IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1228 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Tofu delivery Special (Trying to figure out the Car PC)

Finally back stateside. Should have a decent update in the next week or so. Just need to used to being back

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Debadged the car this morning and bought a dremmel to pnp the headers. Used a rag and goo gone to get rid of the adhesive. Now I have some small scratching around the letters. Now I know why everyone is pissed about the thin paint. Also put on the killer b shift knob. Didn't like it, so it'll be listed for sale soon.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Wirelessly posted

Worked on pnp the headers yesterday, but need to get a second opinion on how they turned out. I only completed one port, a side of the small elbow where it comes off of the heads. Because it is very time consuming, I want to make sure they're turning out alright. Pics of the pnp job aren't so great, and once I get the lighting right I'll post them up.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts

I'll direct TG to this thread when they're up. He'll probably know.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Wirelessly posted

Talked to the guys at my tuning shop. The headers are fine. The 120 flapper wheel I used for the final finish is all that is needed in this case, it doesn't need to be polished. Don't worry bad, I won't forget the write up I promised. However, I am getting told that the grimmspeed crosspipe would be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Re: Tofu delivery Special (Porting a set of stock headers)

Alright, here are some photos of the porting so far. I have a second set of headers which I used to compare. Some of the photos are garbage, but show enough. This was my first attempt at anything like this, and I think it went pretty well. Anyone think I messed up, pls let me know. It's why I bought two sets of used headers.

Materials gathered

First side done over with high speed cutting tool

First side smoothed with 120 flapper wheel

First side closer up. Notice the bulge in the side. That is there to begin with.

Side by side. Didnt need to mark anything since the carbon buildup made clean lines. Big difference in size.

Closeup top side

Closeup bottom side.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts

Looks great! Wait... How are you doing these while deployed? Are you working on these over seas! :lol: Badass!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Wirelessly posted

You missed a post... I'm back.

Glad you think it looks good. Second area I ported took about an hour, so it's getting faster. As someone who has never used a dremmel before, this is pretty easy to do so far. It's just time consuming. I have to go get some more breather masks today... Blew my nose last night and metal dust came out.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Getting an alignment by Adam at Firestone on Ramsey Street as recommended by Robbie at Epic. Opted for the lifetime alignment service since the one time fee is $70 and the lifetime fee is only $150. Also, they have no problem aligning my setup under the plan should I put on a set of coil overs.

Haven't been able to port more of the headers, work has been busy. Porting in the garage in a set of coveralls is sucking hardcore with the current heat, and last time I decided to only wear short sleeves I ended up with metal shavings embeded in my arm. Not fun. Hopefully I can get a solid 4-5 hour block of porting in this weekend since I only have an hour or so of work tomorrow.

·
Registered
703 Posts

I'm intrigued regarding the porting of the stock headers. Do you have any projected power gains? Potentially naive question, will it make a difference?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)

From what I've read, gains from porting the stock headers should be about the same as other aftermarket UEL headers. Messed up the larger joint on one of my two sets of headers today after I went out and bought new attachments. I should have taken pics of the old high speed cutter and flapper wheel. I bought some tungsten carbide attachments, which have WAY too much bite compared to the high speed cutter I was using. I may still used the tungsten carbide bits, but I'm going to try it on the other sections of the large elbow before going to another part. The small elbow is completely done.

I also tried putting on my blue batmobile overlays today since the missing pieces came in today. Thanks for taking care of that for me Andy. Bad news is I messed up the headlight overlay, flat sections are easy, but the curves of the headlights make it really hard. I'll probably just go to the local shop and get them to install the remaining pieces. The flat inner pieces on the rear are the only sections I got on successfully, but I scratched the edge, so I'll get that replaced too. I'll get some more pics up when I can.

Thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Ported the inlet of the up-pipe that connects to the headers today. Ended up snapping a tungsten carbide bit shile cutting off the heat shield. It was the pointed bit, so no loss when it comes to porting, and I'm also finding that the squared off bit works better for cutting off the heat shielding anyway. Used the squared off bit to port the inlet, and it was relatively easy, just had to keep the bit moving and keep pressure at an absolute minimum to make sure it didnt bite in. I also went ahead and sanded the connection points on the previously completed elbow and the section of the up-pipe I worked on. Papers used on the mouse sander were 80, 120, and 220. The origional short high speed cutter is no longer being used, as the tungsten carbide piece has a longer cutting area and removes the material much more effectively. I should have taken intermediary pictures, but forgot to put the camera in the garage before I began work. Once the "hazmat suit" is on, I dont venture into the house. Metal shavings make for some nasty splinters, trust me.

Double inlet of the small elbow. Immediately started rusting after I cleaned the piece with carborator cleaner. Should have wiped it off instead of putting it infront of the fan to dry.

Single exit side of the small elbow, also rusted from air drying after the hose out with carb cleaner. Also re-hosed it down and wiped a bit of the surface rust off.

Bottom side of the up-pipe. Sanded down all over.

Another angle of the bottom side of the up-pipe. Notice in the two pictures it looks like I f'd up and made a nice trench in the pipe. It is actually the barrier between two pieces of metal. I'm quite pleased by the fact that a lip that used to be about 3mm is now just a small engravement on the inner walls.

Outside of the up-pipe is mostly sanded

The "naked" stock up pipe. Head shielding removed, and also a nice thick layer of rust.

Tomorrow my main priority after work will be attempting to finish up the headers completely. Second priority of work will be getting the overlays installed and the imperfections in my clear bra and tint job fixed.

Thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts

Wirelessly posted

You missed a post... I'm back.

Glad you think it looks good. Second area I ported took about an hour, so it's getting faster. As someone who has never used a dremmel before, this is pretty easy to do so far. It's just time consuming. I have to go get some more breather masks today... Blew my nose last night and metal dust came out.
Oh ****! Welcome back man! :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

Hey, I found your journal. So you're the tofu delivery guy. :lol: Nothin' like putting two obvious things together.

Naked up pipes, warning, NWS! Kind of a weird flex section compared to aftermarket ones. Grimmspeed once did a test on the flow rate of their up pipe versus the stock one. I hope the porting on yours helps bring it up to the aftermarket performance level.
Messed up the larger joint on one of my two sets of headers today after I went out and bought new attachments.
When you said DIY FTW, I just thought of myself losing control and taking huge chunks out, maybe even chunks of myself because I'm that naturally talented. My motor skills aren't exactly up to par. The science center has also taught me that my hand-eye reaction times are terrible.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Wirelessly posted

Jared, thanks for that.

Joey, glad to see you found my journal. They're much harder to figure out now that there's not links in people's main info that appears on the left. I might have to go ahead and make a signature now. I was fully expecting to take a large chunk our of one of the headers, and that's why I bought two. Murphy's law just loves me. Porting Has tested my patience because it takes so darn long to do it right, and the pieces I've done so far are by no means perfect. I'm just impatient to get to stage 2+... Like I want it protuned yesterday. The only issue with that is because of my attention span / lack of patience I haven't been able to get much more than 2.5 hours in at a time, or stay focused for the entire time. I should grab the large elbow out of the trash and take pictures of the carnage. Once it was messed up I got pissed off and started intentionally taking large sections out... It looks like something from a horror film, the only difference is it's a car part instead of a person's body part.

61 - 80 of 1228 Posts