck Subaru? This looks like the wish.com version of a WRX.
Is the STI still set to reveal in October? Here’s hoping they went 180-degrees with the STI from this… thing.
No, dude. The STi unveil has always been set for NEXT fall, not this one. Next-gen STI is going to be a 2023, assuming it doesn't get delayed.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No, dude. The STi unveil has always been set for NEXT fall, not this one. Next-gen STI is going to be a 2023, assuming it doesn't get delayed.
THANKyou.
I got confused by his comment cause as far as I knew, we were only getting the wrx now and the sti would be a late 2022 reveal for a 2023 model year.
Either way, I'll wait patiently.

The sti reveal will have a big impact on what direction I go with in the future.
I've only had my current (used) GR hatch since late 2018, and I am only JUST getting it to a point where I can say it will be 'done' soon.
Stage 2+ with headers, protune happening next month.
So far I am quite happy with it.
Then I'll drive it for a couple years and feel out what's next depending on my finances.

I'm at the newsti?, newRS3?, a45, newGolfR?, some sorta cool new EV that doesn't exist yet? crossroads.
The sti is my daily, and I have a fast/fun weekend car, so I'm looking for a similar formula to what my GR is now (fast awd hatch, preferably manual) but newer, basically.
I know the new sti won't be a hatch, but if it's fast enough that's something I'd be willing to put up with.
There is no incentive to drop the GR if the next gen only has 300-330hp, because my GR now already has way more than that (at the crank).

The one thing I am not sure how I feel about... electric power steering...
They were holding off for so long on the sti by keeping it hydraulic in the VA.
Will the next gen with the fa24 be able to somehow maintain that, or will they be forced to go with electric?
Porsche has the best electric power steering by far, but people still consider the hydraulic systems on the older models a pro of going with an older one.
Yea the new ones are faster and more refined, but you don't get that raw engaging feedback of a hydraulic system in the new cars.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
THANKyou.
I got confused by his comment cause as far as I knew, we were only getting the wrx now and the sti would be a late 2022 reveal for a 2023 model year.
Either way, I'll wait patiently.

The sti reveal will have a big impact on what direction I go with in the future.
I've only had my current (used) GR hatch since late 2018, and I am only JUST getting it to a point where I can say it will be 'done' soon.
Stage 2+ with headers, protune happening next month.
So far I am quite happy with it.
Then I'll drive it for a couple years and feel out what's next depending on my finances.

I'm at the newsti?, newRS3?, a45, newGolfR?, some sorta cool new EV that doesn't exist yet? crossroads.
The sti is my daily, and I have a fast/fun weekend car, so I'm looking for a similar formula to what my GR is now (fast awd hatch, preferably manual) but newer, basically.
I know the new sti won't be a hatch, but if it's fast enough that's something I'd be willing to put up with.
There is no incentive to drop the GR if the next gen only has 300-330hp, because my GR now already has way more than that (at the crank).

The one thing I am not sure how I feel about... electric power steering...
They were holding off for so long on the sti by keeping it hydraulic in the VA.
Will the next gen with the fa24 be able to somehow maintain that, or will they be forced to go with electric?
Porsche has the best electric power steering by far, but people still consider the hydraulic systems on the older models a pro of going with an older one.
Yea the new ones are faster and more refined, but you don't get that raw engaging feedback of a hydraulic system in the new cars.
I am the same way with my GV. Im at the "im done with the car" point and then something breaks or needs upgrading. For me its more of just maintaining a 10 year old car now. As for power, most stage 2/stage 2+ sti's make around 300whp or so give or take the dyno. Thats in the area of 370-400 at the crank. It would be pretty sweet if the new sti was 400hp(crank) but realistically, the FA24 is still a subaru turbo 4 cylinder. I think we'll be lucky to see 350, but a more realistic number would be 330 in my opinion.

What im excited for is the active suspension. If its anything how what BMW has, its going to be pretty sweet. Just imagine full customizeable settings for the sti. Settings for your SI-Drive, then settings for DCCD then setting for suspension stiffness/ride quality. Who know lets even throw settings for the electric steering in there too. Settings for that could make the steering feel stiff and sporty, nuetral, or just very loose. Electric steering in my opinion is the right move. Imagine just having your preffered adjustments saved and set every single time you get in the car and drive off. It was also allow you to make adjustments on fly at the touch of the button. Get rid of the stupid PS pump and leaking rack. Electric steering will pave the way for an improved steering interaction with the driver and the car. Just think if things go the way I mentioned, theres going to be no need to commit to aftermarket suspension unless you're about that low life and need to slamm the car. There wont be a need to upgrade a steering rack due to leaks or sloopyness. Right off the bat, the driver/customer will be saving tons on "upgrades" and future repairs.

One thing i really really hope they dont do.....give the new sti a stupid 20" wheel. There is absoultly no need for wheels that big. Im cool with 18s, even 19's are fine. Not 20's, ever.
I really hope they offer the sti wth forged BBS wheels in one of their packages. Having forged factory wheels is pretty nice in my opinion. Just another thing from the factory that doesnt need upgrading if done right in my opinion.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am the same way with my GV. Im at the "im done with the car" point and then something breaks or needs upgrading. For me its more of just maintaining a 10 year old car now. As for power, most stage 2/stage 2+ sti's make around 300whp or so give or take the dyno. Thats in the area of 370-400 at the crank. It would be pretty sweet if the new sti was 400hp(crank) but realistically, the FA24 is still a subaru turbo 4 cylinder. I think we'll be lucky to see 350, but a more realistic number would be 330 in my opinion.

What im excited for is the active suspension. If its anything how what BMW has, its going to be pretty sweet. Just imagine full customizeable settings for the sti. Settings for your SI-Drive, then settings for DCCD then setting for suspension stiffness/ride quality. Who know lets even throw settings for the electric steering in there too. Settings for that could make the steering feel stiff and sporty, nuetral, or just very loose. Electric steering in my opinion is the right move. Imagine just having your preffered adjustments saved and set every single time you get in the car and drive off. It was also allow you to make adjustments on fly at the touch of the button. Get rid of the stupid PS pump and leaking rack. Electric steering will pave the way for an improved steering interaction with the driver and the car. Just think if things go the way I mentioned, theres going to be no need to commit to aftermarket suspension unless you're about that low life and need to slamm the car. There wont be a need to upgrade a steering rack due to leaks or sloopyness. Right off the bat, the driver/customer will be saving tons on "upgrades" and future repairs.

One thing i really really hope they dont do.....give the new sti a stupid 20" wheel. There is absoultly no need for wheels that big. Im cool with 18s, even 19's are fine. Not 20's, ever.
I really hope they offer the sti wth forged BBS wheels in one of their packages. Having forged factory wheels is pretty nice in my opinion. Just another thing from the factory that doesnt need upgrading if done right in my opinion.
Well I agree about the wheels - but totally disagree about the adjustability you admire in BMWs. Have ever driven a bimmer with those different adjustable settings? My prior car was one such car 340i MSport and it was awful. Yea the B58 engine is a work of art but the steering was either over assisted or artificially stiff and heavy. No setting was anywhere near the natural directness I missed in my STi and it’s why I went back and got a new one. Was a breath of fresh air. Also note the Car and Driver comparo last month of new M4 vs Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio A big reason the Alfa won was because of the absurd degree of adjustability BMW gave the M4. And no setting was as good as the Alfa was out of the box. Does Porsche let you mess with the steering settings on its sporting models? I actually don’t know. I’m betting they don’t. Message is: do what Porsche does (and NOT BMW) get the steering and chassis tuning right at the factory and leave it there.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Well I agree about the wheels - but totally disagree about the adjustability you admire in BMWs. Have ever driven a bimmer with those different adjustable settings? My prior car was one such car 340i MSport and it was awful. Yea the B58 engine is a work of art but the steering was either over assisted or artificially stiff and heavy. No setting was anywhere near the natural directness I missed in my STi and it’s why I went back and got a new one. Was a breath of fresh air. Also note the Car and Driver comparo last month of new M4 vs Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio A big reason the Alfa won was because of the absurd degree of adjustability BMW gave the M4. And no setting was as good as the Alfa was out of the box. Does Porsche let you mess with the steering settings on its sporting models? I actually don’t know. I’m betting they don’t. Message is: do what Porsche does (and NOT BMW) get the steering and chassis tuning right at the factory and leave it there.
Yes ive driven plenty of them over the years, I work on them professionally. :) Sure, no one setting may be absolutly perfect but the fact that you can adjust on the fly is nice. I wouldnt compare the STI to a Guila Quadrifolio or a G80 M3. Its just apples to oranges in my opinion. I dont absolutly admire the adjustablillity that BMW has to offer, I just like the fact that its there. One could always just leave the settings alone and drive the car as is without messing with it. Most people dont even touch the settings. I like the fact that Subaru is going with the times in a forward direction offering adjustable suspension. Who knows if it will be as good or bad as BMW. Im sure there are other manufactures that offer this technology too in there performance cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My local BMW shop owner once responded to my asking him why he did not do subaru too (since he stated to me he liked working on my STI so much)...."I'd go out of business" (meaning Subaru's don't break enough....). :)

The magnetic damper tech seems quite reliable and I hope Subaru gives that to the STI....and allows people to still add things like Ohlins....(via owner settings ....). In the end, the subaru's are actually a lot better than most other cars per dollar. This 2022...just think of it as a blank palette. They do need to think about painting some more cladding and pushing the wheels out a bit.....but what it says to me is that like the 17's on the original VA, the STI will get bigger, nicer things. We should just wait and see about the STI. It hopefully will be the monster it should be.

Fingers crossed. I think we all need to calm down and wait to see how it drive. It may be amazing.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Porsche doesn't let you mess with the steering, or have "adjustable" suspension.
They did start using electric steering in motorsports something like 15+ years ago tho, which is why theirs is the 'best' today on their road cars.
Lots of time for refinement before implementing into a production vehicle.
You don't have to have adjustability if it's just good...

I don't know about today, but a huge complaint about BMWs recently was that with the new steering and extra rolls of fat they put on, they are no longer the "ultimate driving machine" they used to brag about being.
On top of the numb electric steering that fails to emulate any form of road feel, they got super fat.
The e30 was 2600lbs, e36 3000lbs, e46 3200lbs, e90 3350lbs... and that was the end of being a sports sedan.
Now they weigh over 3,800lbs, which is what the 5 series weighed 10 years ago, so despite the power they can churn out of those turbo 6's, it still handles like a heavy GT sedan.
That's a spot for the 5 or 7 series, but now the 3 series is up there, and the 2 series is already almost there too at 3,500lbs.
That's the one thing that I absolutely pray for with the new car/chassis... keep the car under 3,500lbs.
It has been crawling over the years from the GC to the GR to the VA, but at 3,450lbs for the 2021, they better not cross that line or I'm out.
My weekend car is a 987.2 Cayman, and it scaled out at 2920lbs with a full interior, nothing removed.
Despite not being an S and only having 265hp, probably 100 less than my sti at this point, it is still a way faster and sharper car.
Power does not eliminate weight.
Don't make the sti fat!
If anything, it would be a blessing if they could get it back down to 3,300lbs!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm not their target demographic as I will never buy another Subie but that thing is gross. Cheap plastic everywhere wheel arches made with a straight ruler...?? This a car or a crossover?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Porsche doesn't let you mess with the steering, or have "adjustable" suspension.
They did start using electric steering in motorsports something like 15+ years ago tho, which is why theirs is the 'best' today on their road cars.
Lots of time for refinement before implementing into a production vehicle.
You don't have to have adjustability if it's just good...

I don't know about today, but a huge complaint about BMWs recently was that with the new steering and extra rolls of fat they put on, they are no longer the "ultimate driving machine" they used to brag about being.
On top of the numb electric steering that fails to emulate any form of road feel, they got super fat.
The e30 was 2600lbs, e36 3000lbs, e46 3200lbs, e90 3350lbs... and that was the end of being a sports sedan.
Now they weigh over 3,800lbs, which is what the 5 series weighed 10 years ago, so despite the power they can churn out of those turbo 6's, it still handles like a heavy GT sedan.
That's a spot for the 5 or 7 series, but now the 3 series is up there, and the 2 series is already almost there too at 3,500lbs.
That's the one thing that I absolutely pray for with the new car/chassis... keep the car under 3,500lbs.
It has been crawling over the years from the GC to the GR to the VA, but at 3,450lbs for the 2021, they better not cross that line or I'm out.
My weekend car is a 987.2 Cayman, and it scaled out at 2920lbs with a full interior, nothing removed.
Despite not being an S and only having 265hp, probably 100 less than my sti at this point, it is still a way faster and sharper car.
Power does not eliminate weight.
Don't make the sti fat!
If anything, it would be a blessing if they could get it back down to 3,300lbs!

Agree save Porsche’s have PASM and have gotten a little too complex and a lot too expensive. BMW’s too. There is something to be said for simple….and with that simple probably comes less weight and more feel. (And possible safety too…)

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Agree save Porsche’s have PASM and have gotten a little too complex and a lot too expensive. BMW’s too. There is something to be said for simple….and with that simple probably comes less weight and more feel. (And possible safety too…)
At least PASM is an option that u would be smart not to option on.
When you have PASM and want to install shocks/coils u have to get special things that plug into the car to fool it into thinking the PASM is there 😂
So glad I don't have that issue!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was waiting 2 months for the release of this before deciding what to buy, the day this came out I bought a 2018 Limited STI. I had a feeling this would be a 'flop' model year, like 2008

21 - 40 of 76 Posts