IW STi Forum banner

5301 - 5319 of 5319 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
And it's comfortable?

Exactly what I was going to say. I was comfortable with my 8k/8k setup when the car was used as a grocery getter, weekend warrior and for autocross. It ran great for what I did at the time, but when the car’s purpose changed around, it didn’t work anymore. There is no right or only one answer for suspension comfort.

comfort is subjective.

I was comfortable in my 16k/15k setup, but no-one else is.

I daily on my 10k, 12k setup ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ebricky, all of this. If you’re thinking you’re going to find a coilovers that rides like stock it won’t happen. Even nice, soft spring rates coilovers with nice dampeners(KW V3’s for example) ride a lot more stiff than stock springs/struts.

So yea, completely depends on you. What is stiff or soft to you could be an extreme to someone else on one end of spectrum or the other. If you’re really curious, go ride around on different coilovers and make your decision. I’d advise finding coilovers with good dampeners though. Ohlins, KW, RCE, etc. I’d avoid Racelands and cheap Tein’s. People don’t realize how much dampeners help with ride quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ebricky, all of this. If you’re thinking you’re going to find a coilovers that rides like stock it won’t happen. Even nice, soft spring rates coilovers with nice dampeners(KW V3’s for example) ride a lot more stiff than stock springs/struts.

So yea, completely depends on you. What is stiff or soft to you could be an extreme to someone else on one end of spectrum or the other. If you’re really curious, go ride around on different coilovers and make your decision. I’d advise finding coilovers with good dampeners though. Ohlins, KW, RCE, etc. I’d avoid Racelands and cheap Tein’s. People don’t realize how much dampeners help with ride quality.

Yeah I already have the coilovers,(Cygnus x-1) equipped with 7k/7k swift springs. Not sure if that got lost somewhere but maybe I wasn't clear. I love the way they ride, and thats why I was just ensuring that I wouldnt need to increase my current coilover spring rates in order to fit my new wheels!

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read through quite a few pages and can't quite find the exact same setup, so I'm hoping to get some clarification on what's needed for fitment.

2008 STi Hatch

stock struts (for now)
RCE yellows
Com-C top hats up front

-2.0 Front
-1.8 Rear
7 degrees positive caster (just in case it makes any difference)

I am going to be using:

Gram Lights 57DR 18x9.5 ET 38
265/35/18 RE71R

I assume I am going to need a roll in the rear? Anything else required for happy fitment with current setup?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tires and Wheels are still a mystery to me since there are so many combos :( So please help :)

Would a 18x8.5 wheel with offset +35mm with a 240/45/r18 tire work without any fender rolling?

How does that compare with a +48mm offset in a performance perspective (around the same, or significantly worse feel?)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Tires and Wheels are still a mystery to me since there are so many combos :( So please help :)

Would a 18x8.5 wheel with offset +35mm with a 240/45/r18 tire work without any fender rolling?

How does that compare with a +48mm offset in a performance perspective (around the same, or significantly worse feel?)

18x8.5 is stock size, so nothing different here.

You must have meant 245/40R18 for the tire size. This is the stock size, so nothing different.

GR/GV OEM wheels came in a +55 offset. Do your current wheels have a +48?

The lowest offset you can go is +35 without modifications on a 8.5” wheel.

You’d essentially be running stock sized wheels and tires with a lower offset. This means they’ll poke out 20mm from a +55 or 13mm from a +48.

I’m assuming you’re running stock height. The only other factor that could require modification is if you have a lowered suspension. If you’re lowered about 1.75-2”, you’d rub on the inside a little in hard corners.

I run 245/40R18 8.5+38 with no issues, no fender modifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
18x8.5 is stock size, so nothing different here.

You must have meant 245/40R18 for the tire size. This is the stock size, so nothing different.

GR/GV OEM wheels came in a +55 offset. Do your current wheels have a +48?

The lowest offset you can go is +35 without modifications on a 8.5” wheel.

You’d essentially be running stock sized wheels and tires with a lower offset. This means they’ll poke out 20mm from a +55 or 13mm from a +48.

I’m assuming you’re running stock height. The only other factor that could require modification is if you have a lowered suspension. If you’re lowered about 1.75-2”, you’d rub on the inside a little in hard corners.

