IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: The Big Kahoona's Journal (Protuned stg 2 - 318whp 328wtq)

Alright so planning for my next batch of goodies. Unfortunately the missus has a death grip on my nuts when it comes to mod money, so i've been somewhat spacing out my mods

Trying to build the car from the bottom up before touching the engine/turbo. Coilovers will be the last addition prior to that

Here's what i'm thinking for now. Feedback greatly appreciated:

TS pitchstop
Motor mounts (not sure which brand yet)
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley
Perrin super steer system

After that will be seats

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Alright so planning for my next batch of goodies. Unfortunately the missus has a death grip on my nuts when it comes to mod money, so i've been somewhat spacing out my mods

Trying to build the car from the bottom up before touching the engine/turbo. Coilovers will be the last addition prior to that

Here's what i'm thinking for now. Feedback greatly appreciated:

TS pitchstop
Motor mounts (not sure which brand yet)
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley)
Perrin super steer system

After that will be seats

Pitchstop = Kartboy
Motor mounts = Group N or Kartboy... (hearing that Kartboy are the most NVH)
Crank pulley = Kartboy or Perrin (just make sure you don't go with a undersize model)
Perrin super steer = Been hearing lots of god stuff about it so far :tup:

Seats = I'm actually debating that one myself as we speak :rolleyes:
All I know is make sure you take your personal physical attributes greatly into consideration (IMO seats are ultimately such a personal thing)

Looking forward to what choices you will make Big K :cool:

EDIT: --> What the hell was I thinking ??

I meant to say ... Motor mounts = Group N or Beatrush... (hearing that Beatrush are the most NVH)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Thanks Dspin. I'm surprised you of all people didn't comment about the missus thing lol

Agreed on the seats. I've sat in some Cobra's that i really liked, and i think those are the ones i'm going for.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

I'd vote Tigwerks for the mounts, and definitely do the tranny at the same time. Car's looking great man!!!
Thanks dude. Picked up a Group N tranny mount already.

Madman & Dspin, unless there's a massive difference in quality, my brand choices are often dictated by what my preferred vendors have in stock. I live in Dubai, so everything i buy comes with a hefty shipping cost. So while i'd like to get Tigerwerks motor mounts, i might opt for another brand that one of the larger vendors stocks. Bigger vendors = more money to spend with them = greatly reduced shipping costs.

Of course i'll make exceptions for any awesome parts. Killer b for example in my case

(just to illustrate, i paid $1,600 for a $1,000 CBE)

·
pwn n00bs
18,208 Posts

i think rallysport direct stocks beatrush motor mounts...i would get them. beatrush products are superb.
as far as the pulley goes, there is a huge debate about lightened crank pulleys vs. harmonic balancers. i, for one, have an ATI harmonic balancer on my car.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

Thanks dude. Picked up a Group N tranny mount already.

Madman & Dspin, unless there's a massive difference in quality, my brand choices are often dictated by what my preferred vendors have in stock. I live in Dubai, so everything i buy comes with a hefty shipping cost. So while i'd like to get Tigerwerks motor mounts, i might opt for another brand that one of the larger vendors stocks. Bigger vendors = more money to spend with them = greatly reduced shipping costs.

Of course i'll make exceptions for any awesome parts. Killer b for example in my case

(just to illustrate, i paid $1,600 for a $1,000 CBE)
That's insane! I only recommend the tigwerks because it seems to be the consensus, that while they are the more "rough" mount, the quality is far superior to GroupN. I'd go those or Beatrush personally. I can find the thread for you if you'd like. That being said I have SPT all around so no need to swap anything for me just yet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

i think rallysport direct stocks beatrush motor mounts...i would get them. beatrush products are superb.
as far as the pulley goes, there is a huge debate about lightened crank pulleys vs. harmonic balancers. i, for one, have an ATI harmonic balancer on my car.

Here's an excerpt taken from the Grimmspeed website:

"The OEM crank pulley does not act as a harmonic damper found on for example traditional V8 engine dampers. The elastomer portion of the pulley helps dampen some noise from the engine accessories (ie. alternator, PS pump, and A/C compressor) but in our experience, the increase in this noise is in-perceivable.

Here is a note directly from SOA:

"Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again."

Best wishes, John J. Mergen

Customer Service Department Subaru of America, Inc"

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

That's insane! I only recommend the tigwerks because it seems to be the consensus, that while they are the more "rough" mount, the quality is far superior to GroupN. I'd go those or Beatrush personally. I can find the thread for you if you'd like. That being said I have SPT all around so no need to swap anything for me just yet.
I've heard some good things about Beatrush as well. I also don't mind the NVH to be honest. IIR does stock them so i think i might end up going for them. Thanks!

·
pwn n00bs
18,208 Posts

awesome! so that pretty much answers that debate lol. i never got a solid answer, my car came with the ATI piece.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Thanks Dspin. I'm surprised you of all people didn't comment about the missus thing lol

Agreed on the seats. I've sat in some Cobra's that i really liked, and i think those are the ones i'm going for.

Now why would you think ME :devil: of all people would of made a silly immature comment on "The Missus" ?

I emphatically resent that Big K Sir !! :rofl:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Got the Oil Cooler installed. It was a PITB, since there was n mounting gear included (universal application not STI specific)

So got a mount custom made for this, and the results aren't bad. Here's how/where it sits now

·
Registered
66 Posts

nice location

I hope you got a thermostat with that as well? because too low oil temps are as bad as too high ones

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

nice location

I hope you got a thermostat with that as well? because too low oil temps are as bad as too high ones
Thanks!

Yeah picked up a Grimmspeed thermostat as well

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Well, definitely cracked my ringlands. Posted symptoms in the GR failures thread.

So time for a rebuild

Buying a brand xx shortblock is out of the question due to astronomical shipping costs.

Open to advice bretheren

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'm already preparing my angus and saving up, only a matter of time to crack mine I s'pose :(

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Ahhh snaps. Even when the car is protuned. :(
Yeah :mad:

On the flip side, it's not like i wasn't expecting it to happen. I'm subscribed to the "gotta pay to play" mentality so i'm not as bummed as i should be lol

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

Interesting. I know of an excellent builder in England that did my buddies ..700? whp Evo. If you want I can get the contact info for you. I realize it's not close, but hey its closer then the USA .

·
Registered
908 Posts

damn sucks to hear.. but with the pay to play mentality this could be a jump in the right direction to play more... aggressively :naughty:

61 - 80 of 141 Posts