IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this over at evom.net, thought you would like to see it. Part one is in the Off-topic forum, which were my impressions of the Evo.

Well I got to drive an STi today. First impressions upon seeing car up close: It looks alot better in person than in pictures. It looks so big in pictures but in reality it's very sporty and compact. The one I drove was a WRB w/ gold wheels, 10 miles on the odo, still had plastic on seats. Me and the salesman got in, he drove it first. Very first thing I noticed was the interior is quite a bit nicer than the Evos. The guages especially, and the shifter was more in line with a $30k car. I didn't like the lack of floor mats and the carpetting was already a little dirty after only 10 miles. No stereo...not horrible as I would add an aftermarket anyway, still somewhat annoying. He drove first. Impressions were it's a firm ride, but nowhere near as firm as the Evo. It pulls hard, if not harder than the Evo, but neither of us hammered it, just quick runs up to 60 or so. The handling, again hard to tell. No dealer is willing to really take turns quickly, and due to my lack of experience with a stick, I don't feel comfortable really pushing it. We pulled into a parking lot and switched places. I hate the seats. Compared to the Recaro's, they feel like they are couch cushions made for fat asses. The dash is very nice, and guages are sweet. The shifter felt very nice. I only stalled twice, but by the end of the 15 min test drive I was feeling quite confident, it's an easy car to drive, and the clutch engages in a very comfortable spot for me.

Test drive #2: After this I went back to Carlisle, to see about actually driving the Evo this time. After 25 mins of farting around, I got in w/ one of their more senior salesman. It was night out, he drove first. He babied it. We drove over some road that was very rough and man, I'm starting to second guess it's drivability on rough roads...but I will need to test this further. I tried to drive it, but I barely got it over 15mph this salesman was so nervous, he kept telling me to be careful, slow down etc. I had a hard time w/ 1st gear, the car would buck really badly, I think I was not giving it enough throttle. Horrible test drive, it was dark, I wasn't having much luck w/ the clutch and the salesman was a sissy. I'm going back on Thursday for a REAL test drive and one of their sales managers better be there cause I'm sick of getting stuck w/ someone who knows nothing about the car on test drives.

Overall: Leaning a bit toward the STi, only because I felt more comfortable w/ the STi's power delivery and clutch. Of course this probably means nothing as I had the worst test drive ever in the Evo and deffinetly didn't get a feel for the car at all. Will take probably 1-2 more drives in each to really decide. Hard, hard decision, was hoping one would have a glaring problem that I didn't like, but neither do. Both are sweet rides.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why are dealers still treating EVO's like they're Enzos? Tell the salesman to take off the skirt when he's driving if he wants a sale and his precious comission.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe there's an STI and/or EVO owner in your area with a properly broken in car to give you a real ride. If you're near San Diego, I'll do it with my STI.

-Ollie

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, you need a real ride to appreciate either of these cars, :)

I'll drive ya through the twisties here in SC if you are nearby.

·
Registered
668 Posts
how'd you stall it? just wondering b/c multiple people have stalled my car shifting into 6th, thinking it was reverse...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Be prepared for more disappointment from that, or any, Mitsu dealer. I've had nothing but unpleasant experiences at the local and other DSM outlets. I didn't even think about buying an EVO precisely for this reason. I've heard some very disturbing service stories about Mitsu, too.

I had the best car buying experience ever at the Subaru dealer where I bought my STI(they even had a dedicated test drive STi). Their service department looks top-notch and they're even an authorized APS dealer/installer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Please don't take this in the wrong way but maybe you should practice more on your manual transmission driving technique before testing another STi or EVO? You criticize the EVO's bucking when it really is operator error that's producing the problem. (Don't say you don't like chinese food because you don't know how to use the chopsticks....) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also don't understand why EVO dealers are not willing to let people test drive the car. Is it because EVO has been receving quite a few of Car of the Year Awards? They think the car is a privileged one? They think the demand for the EVO is higher than the STI? Any thoughts?

Anyway, you need to test drive both cars in the same condition to realize the difference. Both are great cars.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sti owners in Nashville?

Klui said:
I also don't understand why EVO dealers are not willing to let people test drive the car. Is it because EVO has been receving quite a few of Car of the Year Awards? They think the car is a privileged one? They think the demand for the EVO is higher than the STI? Any thoughts?
Last time I checked (December), the sole local Mitsu dealership wasn't allowing test drives, and they were STILL asking MSRP +$5K!

Inifinity - if you ever feel like heading down to Binghamton, let me know, and I'll give you a ride in a broken-in STi.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Has anyone been watching the WRC? The remaining two Mitsubishi's had to drop out due to transmission/gear box problems. Are these transmissions at all related to the Evo's? I know that the rally puts extreme stress on the cars but to have both cars go out with similar problems would make me worry. Especially after reading about other Evos having clutch and transmission problems. Heck, even Ultimate Racing said they had issues with their Evo's tranny while trying to get it into the 11s.

·
Registered
586 Posts
drewster said:
Please don't take this in the wrong way but maybe you should practice more on your manual transmission driving technique before testing another STi or EVO? You criticize the EVO's bucking when it really is operator error that's producing the problem. (Don't say you don't like chinese food because you don't know how to use the chopsticks....) :)
Yep, driving a high-strung 4G63 takes a unique technique to drive. A technique call "zing the wee out of it." I've gotten to drive my friends 16G '91 Eagle Talon AWD quite a bit, and I couldn't get a smooth take-off at less than 3K rpms. If the salesman on the test drive gets all panicky when you rev that high to take-off, slap 'im and tell him Matt said "Hi."

Best of Luck
8)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most of the hold up reguarding test drives is buyers dont want a flogged car or a car with miles on it.
buyer are usually VERY particular. .....You know who you are.

just my opinion, correct me if I've errored :oops:

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Absolutely. I'd never buy a demo performance car or any car with more than 15-20km on it. When I order my STi, I'm going to request that it not be driven off the lot without me there. Since I do a lot of my work from home (benefits of being a programmer) the dealership is right around the corner (5 minute drive.) Dealerships typically have to go off site to have work done on cars (rust proofing etc) and to fill it up with gas before transferring it to you.

While you have to have some trust in people, I do not trust the dealership's people. Could you honestly tell me that someone taking a brand new STi off the lot isn't going to have some fun with it? I'm not paying $46k for someone else to have fun on a brand new engine. If the dealership has a problem with that, I'll go elsewhere. Sure your car has only 30km on it when you pick it up but you don't know what kind of kilometers those were. Who knows how many times the salesguy or mechanic redlined it. You'd better believe the dealership people that drive your car before you pick it up run it hard. That is unacceptable to me. It sounds anal but my sister-in-law used to work for a dealer and I've heard some scary stories.

I also don't buy cars that have been sitting on the lot for more than a week or two. I don't want a car that has been sitting in direct sunlight, unprotected for months or that has been rained or snowed on.

I guess that makes me anal huh? :D

I know I'm anal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately I'm in Rochester and won't be travelling very far soon. It's extremely hard to pick out differences on a 15 minute test drive in these types of vehicles. It's not like test driving a Jeep where you just see if you like the controls. Ahhh.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
WRXSTIsales said:
Most of the hold up reguarding test drives is buyers dont want a flogged car or a car with miles on it.
buyer are usually VERY particular. .....You know who you are.

just my opinion, correct me if I've errored :oops:

I would have to agree on this. If and/or when I get an STi, I personally wouldn't want more than 5 miles on the odo. Of course If I can get one that has 1 or less, I'll take that one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts