IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so the java black pearl is such an orgasmic color....i picked mine up couple of days ago....and the black is already turning brown due to the dust and water stains....

what's the best way to keep the black..black?...any tips on washing, drying, waxing a black car?...what are the best materials to use?....

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I am waiting for that Mr. Clean car washing kit. It has a filter built into the nozzle to eliminate water spots. My only suggestion is to wash often in the shade if possible and dry it quickly.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ha! I'm waiting on the Mr Clean car washing kit too! I was watching the idiot box at like midnight when the ad came on. I think I'd completed the order before the commercial was over! What a godsend that thing'll be. Sadly, I think I recall them saying 8-12 weeks for delivery. :cry: I love my java black STi, and it's become very time consuming keeping it pretty. My suggestions (I've had mine since July): wash in city water if possible, as well water will leave mineral deposits (water spots). After you wash, take a 100% cotton towel (make sure it's not edged with a poly blend, as that can and will leave fine scratches) and run it over the vehicle one section at a time, while "chamoising" (sp?) with the other. Keep it waxed....as a good friend says to me: "Yeah, it's a huge PITA to keep clean, but when it's clean there's nothing prettier than a black car". I can spend an entire day detailing, only to find it dirty again after an hour on the road. The horror.....the horror.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Keeping it clean is nothing. Wait till you get about 20k miles on it and see how it looks. The more you wash it the worse it will get. Like you said there is nothing prettier than a black car but after owning 2, never again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas station selling gasoline higher than 91 octane?

Thanks guys... looks like i've got a lot of crying ahead of me...

oh btw....'mr clean car washing kit'....is that only in the states...i'm up in canada and i've never heard anything even remotly close to a nozzle that will eliminate water spots......and on top of that...it's shedualed to snow in a couple of days....

okay...that's it..i'm gonna cry now... :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
BTW, I can't see how a filter is going to eliminate water spots. Most of the spoting comes from dust and dirt sticking to the water spots so when they dry they leave a spot. Best thing you can do is dry the car immediately after washing. This sounds like another gimmick to me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
use a leaf blower when you are finished washing the car, i havn't tried it on my STi but i use one all the time on my black truck, that away you are not touching the surface w/ anything but air, so no scratches and 100mph wind is gonna dry that sucker off in like 10 min.

·
Registered
241 Posts
STi_high said:
use a leaf blower when you are finished washing the car, i havn't tried it on my STi but i use one all the time on my black truck, that away you are not touching the surface w/ anything but air, so no scratches and 100mph wind is gonna dry that sucker off in like 10 min.
WERD! I thought I was the only crazy one doing that!! :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
air compressor with a hand controlled nozzle is also good to get in the doors, mirror sills, cracks, etc to get ALL the water out as it will drain down whenyou go to drive and crap and leave water marks.

robert~

·
Registered
347 Posts
The commercial for the Mr. Clean thing says to "get yours before they become available in stores." I figure I'll just wait until it's available is stores.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
Keeping it clean is nothing. Wait till you get about 20k miles on it and see how it looks. The more you wash it the worse it will get. Like you said there is nothing prettier than a black car but after owning 2, never again.
Same.

-st

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
BTW, I can't see how a filter is going to eliminate water spots. Most of the spoting comes from dust and dirt sticking to the water spots so when they dry they leave a spot. Best thing you can do is dry the car immediately after washing. This sounds like another gimmick to me.
Actually, I believe it is the minerals in the water that cause the spots. I know where I live we have fairly hard water and it will spot like crazy if you just hose it off and don't dry the car completely. I get some nice water spots coming from the scoop when I drive my car after I wash it.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yes, the minerals in the watter add to it but the main spotting comes from dirt and dust sticking to the water. Either way you will still need to dry the car to prevent spots especially on a dark color. The minerals in water are so small I can't see how a filter will block them and still let the water flow through at a decent rate. Anyone have a link to this filter thing, I would be interested in checking it out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You could always not drive it, but that isnt an option for a car like that. I have owned my share of black or dark colored vehicles. I have learned that you need to wash them with baby diaper and make sure that you wash from the top of the car down. The dirtiest part of the vehicle is the bottom and if the mitt or diaper becomes dirty ifyou scratch the paint a it on the lowers you will not see it as much. The areas of most concern are the line of sight areas ie, hood, trunk and roof.

Dont use a lot of pressure, drag the diaper not push it into the paint. There are waxes that can give you the high depth shine that black is known for. Consult your local detailer for that. I only use commercial grade waxes and polishes. The best for black is a product called Vitreo. The shine is amazing and lasts, but you want it to last then you have to do it all the time to build it up. I had to wax mine every week or two, but by doing so it went really fast and was easy. About 20 minutes after q wash.

Make sure you use a chamois right after a wash and a leaf blower, LOL. getting water out of the cracks can really help from the water dripping out of the cracks. The front end on the STi especially.

Sorry for the book, but I wanted to share some tips from the past. You can also wrap the vehicle in saran wrap in a custom installation.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i have found that the more wax the better. i have three coats by hand...two by machine. i wash every other day and use meguiar's spray and mist...with clean towels....this is critical. My black is a mirror :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
STi_high said:
WERD! I thought I was the only crazy one doing that!! :eek: :lol:
Just picked a gas powered leaf blower. Graet idea. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
so is that it? use a leaf blower? will that forever solve the "swirl marks on the black car" problem? if so im gettin myself a leaf blower....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts