IW STi Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Re: Tales of a Daily Driver (post 1007: KB Hangers rippy and Moog endlinks)

Not much. A lot. Nothing. Too much. All of the above. Lot of personal stuff going on that I won't get into here ... maybe later though. The scooby is still going. Love it. I just keep driving it. I haven't wrenched on it in forever. It's got a lot more knocks here and there and it's drinking oil on me but it still sees WOT every day I drive it. I'm not nice to it at all - lol. It definitely needs new struts (still stock struts), new rotors (still stock rotors), new clutch (still stock clutch), and probably a new motor (lol - still stock motor). But, the damn thing keeps running. I can't launch it anymore or the clutch will spin. But, she still handles WOT just fine.

I did wrench on a scooby today though! Helped my buddy replace an AC line on his modded WRX. Then I used my AC tools to pull a vacuum, and fill it up with fresh 134a. Woo! His coolant reservoir was leaking so I went into my closet of parts and gave him my old stock one. Fit like a charm :)
Glad to hear the car is still holding on and running well! You still regularly do compression checks? If so, you obviously tuned this car very well if its holding up until this point.

As for the personal stuff, I hope all is well!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

It definitely needs new struts
Tim, glad to hear she's still running and providing miles of smiles. When you get ready to do struts, let me know if you might want some of the good stuff. I bought these new about 5 years ago and put less than 10K miles on them. They are the real deal JDM adjustable pinks with RCE Yellows, and they are awesome. It's one of those 'this is how it should have come from the factory' parts. They have been sitting on a shelf for the last two years and I occasionally put them on the FB groups, but I find those places are mostly good for selling cheap things for cheap prices. Anyway, being the aficionado that you are I thought it might interest you in knowing an option like this is out there.

Hope all else is well!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,023

Yea. Soooooooooo ...

I just bought these from Chris. So I guess THAT is something new for my journal.

t

Tim, glad to hear she's still running and providing miles of smiles. When you get ready to do struts, let me know if you might want some of the good stuff. I bought these new about 5 years ago and put less than 10K miles on them. They are the real deal JDM adjustable pinks with RCE Yellows, and they are awesome. It's one of those 'this is how it should have come from the factory' parts. They have been sitting on a shelf for the last two years and I occasionally put them on the FB groups, but I find those places are mostly good for selling cheap things for cheap prices. Anyway, being the aficionado that you are I thought it might interest you in knowing an option like this is out there.

Hope all else is well!

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025

I finally got off my buttocks and installed these. I also put in a new set of strut mounts instead of using the 95K mile ones from my car (lol). I opted to keep it on the cheap and ordered up a set of Moog strut mounts and used my 5% discount too. Weeeeeee. All I can say is WTF. I should have done this a loooooooong time ago. Holy crap. The car is actually LESS harsh to drive and yet way more responsive. It also looks better too. Dropped down quite nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
It was one of my favorite mods. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!!
Thanks so much Chris. I really appreciate you keeping me in mind for these and they fit my build and my budget perfectly!!!!!! They really drive so freaking well.

By the way - do you remember the strut settings? They're all set on #2 ... but is #1 the hardest or #4?

Tim

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
IIRC #1 is the softest and #4 is the hardest. When I installed them, the car was seeing street use only so I set them at #2. Later down the road at auto-x I considered clicking them up one, but they performed well enough that I figured they were outperforming me anyway, so I never changed the setting.

·
Immoderate
5,703 Posts
Nice! I have to admit to a bit of jealousy that you're still enjoying your car. Although I had the great good fortune of actually driving my old STi again recently! It's been fixed and de-modded but it still felt fantastic. The shifter was back to stock lever but still had the stiff bits in the linkage; I have to say it shifted much more precisely than the highly vaunted action in my Z4MC. A true pleasure. And the turbo surge, well...

wdb's journal: Back from the dead!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
Long time no post for me. Lol.

Car is still chewing through oil ... but running good. Compression and Leakdown numbers are still good. Definitely burning oil though since it's not dribbling anywhere. I'll run it till it blows up. lol. Still hard on it everytime I drive it. Some updates ...

I bought the car new in September of 2004. At that point I had 1 child ... and he was 2-1/2 years old. Well - now he's learning to drive a manual transmission in the STI. Gotta love it. It's super fun teaching him ... and it's still the stock clutch so perfect timing. No - the stock clutch won't hold any launches. It just spins. But, it still holds wide open throttle just fine.

The car finally let me down a tiny bit ... but in a wonderful way. Went on vacation. Lent the STI to a friend whose care was rearended. On my way home from vacation I got a call that the car broke down on them in a parking lot ... a parking lot 2 miles from my house :). I went over and did some troubleshooting. No fuel pressure. My and my boy pulled the fuel pump assembly in the parking lot, put my STOCK fuel pump back in (from circa 2006) and she fired right up. Wow. I thought the problem was the Walbro. She has about 80,000+ miles on her. But - the in tank fuel FILTER had the o-ring sticking out and it was partially unscrewed. I think the in tank filter was leaking. Haven't tested the Walbro to confirm yet. Doesn't matter though ...

I'm ordering a Walbro 450. I'm deleting the fuel filter from the tank and putting the older Subaru engine bay fuel filter up under the hood.

TIA485-2 450LPH Walbro E85 Racing Fuel Pump F90000267

t

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I thought the problem was the Walbro. She has about 80,000+ miles on her.
Great update Tim. Glad to hear she's still running well and you're giving the next generation a taste of the Suby love. Time flies! My oldest is now 15 and I've taken her driving a few times and she enjoys riding along at auto-X. What a trip!

Waaaay back we used to replace the Walbros annually. They had a pretty stellar reputation for poor longevity, so much so that a lot of shops stopped using them. I have no idea if the latest variants are any better, but I do know the latest go-to for fuel pumps are from AEM. Bosche 044 (one or multiple) are still popular with the big HP race guys, as they are pretty bullet proof and time tested. Food for thought.

Anyway, great to hear from you and keep on keepin on!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
killerbmotorsport said:
Great update Tim. Glad to hear she's still running well and you're giving the next generation a taste of the Suby love. Time flies! My oldest is now 15 and I've taken her driving a few times and she enjoys riding along at auto-X. What a trip!
I know I am going to need a motor sometime soon but I figure I got some time left on her. She's a good girl. More than anything it is just about the amount of time that I have available. So much other stuff to handle and take care of here in my neck of the woods. BTW - any references on shops that you like if I ever have to use one? I'm still doing all of my own work but you never know.

And wow! Your oldest is 15? Craziness! Time flies for sure. CHALLENGE! Teach her to drive a stick in your scubaru :)

killerbmotorsport said:
Waaaay back we used to replace the Walbros annually. They had a pretty stellar reputation for poor longevity, so much so that a lot of shops stopped using them. I have no idea if the latest variants are any better, but I do know the latest go-to for fuel pumps are from AEM. Bosche 044 (one or multiple) are still popular with the big HP race guys, as they are pretty bullet proof and time tested. Food for thought.
I guess I'm super lucky that mine has lasted for so long. I got over 12 years out of this thing and probably 90K miles. And I am not easy on the car. I do, however, keep gas in the car so the pump is usually covered up. All of that said - I've decided that I just don't have the time to install the Walbro 450 properly. I want to run dedicated wiring from the pump in that tank with appropriate weatherpack connection, drill hole in hanger plate, use a fluid tight wiring fitting, then another weatherpack outside of the tank with a run of 10 gauge positive wiring to a 40amp relay ... 30amp fuse ... then to the battery. I'll have the Fuel Pump Controller (FPC) trigger the relay with it's positive. Then 10 gauge negative wiring from the pump to the FPC in order to keep the correct ECU control of pulsing of the pump. Great for longevity. I want to experiment with the stock FPC ... but might need to run an aftermarket one.

Long story short ... I'm stabbing a new Walbro 255 in there for now. lol. But I'm still gonna delete that in tank fuel filter and install the old skool under the hood fuel filter with genuine subaru bracketry mounted in the expected location.

killerbmotorsport said:
Anyway, great to hear from you and keep on keepin on!
Given the very limited number of posts in the GD sections of IWSTI, I think we can pretty much guarantee that this is one old-timer that's in it for the long haul. And with that said ...

My Killer B parts are still running strong! Header with EWG is fucking awesome. Oil pan, pikup, and baffle are the best. Lil coolant reservoir is the bomb. Shifter knob still feels great.

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,036
Selling it. I know it's probably sad to see this post. But, I don't have the time or money to keep my baby on the road reliably. She still runs and drives ... but, honestly, the stock motor has gone above and beyond the call of duty. She's gonna need a new motor sometime soon and I'd rather sell the car in a state that somebody could drive her away. I'm gearing up to build a house and I don't have the time or money at this point.

2005 STI CGM: Project Car for a good price

·
Immoderate
5,703 Posts
Selling it. I know it's probably sad to see this post. But, I don't have the time or money to keep my baby on the road reliably. She still runs and drives ... but, honestly, the stock motor has gone above and beyond the call of duty. She's gonna need a new motor sometime soon and I'd rather sell the car in a state that somebody could drive her away. I'm gearing up to build a house and I don't have the time or money at this point.

:( It will be sad to see you out of the STi game. Hopefully someone will keep it alive and active on this forum.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Good luck on your next move. A house is always a much bigger priority.

It is still sad to see a definite pattern in

1-Reduced quality GD material
2- Reduced forum usage.

I feel old. haha

1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts