IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody on in this forum there? I met most of the STi drivers, I think...

We had five STi's and two EVO VIII's at the track this weekend for one of these performance driving events. 2.9 mile road course with the main straight part of the main oval. There were some technical turns, but pretty much it is a high speed course with on-camber turns leading to straightaways.

This was the first time I have had the STi on a road course and it was really unflappable. We even had some rain and it seemed very predictable even in the wet. Since I am somewhat novice, I would hate to say exactly what the details were like other than I seemed to catch a lot of folks in some pretty "fast" cars. I think a really good driver would eat everyone for lunch.

The main advantage the STi had over the EVO seemed to be the three limited slips, including front and active center...no worrys coming out of corners and putting the power down.

In three weeks, I will take it to Motorsport Ranch in Fort Worth which is a much more complex, 1.8 mile course--much lower speeds, off-camber turns, blind apexes, etc. I hope the STi is as much fun on that course as it was at TWS!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess nobody on this forum went. Here is a picture of my and my instructor on the first day...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn't go, but I heard that you were going! :)

You were at the dealership the day I picked up my black STi ! :)

How'd your car do? What did you think of the long straight and then the "abrupt" surface level change when braking from 130mph ?? :) (I've run TWS before in an LS1 Formula 6spd)

How'd you do against the other STi ?

Regards,
Dean

·
Registered
18 Posts
InfernoSTi,

Hey, I was there and probably met you. I had a black sti with silver rims. Hughbob in this forum also went. He has a blue with silver. Great to see 5 sti's there. I hope more sti's show up. I guess the sti owners are a little more driver oriented or the evo's just have not sold as well. They are great cars as well but I think the sti's were cutting better lap times. I watched all the cars come thru the carousel and it looked like the evo had more body roll than our sti's which really surprised me. Also, after doing some high performance driving with the sti I love the feel of the steering (meaning good feedback and not too much lincoln town car power steering assist). The rack could be a little quicker, maybe they'll change that for 05. The stock brakes worked great although I'm going to put ss lines on for safety....hitting 130 on the straight makes you think about those rubber hoses down there. I four wheel drifted the car a few times and had my dccd set to about the middle. The car is easy to catch. The car does understeer a tiny bit but nothing dramatic. You can throttle steer the car very well....let off the throttle just a bit and the front in tracks. For those of you who have not tracked go to www.thedriversedge.net (for the Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas area). Great fun. You'll have a blast. cya at the track!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dean, congrats on your car. I didn't realize who you were. You will love the STi on the track. It is really easy to drive well--very forgiving and extremely quick when you get it right. Running TWS clockwise was fast fast fast. You hit turn 2 last and carry tons of speed through turn 1 and onto the main straight. The STi breaks well and consistantly. I only puckered a few times learning the correct breaking point. After that, the breaks never faded for me. The STi handles well in the corners, is easy to power out of the apex because of the three limited slip diffs, is well balanced and, like STIMPV1 said, easy to catch if you push to hard. Get yourself out to the track SOON--you will love the car! Inferno

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STIMPV1, wasn't that a great day at the track? I actually liked the first session on Sunday when it was slick the best. The STi seemed to have an advantage on everyone with the AWD and slightly softer (than EVO) set up. I loved the throttle seer, too. I have been trying to explain to my very understanding girlfriend the double corner coming down the hill that you turn in once and hit turn in, then the apex, then the exit point/turn in, then the second apex, and fiinally the exit point--adjusting the line with the right foot depending on how much dirt/mud was kicked up by the RWD cars on the previous lap! Cheers, Inferno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts