IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read about a gazillion threads about, "What is this noise in XX gear, or at XX speed, or in XX DCCD setting, etc., ad nauseum."

Here's everyone's chance to answer the questions once and for all in The Complete Guide to STi Noises. This is in the Newbie section because the majority of questions are from new owners (which I will be, at some point), and it may prevent several repeat threads.

To post in this thread, please include the following information:

Noise (what does it sound like)
Source (is it the tranny? The diffs? Tire noise? Turbo spool? Strut clunk?)
Occurence (does it happen at speed? At startup? During cornering or braking?)
Normality (Is this normal? If not, what's wrong and how does one go about fixing it?)
Link to previous threads with answers if you like, but always include the above information for clarity, please.

Of course, I did a search and found tons of "What's this noise?" threads, but not true comprehensive guide. I hope this thread will be helpful to a lot of people, and will eventually save everyone a lot of time and effort. If you think this is a bad idea, flame on! If not, please contribute as you can.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
i also have a suspension creak or clunking noise when I go over bumps. I had it checked out at auto innovations in fremont, and they took apart my whole left rear suspension and didn't find anything wrong with it. its only the left rear strut that makes the clunky noise though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here's a few normal, but fairly loud noises that scared me the first time I heard 'em (primarily because they occur at high speeds).. There's lots of posts about these two noises:

1) There is a harmonic resonance when accelerating through a fairly narrow speed range, somewhere in the neighborhood of 95-100mph. As far as I can tell, it sounds like it's coming from the rear differential area. I have not seen any definitive evidence to back that up, but it's surely coming from the back of the car somewhere. It's a loud hum--loud enough to have freaked me out the first time I heard it.

2) The mirrors "howl" constantly at very high speeds, starting somewhere between 120-150mph. It sounds like you're blowing on a reed. The noise seems to depend heavily on atmospheric conditions. In my experience, sub-freezing temperatures make the noise start sooner & much louder. The noise goes away if I crack my window an inch.

You can hear the noises in this video: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sti+top+speed/0/8e4c19d4-ae0e-468f-a28a-8906b2f93a71.htm
(in this video, noise #1 is barely perceptible at 100mph & noise #2 starts at 130mph)

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Noise the sound of metal rubbing
Source Brakes
Occurence slow speeds
Normality Time for new pads and because you hear this sound you probably need to turn your rotors too.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
The rear view mirror rattles. At least with the auto-dimming mirror.

·
Registered
373 Posts
High pitched whining noise that sounds like a jet engine :D
Source Turbo spinning at high speed, starts at around 3k RPM

Coolest noise ever ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts