IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Speedometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part

Figured I'd open up the discussion over what was revealed this morning.
This is the foundation for 2023 when the new Sti arrives.
Instead of being an Impreza unibody chassis with obvious modification, this is an entirely independent model.
I believe it only shares the firewall.
Car has the 2.4L from the Ascent, with 270hp.
6 speed manual or optional "sport" transmission (a reworked CVT).
There was also mention of the si-drive arriving to the WRX.
Obviously they have moved to a giant display in the center console, taillights like the new BRZ, and a very crosstreck vibe with the cladding.
I know what I think about it, but I wanted to hear other people's comments first.
What are your thoughts?

Registered
I just鈥 I mean鈥 what the heck Subaru? This looks like the wish.com version of a WRX.
Is the STI still set to reveal in October? Here鈥檚 hoping they went 180-degrees with the STI from this鈥 thing.

Registered
View attachment 63675
View attachment 63677
View attachment 63678
Instead of being an Impreza unibody chassis with obvious modification, this is an entirely independent model.
Obviously they have moved to a giant display in the center console, taillights like the new BRZ, and a very crosstreck vibe with the cladding.
I know what I think about it, but I wanted to hear other people's comments first.
What are your thoughts?
Man, that center dash stack looks like it's from the Ford F-150 and the tail lights look like they have been pulled from a Honda Civic SI

Registered
A more quiet cabin would be nice but I'm not enjoying the aesthetics of this at all.
But that's not what the performance car are about....unless you get a German car....Subaru and many others (Merc, BMW, etc) all run a "sound pipe" into the cabin to make it louder and pave a "performance" sound inside. So many the buy these only make them louder, a friend down the court from me has a '17 WRX and you can hear it coming from 2 blocks away. I'm sure it's not quieter inside.

Administrator
To be fair, the WRX was never really a good looking car. I think it looks just as 'good' as the last couple of generations.
eh, the 15+ gen, especially a WRX Limited, is a good looking car. Very little difference, looks wise, from STI Limited.

This car wouldn't look so bad without all the wheel and trim cladding. That absolutely ruins it. I don't mind the civic tails as i'm a civic fan, but that cladding makes the whole thing look cheap as hell.

Registered
I am so so on it..want to see and feel it in person/drive it...it could be great. I like the gen 1 crosstreks more on looks too but the gen 2 drives better. Etc.

Styling - lots of options for the aftermarket and clever painting of some of the black could make it look great. Think of it as an aftermarket company's dream - because it is.

Power - there is probably a lot left in it...tuners will find it. It may be very under reported too....sand bagging happens.

The plastic wheel well things suggest to me that they could trivially make wider ones for the STI....my prediction is that will happen....

Had a 2017 wrx limitted with CVT and moved to a 19 STI. I prefer the latter, but playing F1 driver on the CVT was ok...the shifts were too slow compared to a PDK/DCT...so if they fixed that...and added a cooler, it could be a fun commuter for those that like awd and 30+mpg. The SI drive options were on the prior CVT too, not new. Two lower options were a 6sp manual and the S# was 8 speed. Just like this one. Wonder what the max tq the cvt can handle will be. That really matters to the market....

I wonder how the DI engines do with DI issues like carbon...in general.

New electronic damping option could be awesome...could be. Could be expensive to fix too. But they are getting pretty common. It should be a clue about the STI hopefully having an STI version of this.

Big and wide wheels may be very possible.

I want to see the STI....with just color/paint of some of the plastic it could look much better. Wider wheel arches hopefully too. And hope they get lighter wheels.

The Recaro's look like the bolstering issues are fixed (more of it), bottom too. See this video on YouTube (marketing heavy, but look at things...) .

I really want to see the STI now. I like it in orange.

Registered
2021 ISM STI Limited
View attachment 63675
View attachment 63677
View attachment 63678
What are your thoughts?
eh, the 15+ gen, especially a WRX Limited, is a good looking car. Very little difference, looks wise, from STI Limited.

This car wouldn't look so bad without all the wheel and trim cladding. That absolutely ruins it. I don't mind the civic tails as i'm a civic fan, but that cladding makes the whole thing look cheap as hell.
plus鈥.270 hp? not impressed. As ugly as that plastic trim is, it needs 325 hp to offset the looks

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok my opinion...
It has potential.
I have two gripes;
  • that center console is god awful. It is shaped like a shield and looks like something you'd find in a chevy... and it's not something you can fix without extensive modification beyond anyone's desire.
  • You can't option in the Recaros or active suspension on the manual... these are options for people who would otherwise buy a manual... stop trying to lure people into god-awful CVTs!
My dad owned a car with pdk, and while it was a neat little gizmo, it's like putting an intake on an n/a car... it's cool for about a day and then u get over it and suddenly it's not so fun anymore.
With all the flaws that CVT has over the best example of autotragic, I cannot fathom spending money on a car with CVT.
It's like the fun car anti-christ, and trying to make sport versions that are just a sharpened version of lame isn't going to convince me.
Stick to putting CVT's in drill presses.

I did read that the wrx gets some form of si-drive now, so that's cool...

Okay, now that I've had my rant:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

It can be made to look cool, just not in lowered crosstrek mode.
I do like the treatment to the front end, and the tails from the new BRZ are okay, but the lower half of the rear bumper is kind of tragic.
If I picked this car up, first things I'd do:
  • Paint flares bodycolour
  • Front lip
  • Side skirts
  • Rear bumper/diffuser that replaces the whole black section around the exhausts
  • Sti style spoiler
  • Lower it and replace the wheels
Pretty standard stuff, it just looks further removed from glory in stock mode.
I look forward to what they do to the sti.
Is the rumour now October?
I understood that we'd get a wrx this year and an sti later in 2022 as a 2023 model.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
plus鈥.270 hp? not impressed. As ugly as that plastic trim is, it needs 325 hp to offset the looks
It gained 3hp and .4L.... it's still 40hp shy of the EJ sti with a direct injection version of nearly the same size engine with ELH.
Something tells me this thing is going to be big for the aftermarket crowd.
I could easily see this thing hitting 330 crank at stage 2.
Just depends how strong the internals are and/or how anemic the stock turbo is as to how far you can turn it up.

Rumour was it was supposed to jump up to 300hp (32hp/20% gain) and it didn't.... so lets hope we don't end up with a 320hp sti.
If I'm ever going to graduate to a newer sti, it's gotta have at LEAST 360hp out of the box.
Otherwise that A45 and RS3 is a stretch, but that's where I'll be headed in a few years...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts