IW STi Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1041 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001
Re: Tales of a Daily Driver (post 966: Compression and Leakdown numbers)

Very nice. You have any thoughts on Justice Racing Engines in relation to having them do my machining? I've been by their shop several times already. They do a lot of the machining for so many of the popular subaru shops. I don't want to mention names here in this post but I was surprised at who they do the machining for.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Depends one what you are looking to do. If your not looking for anything crazy, I would just buy some new case halves, do a light torque plate hone to square up, and that is all the machining you should need. Just make sure you set the ring gaps with a torque plate. I have three plates if you needed to borrow one.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,007

Not much of an update but kind of a funny thing. Yesterday I was walking past my car and I said 'Hmmmmmm, the exhaust looks like it is hanging a little low'. Took a peek and the back 3 KartBoy poly hangers were ripped. The only thing holding up the exhaust was a rubber hanger ... which I put on less than a year ago because the 4th KartBoy hanger ripped apart. Tied it up with some wire for the drive home and then replaced the back three hangers with the stock rubber ones. After doing some research, it looks like the poly exhaust hangers have a lifespan shorter than the rubber hangers. That's too bad. I'd email KartBoy but, honestly, it's been ~10 years on his Hangers (installed them in 2005) so I can't really complain. lol.

I think my car is a great test for the longevity of parts. Bought the car new in 2004 and still drive it just about every day ... and it still sees WOT just about every time I drive it. Vroom vroom! SZ49 Deadbolt budget turbo still going strong. Stock 2.5L motor still going strong too (can't believe it ... was expecting to rebuild it by now!).

The only other thing that I have done is to replace the stock front endlinks with a set of Moog heavy duty greasable endlinks. These things are badass and super cheap.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Re: Tales of a Daily Driver (post 1007: KB Hangers rippy and Moog endlinks)

Tim, were the OEM endlinks dead, or just replacing them as preventative?

Running the super big Whiteline bars I'm surprised the OEM links haven't given out, but those Moog units look like a decent alternative. They do look taller than OEM (center-to-center), are they the same?

Thanks for the post and glad to hear she's still running strong!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Yay, an update! The only reason I ran some aftermarket exhaust hangers in my 2005 was to clear the hitch. I liked the look of the stock hangers more, tight to the bumper beforehand. You have the same exhaust and hitch that I did, so I'm surprised you can use the stock hangers without the 4" tip making contact with the hitch U.

I had one stock endlink break with stock suspension, and replaced it with a used stock one.

I still miss my 2005. Not that I want this to happen, but if you ever think of selling yours, I'd gladly buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010

Tim, were the OEM endlinks dead, or just replacing them as preventative?
They do look taller than OEM (center-to-center), are they the same?
As preventative maintenance AND because I have some popping in the front end that I, for the life of me, cannot figure out where the he11 it is coming from. I'm 99% sure it is the Whiteline ALK because I've removed it twice to troubleshoot the problem and after I remove it then popping goes away. Oddly enough - the popping does not happen when the outside temperature is cool (like 60d). But, once some heat gets into the car probably from radiant engine/tranny heat, the popping comes back. It doesn't pop all the time. Mainly sporadic popping when the suspension extends downward. It's been like this ever since I installed the ALK quite some time ago but I can't for the life of me track down where it is coming from.

When I pulled the stock endlinks they were actually pretty darn tight (surprised!). The center-to-center looked the same when I installed them (but I didn't measure).

All of my Killer B stuff is in perfect working order as expected! Awesome parts and can't say enough good stuff about them!!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011

You have the same exhaust and hitch that I did, so I'm surprised you can use the stock hangers without the 4" tip making contact with the hitch U.
I still miss my 2005. Not that I want this to happen, but if you ever think of selling yours, I'd gladly buy it.
I don't have the hitch anymore. Once I got the used 2003 Grand Cherokee I decided that if I wanted to haul the family's bikes I would just take the Jeep.

I'll keep you in mind if I ever sell it ... but that won't be happening anytime soon. She's been a good mule to me :D:rofl:

Tim

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

I have heard that sometimes the popping is when the sway bar shifts in the bushings. A fix is using a cut hose with clamps on it (on both sides of the sway bar bushing). This holds the sway bar in place.

Nice looking end links!!! Interested to see how they perform!

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,014

I have heard that sometimes the popping is when the sway bar shifts in the bushings. A fix is using a cut hose with clamps on it (on both sides of the sway bar bushing). This holds the sway bar in place.

Nice looking end links!!! Interested to see how they perform!
I doubt it's the swaybar but I'll try anything at this point. The reason I doubt it is because I can get the clunk with just small movements in the suspension and my swaybar is pretty damn tight. That said - THANK YOU - and I'll definitely try it. :cool::D

t

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

What's the latest over here? Any new KillerBee goodies?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Those MOOG endlinks are a nice alternative to solid links. The integral boot has an integrated Belleville washer in it to maintain proper preload on the ball stud as normal wear occurs over time. Looks like they're greaseable as well!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,017

What's the latest over here? Any new KillerBee goodies?
Nothing new ... just driving the car and enjoying it. I will be stopping off to get some Subaru Coolant today :lol: ... that's probably the newest thing subaru on the car. hehe.

I don't really have any plans either. I'm just waiting for the motor to explode. It has to happen soon right? I drive it hard! I've got 30,000 miles with the SZ49 turbo at 21-22psi and then another 40,000 before that running 21psi on the VF39. The motor is way past due to explode.

t

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Or maybe you take care of your car and know how to drive haha. You'd still think the car would protest after that much time >20 psi.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

It's been awhile Wolf! What's the latest these days?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020

It's been awhile Wolf! What's the latest these days?
Not much. A lot. Nothing. Too much. All of the above. Lot of personal stuff going on that I won't get into here ... maybe later though. The scooby is still going. Love it. I just keep driving it. I haven't wrenched on it in forever. It's got a lot more knocks here and there and it's drinking oil on me but it still sees WOT every day I drive it. I'm not nice to it at all - lol. It definitely needs new struts (still stock struts), new rotors (still stock rotors), new clutch (still stock clutch), and probably a new motor (lol - still stock motor). But, the damn thing keeps running. I can't launch it anymore or the clutch will spin. But, she still handles WOT just fine.

I did wrench on a scooby today though! Helped my buddy replace an AC line on his modded WRX. Then I used my AC tools to pull a vacuum, and fill it up with fresh 134a. Woo! His coolant reservoir was leaking so I went into my closet of parts and gave him my old stock one. Fit like a charm :)

1001 - 1020 of 1041 Posts