IW STi Forum banner

template for hood scoop screen

20K views 58 replies 30 participants last post by  bigjuice07 
#1 ·
Trunk release problem?

i did mine this morning. i took a little extra time to create a template. now no one has an excuse for not doing this mod. :)

hood-scoop-screen-template.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
slvrsti said:
...i want to use a metal mesh.anyone heard of anything availble out there?i'll still be looking-Z :D
clonegts turned us on to "gutter guard", sold at lowes and home depot. it comes in 36" by 6" strips. it's an aluminum mesh. it works really well if you use tin snips. i painted mine, but i suspect it till be badly chipped after 1000 miles of pebble protection. (clonegts, what's your experience in this regard?). i think i'll keep a black sharpie in my glove compartment. :)

while at lowes, i noticed that there were two versions of gutter guard that come in a roll; one was a black plastic mesh; the other was a silver wire mesh. both versions were a little more open than the gutter guard i used. however, they also appeared more "flimsy" and would flap around at the 130mph+ speed i do everyday on the way to work. (not.)

#8 ·
This is true....I just wasn't sure how to get the original shape in digi format without having to get all artsy!

As far as rock chips.....none that I've noticed. I figure the guard is going to be stopping bugs 95% of the time. If there are really rocks that high up on your hood already.....you should back off or find a different road! ;)

#9 ·
Xm antenna mounting position

CloNeGTS said:
...I just wasn't sure how to get the original shape in digi format without having to get all artsy!
i took a digi photo of my rough paper template with a yard stick for scale. i then loaded the image into coreldraw and scaled the photo so the inches in the photo matched the inches in corel draw. then i traced and "artsified" the template.

CloNeGTS said:
As far as rock chips.....none that I've noticed....If there are really rocks that high up on your hood already.....you should back off or find a different road! ;)
:) on a road trip last week, a rock hit my windshield; didn't see it coming; just BANG. i was doing ~80mph. fortunately there was no damage. my second thought (you can imagine my first) was "what if that entered the scoop?"

#10 ·
Ft. Collins Sept 7th.

ya I was wondering that too, I see little dings in my intercooler (nothing serious, but a fin or two turned slightly) and I was wondering if it was bugs or rocks? If it was a rock, wouldnt it still be there when you look? I havent seen any rocks in there yet, but mainly dead bugs.

Robert~

#13 ·
How much should a slightly used STi stock intercooler cost?

I've read in a few places that the people who did it took the scoop off of the hood. I was too lazy to do this, so i simply left it on. The installation process took about 45 min, because someone was helping me, and it took a little longer to stick your hands into the hood scoop and manuever the plastic tie things. I was afraid to take off the scoop because some people said that they broke one of the little black pieces that connects the scoop to the hood. Painting and cutting time was not included in the 45 min. installation time. I'm very happy that I did this mod, but i think that the holes in the screen are a little too big to hold very much out of it, but obviously, big stuff wont get in there, like birds, or bee hives. :D

#14 ·
It is a lot easier to install and do test fits after cutting the screen with the scoop off the car. It's not too difficult as long as you are careful with the plastic pieces. The 2 main ones you can reach through the hole by them and squeeze them from the inside to help push them through. I did not break any of mine. Worse case I am sure you can get new ones somewhere.

#15 ·
MKIVSupra said:
It is a lot easier to install and do test fits after cutting the screen with the scoop off the car. It's not too difficult as long as you are careful with the plastic pieces. The 2 main ones you can reach through the hole by them and squeeze them from the inside to help push them through. I did not break any of mine. Worse case I am sure you can get new ones somewhere.
Somewhere like the floor mat store... :roll:

#16 ·
I did mine last night and the template worked great. It was much easier taking the scoop out and installing the screen while sitting on my couch than leaning over the engine bay. Thanks for the template. :D

#18 ·
wonderful template. Now does anyone have similar templates for the '02-'03 WRX and '04 WRX??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.