IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silver/Silver in Maine

Does anyone know a safe way to take off a crappy sticker the delaer stuck to the back of my STi? It looks awful, and has to come off. Thanks in advance for the tips

·
Registered
311 Posts
Use a razor blade, unless its on the defog lines. Then I think you can try alcohol. If its on the bumper or someplace like that then jsut use alcohol or tar remover

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the upper left corner of the trunk. Do you think a razor blade will damage the clear-coat?

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
bigman32 said:
It's on the upper left corner of the trunk. Do you think a razor blade will damage the clear-coat?
That's a dumb place to put the sticker. What's the dealer thinking? Every place I've gone they've put it on the window!

I've found that even rubbing alcohol wasn't good for removing sticker residue off my snowboard. I'm also not sure what it would do to the paint on an STi, although I bet it'd be safe. On my snowboard it just kinda thinned the glue out and spread it around. Then I remembered peanut butter...it worked great! Then I used regular soap to remove the peanut butter :D

The stuff works great for removing spray paint off your fingers too...I'm pretty sure peanut butter is safe on car paint too...just don't use the chunky kind :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the sticker just a sticker or is it more like a jewel?

If it's a jewel, use a hair dryer and heat it up. While the adhesive is warm, use floss and shimy it behind the jewel to remove it from the car body.

Use bug and tar remover from your autoparts store to remove any left over residue. I find the gel variety works best.

If it's just a sticker you are trying to remove, you can also use bug and tar remover.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
take it back to the dealer and tell them to take it off. I know plenty of people who have refused to take delivery of vehicles until the ugly dealer stickers were removed.

If a dealer put a sticker like that on a car I was going to buy I would ask him how much he was going to knock off the price of the car for the adverstising I would be giving them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
you can use your fingernail to peel off the sticker. Will take a while, but will be the least abrasive. Then use some adhesive remover to get the glue off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is really weird but I had some bottle of base remover for my ski's to remove the wax...it worked great on my old pathfinder it got stickers off, and even Tree sap...no problem..just dissolved it into nothing.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I don't think chunky peanut butter is clearcoat safe...smooth creamy peanut butter should be :lol:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Floss to rip through the foam tape on the back of the sticker. Rub as much of the residue off with your fingers after heating it up with a heat gun. Use Goo Gone or Goof Off on what remains. Make sure to wax over the area when done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what is the sticker made of? if it's vinyl, just peel it or use a hair dryer. thas what my dealer said.

·
Registered
359 Posts
All this talk about peanut butter in making me hungry... I guess I better take a coffee break.. :)

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Heat it with a hair dryer then peel. :wink:

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Heat it with a hair dryer then peel. :wink:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Need Advice for Audio

I have actually done this, tho' not on an STi.

I used a Hair Dryer to heat the sticker, peeled it off, then used rubbing alcohol to get rid of the adhesive.

I guess bug&tar remover would work OK too, after the hair dryer treatment.

T

·
0 Posts
If peanut butter doesn't work try a Black & Decker heavy duty hand sander. That should take care of that sticker for ya :lol:

Just kidding of course, don't try this at home. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts