IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, never had this problem before. Everytime I go on speedbumps or up/down driveways, I hear this knocking/rattling sound in the rear.

I use to have Perrin Rear Sway Bar, and it does not sound like the "klunking" noise that the Perrin made. Its back to stock sway now.

I don't know what the noise could be. Doesn't sound good though. :(

If it helps, I got 36,300 miles on the car. Replaced the diff. & tranny fluid @ 31K, with correct fluids. Only thing I didn't do yet is brake fluid change for the 30k service, but could that be making the noise?

It's really getting me concerned because I can't firgure out what it is, it sounds like the rear end is falling apart almost, very noticable.

Any help or info would be very appreciated.

Thanks guy!!! :)

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
can you figure out where it's coming from? does it sound like a suspension rattle?

could it be the exhaust hitting something?

are your top hat bolts tight?

lower strut bolts?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You may have just joined the rear struts clunk club!

Try this:

Jack up the rear of the car (at the rear diff). Then slather on some white lithium grease (Rev, a member here, had good long term effects with Mobil 1 synthetic grease.) around the bottom part of the shaft, the shiny part under the dust boot. Kinda tricky to apply because the springs and dust boot get in the way. I used a small brush and smeared the grease on while wedging a long screwdriver in to hold back the dust boot.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't sound like exhaust hitting anything, more like my suspension. Yeah, I was reading into the rear strunt cluck, I gotta check that out. But if my car is over 36k, the rear struct is covered in the powertrain warrenty correct?

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
suspension isn't powertrain.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I find that it is the rear strunt. greasing it up should fix the problem?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
MySti06 said:
If I find that it is the rear strunt. greasing it up should fix the problem?
In some cases yes, in others no. I have to lube both rear struts about every 2 months and it works like a charm. Other guys have tried it and haven't had any luck.

It's worth a try, and if it works it's a really cheap "fix." If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll know immediately.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input, but I haven't had a chance yet to try the grease.

However, I did take out my backseats, trunk carpetting and spare tire because I was going to redo my system and I thought to myself to try to find the noise.

I drove around a bit and the noise was more distintive. Driving striaght at normal speed, I heard this "cling cling" noise in the back like I'm going over numerous speed bumps. When I take the corner hard, I hear this sound like a "ball rolling to the left", regardless of turning right or left. I also, tried slamming on the brakes and it sounds like two plates hitting eachother...

I am so confused and do not what to do. I know its becoming a serious problem, but I don't even know where to being.

Anyone got any input or solutions?

If it helps, I have Tien S-Techs on stock structs. Car has 36,600 miles.

THANKS A LOT!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ANyone?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like strut clunk. The OEM struts experience "stiction" and get very dry. When you jack up the rear you will hear almost a slight thump. That's the shaft extending to full extend. Then apply the grease.

I just greased this weekend and did a Solo event. It is still quiet, but Ohlins are on the way.

I'm still under warranty, but don't want to deal with inferior dampers.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will give that a try, what kind a grease do I use? Also, any one have any pics of where to apply the grease too? Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use Mobil 1 bearing grease, full synth (red stuff). You'll see what needs grease once you lift the car.

Just lift the dust boot and you'll see the inverted strut shaft. lube around the shaft and near the bottom where it meets the housing near the lip.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good. Thanks for all the info.

Another question though, this doesn't mean my struts are "blown" right? Just needs to be greased?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really don't know what it means if the strut starts to clunk, other than it's dry and making noise.

I'll just say this, I greased my rear struts, did a SCCA Solo event and did not experience any race related problems. I drive the car very hard at these races.

I do know that if you see damper fluid leaking out of the strut, it's probably blown.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright so I finally had time to take care of it.. all I got to say is thanks for all the help and advice.. worked right away. thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha yup. the evo 8 is my bro's. thought would be a koo pic. but thanks for all your help Risk3233

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.