IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1228 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooer screen constructed)

The stock CBE isn't a huge restriction. I got my SE protuned last week with a TXS CAI, Forge MBC and an Invidia Catless DP. Airboy dyno plot put it at 289whp/312wtq, so close to your power goal, and if she can deal with the intake sound, it should pass the wife test. :lol:
I've actually been looking at the Megan Racing catless downpipe, I found one for $140, which is a pretty good price. You think the MBC will be necessary, or did you just want one? She'll be just fine with the intake sound, as she likes the sounds it currently makes.

Perrin has their intakes on sale til the end of April, but they don't have their maps for the 2010 yet, so you wouldn't want to put the cai on until either their maps are ready or you can get protuned.

I went ahead and ordered mine anyway just to get the good price. It's just gonna be sitting in the box til their 2010 maps are ready though.
Been looking at getting the Perrin intake, due to the low cost and the clean look of the black CAI. I'll be going straight to a protune by Robbie at Epic Motorsports when I install the intake and downpipe.

3M Clearbra was installed by the same place that did my tinting, and I'm sure the investment will pay off since I have quite a bit of highway driving to work everyday. However, be careful who you get to install the clearbra, it can look like complete garbage on a black car if not done correctly. Mine will be redne by the shop since there are some areas I'm not currently happy with. It's always good to have an installer skiing the alpine slopes while he does the intall:mad:

Made an intercooler protective screen this evening, and posted a write up in the how-to section. Total cost was $31.50, and the construction should take about an hour, minus any painting an mounting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooer screen constructed)

I've actually been looking at the Megan Racing catless downpipe, I found one for $140, which is a pretty good price. You think the MBC will be necessary, or did you just want one? She'll be just fine with the intake sound, as she likes the sounds it currently makes.

Been looking at getting the Perrin intake, due to the low cost and the clean look of the black CAI. I'll be going straight to a protune by Robbie at Epic Motorsports when I install the intake and downpipe.

3M Clearbra was installed by the same place that did my tinting, and I'm sure the investment will pay off since I have quite a bit of highway driving to work everyday. However, be careful who you get to install the clearbra, it can look like complete garbage on a black car if not done correctly. Mine will be redne by the shop since there are some areas I'm not currently happy with. It's always good to have an installer skiing the alpine slopes while he does the intall:mad:

Made an intercooler protective screen this evening, and posted a write up in the how-to section. Total cost was $31.50, and the construction should take about an hour, minus any painting an mounting.
My tuner prefers it, he said it's not necessary but it should hold boost a bit better. When he tuned my WRX previously, I never had one.

Cool idea on the screen!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooler screen constructed)

I've read quite a few pieces on the GR, and it seems like the bodyroll and understeer described by many drivers has been fixed in the Special Edition. The nose still rises up, but the tail seems quite stable, with me pulling in second gear 3000-6500 rpms on a corner that should be taken at 15mph (wasnt looking at speedo).
Sunday I went to Shenandoah park and took some curves. The addition of the sub-frame and diff bushings have really settled down the car's jittery feel compared to when I took it out there in stock form last fall. With the stiffer springs of the SE, I am thinking things would have been even better. HURRY UP RCE!!!!11

Clear bra on my car has more than paid for itself so far. Good choice! The SE rims look blue in some shots. Damn cool!

I am putting my Invidia DP on tomorrow night after work. We are in step with our mods LOL 35% tint- exactly what I am looking to have done soon too! Was supposed to go in yesterday to get it done as a matter of fact, and when I got there the shop had closed up for an emergency. Oh well, saved me $260.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Re: Tofu delivery Special (3M clearbra installed, intercooler screen constructed)

The SE rims look blue in some shots. Damn cool!
They definitely do when you get them in the right light. Subaru calls them "charcoal", but I really think they're more of a gunmetal.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: Tofu delivery Special (turboback ordered)

Ordered the erz tubroback. At $350 I can't turn it down, mostly since the maddad turboback is about $1600. Parts will arrive at the house after I've already left, so I won't be able to get tuned to stage 2 while i'm home (even expediting wasn't getting it here in time). Kind of bummed about not getting it installed until august, but it'll get installed eventually.

My tuner also said boost controllers, ems, etc aren't really necessary with the stock ecu, so I'll be staying with just tuning the ecu until anything like that is necessary.

Diff and other bushings are def on top of list priority wise, and I hadn't considered a subframe. I'll have to look into that and see.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Wife will be driving the subie until august when I get home. Sad that I couldn't get stage2 done before leave ended, but it will give me something to look forward to. Will continue to research and update my parts list though.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Currently researching Car PCs. Thinking that with OBDII support, I should be able to avoid mounting gauges all together and keep a very clean OEM appearance while still being able to see electronic gauges. 7.1 Surround will also be great. Current Plan is for 2x 8" subs under the rear seat. Still trying to decide what CAI... thinking about changing my planned perrin to the AEM because of the numbers they advertise. Not happy with the AEM color and will have to paint it crinkle black to get the look I want, but power is more of my concern.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Re: Tofu delivery Special (turboback arrived)

Considering the AMR big MAF CAI. Anyone have a good reason to not to? I figure I might as well shell out the extra money and not have to worry about size later on. From what I've read it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Re: Tofu delivery Special (AMR Big MAF Purchased)

Went ahead and purchased the AMR Big MAF Cold Air Intake. Once I get home, the wrinkle red will be stripped from the intake and the black 2400F Jet-Hot coating will be applied. I'll be taking the Tsudo downpipe in at the same time to get the same coating. Next I just need to get a silicone coated turbo inlet and such. Hoping that insulating all this piping will reduce intake temps significantly. If not, it'll still look good:tup:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

AMR Big MAF Made it to the house already:eek: Thanks Resonant_Evil.

Post #2 has been updated to show the current parts list for the in Car PC.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Re: Tofu delivery Special (CAR PC list updated)

Car PC part listing has been updated again. Found a nettop that has optical output and a resonably priced amp that has optical input:D. Current parts price is at around $1700. Still looking for places I can shave off cost.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Shaved about $400 off the build cost of the car computer and at the same time added in 2x30GB Solid State Disks. With a raid configuration, the boot time should be lowered ALOT. There's going to be a bit of unknowns with cabling and fabrication, but at this point it's only looking like about $1400 in main components. Still Cheaper than a DVD/NAV unit + 3 gauges.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Re: Tofu delivery Special (Still refining the Car PC)

One of the guys on mp3cars.com pointed out to me that I dont want to be using an ELM OBDII bcause of the protocol it uses. Subaru apparently uses Subaru Select Monitor Protocol or SSM. There is a new piece of freeware out called ECU Tracker, which can be found HERE. For all you smart phone addicts, it looks like a great fit. The program itself is sick! ANYTHING your tuner can look at, you should be able to see on your phone/car pc. I'm excited to be able to look at real time data and keep a close eye on how she's running.

Now I just need to find a working OBDII cable for this setup, and it was suggested to me that I use a Tactrix cable. Anyone know a good place to pick one up on the cheap? Only price I've seen online is currently $150.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Re: Tofu delivery Special (AccessTUNER Race?)

Another option is to use COBB AccessTUNER Race to monitor the car since I already paid for my AccessPORT, and I'm trying to cut costs. If components keep falling off like this, life is going to get easy:D

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Re: Tofu delivery Special (Still refining the Car PC)

One of the guys on mp3cars.com pointed out to me that I dont want to be using an ELM OBDII bcause of the protocol it uses. Subaru apparently uses Subaru Select Monitor Protocol or SSM. There is a new piece of freeware out called ECU Tracker, which can be found HERE. For all you smart phone addicts, it looks like a great fit. The program itself is sick! ANYTHING your tuner can look at, you should be able to see on your phone/car pc. I'm excited to be able to look at real time data and keep a close eye on how she's running.

Now I just need to find a working OBDII cable for this setup, and it was suggested to me that I use a Tactrix cable. Anyone know a good place to pick one up on the cheap? Only price I've seen online is currently $150.

That looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Re: Tofu delivery Special (Trying to figure out the Car PC)

Yeah, I'm looking into the open source front ends like Ride Runner so I can figure out away to get the AccessPORT to send raw data to the pc and show it as a digital gauge. Every corner I turn, it seems like there is a different problem. I've been learning about the whole Car PC thing for two months and its still changing every day. The good news is I will only be looking at about a grand more in parts, and my starting price on the build was looking around 1700, so I've dropped the price considerably.

21 - 40 of 1228 Posts