I run 245/40R18 8.5+38 with no issues, no fender modifications.
Hello Noximus,

Sorry to ask you this but if I go with the 8.5x18 ET30, the 5mm will need any modification or it s could be ok with no rear fender rooling.

Regards

Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hello Noximus,

Sorry to ask you this but if I go with the 8.5x18 ET30, the 5mm will need any modification or it s could be ok with no rear fender rooling.

Regards

Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

You’ll need to roll if you’re on a stock suspension. If you’re on a stiff setup, you may be able to get away with it.

If you’re running a normally narrow tire, that would help, like a MP4S, but if you run a tire that’s normally wide, like a RE71R, it’ll definitely rub. What I mean by this is that even though both tires are 245mm let’s say, some manufaturers run a little wider/squarer than that spec, and some run narrower but they’re all still classified as a 245mm. This extra mm can make a difference when you’re going for a tighter setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone

I am finally at the point where I need to get new wheels and tires. After much research I finally found a set I like. The only thing I couldn't find is if the wheels below will clear the STi brakes. Does anyone have enough expereicne with these wheels that could help answer this question? I would prefer to not run spacers and I am not above rolling fenders.
Thanks for the help

year: 2014
model: STi (hatch)
wheel model: Weds SA-72R
wheel size/offset: 18x9.5 +38 (Also come in +45, but I think that's too high of an offset)
tire brand/model: Michelin PSS
tire size: 255/35/18
suspension: Whiteline Front/Rear 22mm Swaybars (eventually will run Fortune Auto Coils)
fender mods: None (Will roll if needed)
spacers: No

Weds Hyper Black Clear SA-72R Wheel 18x9.5 5x114.3 +38mm

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hello everyone

I am finally at the point where I need to get new wheels and tires. After much research I finally found a set I like. The only thing I couldn't find is if the wheels below will clear the STi brakes. Does anyone have enough expereicne with these wheels that could help answer this question? I would prefer to not run spacers and I am not above rolling fenders.

Thanks for the help

year: 2014

model: STi (hatch)

wheel model: Weds SA-72R

wheel size/offset: 18x9.5 +38 (Also come in +45, but I think that's too high of an offset)

tire brand/model: Michelin PSS

tire size: 255/35/18

suspension: Whiteline Front/Rear 22mm Swaybars (eventually will run Fortune Auto Coils)

fender mods: None (Will roll if needed)

spacers: No

Weds Hyper Black Clear SA-72R Wheel 18x9.5 5x114.3 +38mm

They will sit flush with that offset. Can run a 265/35 if you wanted. You will need to roll the rears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They will sit flush with that offset. Can run a 265/35 if you wanted. You will need to roll the rears.

Thanks for the reply.

I assume I won't have any issues with brake clearance?

I do eventually want to run the 265s, but i will wait until I get the coils.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice wheels, if you can, please post pics when you have them fitted. Just to be clear, will the rear fenders require rolling with the 255s as well or just the 265s?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nice wheels, if you can, please post pics when you have them fitted. Just to be clear, will the rear fenders require rolling with the 255s as well or just the 265s?

There is about a half inch lip under the rear quarter panel that needs to be flattened out. So you’ll have to pretty much roll any setup that isn’t near stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pictures will be posted once they get mounted. Probably in about a month and a half.

I am currently running 18x8.5 stock BBS wheels with 255/40 tires with no fender roll and mostly stock suspension (22mm front/rear sways). I don't rub at all.

As suggested throughout this post it is recommended to roll the rears when changing wheel setup, especially if you're planning on using other than stock specs. Also keep in mind that Michelin PSS tires run a bit larger than others.

My planned setup is 18x9.5 with 255/40 Michelin PSS tires. I don't think I'll have to roll them completly flat, but will need a roll nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Been running 18x9.5 +40 Rays 57extreme with 265/35/18 potenza Re11s on my GR for years on factory setting KWv3s and only had to roll rear fenders but I just put on same sized Mich PSS and they rub in the front so have to get the fronts rolled.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Same Wheel setup 1inch drop springs 265/35R18 Falken 510 no rub in the front compared to previous Michelin PSS and rolled rear.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

5301 - 5319 of 5319 Posts