IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there ANY way to turn off or disable the dinging thing when the keys are in the ignician and the drivers door is open? Damn thing drives me crazy.
John S.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
bitabur said:
Tape down the door open sensor....
Or remove the grounding bolt to the sensor in the door jamb. Did that to my Civic for Hot Import Nights. Ran power to the car and kept the ACC on to run the electronics. . . no annoying Honda beeping to listen to.

And believe me, the Honda beeping is many times MORE annoying than Subaru's! :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is it. I looked today but didn't see it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
586 Posts
Or wrap and tape the "pinger" with a sound deadening material like DynaMat (made for sound systems). It will make the sound not as loud but you'll still be able to hear it even at highway speeds. You'll have to experiment to figure out the maximum amount of sound deadening material to put while still being able to hear the pinger. It's a small detail but it does take the annoying edge of the pinger. I've done the sound deadening to my pinger on my Saturn and it doesn't bother me anymore even though I can still hear it. Maybe it's just because I spent a whole afternoon messing with it and I've convinced myself that the time and effort I spent made a difference, but... :roll:

I'm not sure disabling the door position switch is a very good idea as the switch is part of the interior lights circuit and the alarm system circuit.

I also wouldn't recommend completely disabling the pinger mechanism as it is also hooked into the dashboard warning lights. If you do completely disable the pinger, get in the habit of closely watching all your dash warning lights when you start the car to make sure they work. Until you get the hang of, you'll probably have to turn the ignition on more than once to check all the warning lights. At least with the pinger working (quietly at least), you won't drive for miles with an oil pressure warning or other warning that you don't know about because the warning light wasn't functioning.

My twopence.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M,
thanks for your thoughts but one more question - where is it? I've looked and couldn't track it down with my ear.
Thanks,

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not the hum!!!!!

I have absolutely no idea where the pinger is in the STi, I'm still shackled in a Saturn... :cry:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ABS light on after battery disconnect???

I'll bet you can get some kind of clip that hooks to the thing and just holds down the sensor...

Or make one custom.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've got it! :D:D:D:D
See this thread, it's about how k2ramair customized the security system so now the STi can be locked and unlocked with the remote while the key is still in the ignition. At the same time, it stops the pinger from pinging when the key is in the ignition and the door is open.
You're welcome.
8)

·
Registered
87 Posts
If all you want to do is stop the pinger from pinging, then simply disconnect the key warning switch and forget about removing the pin from the Keyless Entry Control Module harness connector. Should be a quick and easy fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts