IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my friend has had his 07 sti for a couple of months and his car has been "over heating" we thought. The gauge is reading at the max and has had him freaking out. He has bled the system and swapped some other shit and still reading wrong. I decided to unmarry my AP and marry it to his and data logged the temp. The temps were anywhere from 185 to 205. Right at 205 the fans kick in and bring it down to 180ish. So the temps are within good numbers but the gauge is still reading high. What could it be? The only thing we are thinking is the sensor but we don't wanna fuck something up and do something wrong. Do you guy have any experience or opinions on what it could be??? Help is greatly appreciated as we are going to work on it this weekend. Cheers!!

·
Vendor
5,403 Posts
Corrosion on the sender causing improper reading? Corrosion on the connection to the aluminum water pipe would be the culprit. It's common on the oil pressure senders when the blocks start to corrode, you get voltage bleed causing erroneous readings.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had this issue on a different car and it was the ECT sensor. it was bad causing the temp to sit at H. Luckily it happened when I first started the car so I knew there was no way it was overheating that fast.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Corrosion on the sender causing improper reading? Corrosion on the connection to the aluminum water pipe would be the culprit. It's common on the oil pressure senders when the blocks start to corrode, you get voltage bleed causing erroneous readings.

Thanks KillerB. Hoping it's just a sensor and not a dying head gasket. Taking it back to the tuner shop in a few days. The car seems to run perfectly beyond this odd issue so we'll see.

·
Registered
332 Posts
One other tidbit of info. I never allowed my dashboard temp gauge to get fully into the red zone, therefore, the AccessPort never read more than 190 or so. The fans never turned on. I'd bring the temp down while idling by turning on the A/C as this activates the radiator fans.

Always get too nervous to ignore the dashboard gauge and rely solely on the AccessPort - not sure which to fully trust.....:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts