IW STi Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Adding a weighted shift . . . knob adds momentum to each throw when you shift, so it's basically slamming the shifter through the gate . . .

Can you describe the notchy feeling you've had with your Subies?
Both that you cant shift "diagonally; from gear to gear as in many other cars. you sort of have to go sideways in neutral - and it is different from gear to gear and in direction. Yeah we feel the notch bump too - but that in itself is not an issue for us.

Raceseng makes hybrid weighted knobs in multiple styles. It's a combination of Stainless Steel and Delrin. The SS gives it weight (470 grams, almost double the stock weight) while the Delrin is known for it's thermal properties (Cobb shift knobs are Delrin). Pricey but it works.

Raceseng Sphereology - Shift Knob - Subaru - 6 Speed Manual

A weighted knob gives you momentum when shifting, making it easier to move the shift lever.
Nice knob. Not as expensive as some.

It takes more energy to move a heavier knob. Sure it carries that energy as momentum. Still not understanding why this might be beneficial. When I shift to the proper location I don't need any extra energy. If I shift to an improper location I am glad I don't have extra energy.

Neither Delrin or Al are "expensive". but nicely finished products generally require extra care and cost and obviously you guys are picky about these parts . . .

·
Registered
220 Posts
It takes more energy to move a heavier knob to a certain point. Once you get past the "tipping point" the added weight makes it easier. It's science.

I loved having a weighted knob on my old integra with a short shifter. It made shifting a lot smoother than with the stock knob. Only reason I don't have one on my STI is because I haven't been able to find one that I like and can't justify spending $200+ CAD on a knob that only costs $13 in material to make.

Knobs are a personal preference item. You won't get any performance gains from having one or not having one. Some people like the feeling of a stock knob and some like the feeling of a weighted aftermarket one. Not sure why there's so much back and forth on the topic...

·
Registered
761 Posts
The back and forth is people trying to justify choices.

These threads are what makes some down time fun, its like when schools out and the 13 year old kids talk about random crazy stuff like how their stock STI beat a blown big block drag car or how a pod filter gave me 20hp.

On topic....

How does the faster shifting effect your syncros?

The only box you can and should bash through the gears is a dog box.

If you want to make the car pretty get a pretty knob, if you want your box to last use mechanical sympathy and to be able to shift faster without damaging parts get a dog box.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I like weighted knobs because it "feels" more sturdy and planted, especially in those shifts that don't exactly go in so smoothly. When I was driving my friend's Evo a while back, he had a cheap plastic knob and that thing vibrated quite a lot when I shifted into 5th, which was a problem gear. Back to the topic of temperature though, my STi leather/steel knob never got hot, but the metal part underneath the leather does get quite cold, which is not a big deal IMO.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts