IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Re: The Big Kahoona's Journal (Protuned stg 2 - 318whp 328wtq)

Thanks guys

Madman, thanks for the heads up, but i've already found an excellent builder here. They're not cheap, but they have a history of working on scoobs with great results. Bunch of great guys to work with as well

Thing is, i know they know what they're doing, but i would also like to challenge some of the things they throw my way. In order to do that, i'd like to hear some thoughts on how it should be built... eg compression ratio etc...

My goals are pretty straightforward: track time. I barely DD my car, so i don't really care about any NVH issues as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Talk to Smitty, Billy(VGTS), Drew (T3h_Clap), and Fujiwara. Socko also seems to know his stuff when it comes to all of that.
Well i hope they see this thread and help out a brother in need :)

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

You could also PM a couple of the major building companies and see if they wouldn't mind pointing you in the right directions/critiquing the build plan for the motor. Topspeed, IAG, and EFI Logics are the three that pop into my head.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

You could also PM a couple of the major building companies and see if they wouldn't mind pointing you in the right directions/critiquing the build plan for the motor. Topspeed, IAG, and EFI Logics are the three that pop into my head.
hmm, you think they would help even if they knew beforehand that they weren't getting any business from me? (wouldn't want to be "the annoying guy") Heard great things about all 3 btw.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Yeah i'd pay a consulting fee no questions asked :)

Thanks a lot Madman!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

I'm already preparing my angus and saving up, only a matter of time to crack mine I s'pose :(
Yeah do that buddy, at least make sure you're somewhat prepared

Interesting stat from the other day at the Autodrome. Every scooby there that day had a built motor but mine.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Thanks guys

Madman, thanks for the heads up, but i've already found an excellent builder here. They're not cheap, but they have a history of working on scoobs with great results. Bunch of great guys to work with as well

Thing is, i know they know what they're doing, but i would also like to challenge some of the things they throw my way. In order to do that, i'd like to hear some thoughts on how it should be built... eg compression ratio etc...

My goals are pretty straightforward: track time. I barely DD my car, so i don't really care about any NVH issues as well.
WHoa !!!!!!!

What the hell Big K...

I'm really late on this one :rolleyes:

Sorry about the Land up the Ring :tdown:

If you don't mind me asking... What/Who is this shop/guy around your way you speak of?

Keep us posted Bro!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Hey Dspin!

I'm not really bummed to be honest. Just means i need to advance my plans. Financial restructuring lol

The shop is called Tensai Tuning. I'm the type of guy who cares more about seeing and hearing than actual credentials. Both are important i guess, and they do have great credentials, but the fact that they have a spotless reputation in our market is very reassuring.

They're also a great bunch of guys to work with: down to earth, honest etc...They even offered to lend me an EJ257 shortblock while they worked on mine to make sure i wasn't left without a ride.

Well, now that you're here Dspin, i guess the inevitable picking of your brain should now commence lol.

Hit me with some advice of wise one

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

Alright so got a quote from my builder:

Killer B oil pick up and windage tray combo
TGV delete
main bearings HX standard
rod bearings
Cosworth air pump delete plates
ECU tuning
rods
Overhauling gasket kit
engine build
pistons
BP oil (for break-in)
filter

Cost: approx $5,750

Thoughts & feedback?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Re: The Big Kahoona's Journal (need help with engine build)

What kind of rods? Pistons? Any head work? Compression?
Not sure about the brands, but they're pretty much interchangeable with no major cost differences.

Not sure about the compression. Will know these details once i head on over there and have an elaborate discussion. This was just a preliminary quote as i asked for one for budgeting purposes.

However i'd like to arm myself with a some solid advice and info from you guys before heading in

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey The Big Kahoona, first of all i want to say you have a nice looking car and sad to hear bad news on your engine.
I'm going to buy STI here in Dubai soon, was looking for a good tuner/garage and i also stopped at Tensai, wish you all the best with your car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

Well, i got an infraction for posting in the vendor's thread, so might as well post here.

I got straight up scammed by the Flossy guys...

Put in an order for a knob over 3 and a half months ago and they kept stalling until they finally stopped responding to my emails a little over a month ago

Wondering if the IWSTI mods will even do anything about their "authorized vendor" status as i have all the emails to prove this

·
Creeper v.02
2,604 Posts

Well, i got an infraction for posting in the vendor's thread, so might as well post here.

I got straight up scammed by the Flossy guys...

Put in an order for a knob over 3 and a half months ago and they kept stalling until they finally stopped responding to my emails a little over a month ago

Wondering if the IWSTI mods will even do anything about their "authorized vendor" status as i have all the emails to prove this
Ranting in here is not going to get you anywhere. If you want to get your situation out you should present all of your facts about the situation in the vendor review section. This is how other members hear reviews about vendors. I doubt anyone will come looking for reviews in your members journal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

Alright, reviving this from the dead! After a long wait, i'm finally scheduled in to have my engine built first week of May

Here is what's going in at the moment:
Killer B oil pick up
Killer B windage tray
KIller B oil pan
TGV delete
main bearings HX standard
Cosworth rod bearings
Cosworth air pump delete plates
ARP Headstuds
Manley rods
Overhauling gasket kit
CP pistons
Fully Blueprinted
filter

(8.2CR)

Other parts going in while the car is at the shop:
Samco radiator hose kit
Beatrush forged pitchstop
AMR cast aluminum turbo inlet
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley

Any thoughts before the car goes in to get the work done?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

Had a nightmare last night...that i ended up settling for with BC BR coilovers. lol, no joke. I think it's because i've been really debating whether or not i can budget for coilovers at the moment over and above my engine build

81 - 100 of 141 Posts