IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to install my ALK but am super worried about ground clearance. I know Nhluhr suggested taking a hammer to the subframe but im wondering if anyone has actually done it.

Is it just 1/8" steel right. its not 1/4" is it? Do you guys think its possible?

P.s. Mods- Put this in the right place if its not already there:tup:

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Same here, no problems.

The spacers really only drop it 1/2" down or so. If you are so low that you can't take another 1/2", then i bet you have more problems than just the alk lowering.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTWORX.com said:
Just use the spacers that are included, it really doesn't lower the subframe too much. Since installing an ALK on my car I have not scraped the subframe on anything, including high speed bumps.

-Dan
if I have passengers, I have to drive really really slowly over bumps. On occasion, I will scrape the back end of it.(subframe)

So you dont think the hammer idea will work?

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
it couldn't hurt i guess. it is just a hollow square tube. be prepared to hammer it flat if you are looking for a difference. or you could just un-slam your car, as i can't image this happening with any normal drop.

you could also ditch that subframe and install a h-brace or the beatrush thing.

or, maybe you are your friends eat way too much.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you in a bad mood or something?
If you'll take the time to look at my signature you will notice my car is sitting on pinks and RCE plates. My friends car with swifts is lower than mine.

Id love to know what gauge the sub-frame is.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
yeah- i am kinda not happy today for some reason. dead tired too. prolly sound like a dick. i just don't see this happening, though i am on prodrive spring, which are a more mild drop. 1/2" is not much, and you will only probably remove half that drop.

anyway- i have signatures turned off, so i didn't know that you were on rce's.

as for the gauge of the steel, i do not know for sure, but it is thin. it does not weigh much at all for how large it is. a hammer would definitely sculpt it. it would easily flex during re-install.

i am serious about the h-brace idea. the eBay ones are great (i have one) and serve a similar purpose as the u brace. plus, they are cheap as can be. $100 for both strut tower bars and the h-brace, shipped.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does an H-brace replace the sub-frame? I dont want to get rid of the subframe. I looked at the Gt-spec and do-luck, i dont think I want them.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
yes & no. it can replace and it can be an addition. i will be using mine in addition, when i get around to it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
flatthump said:
Id love to know what gauge the sub-frame is.
Don't you have access to the car? If you take a look from the bottom there are some holes toward the back. You can measure it easily. I think it is 1/8" although I have never checked.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Singletrack said:
Perhaps in the 05s...not in the 04s, and it would certainly be removable...
ohhhh yea. I can remember with the slots! Im 98% sure it isn't 1/4" from memory. I think Im going to do this then.:tup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
The spacers are biggest in the rear and in the front there aren't any. The h-brace must be used with the stock brace or the matching 14point brace. I have swifts on my car with the alk and the h-brace. I have never scraped the stock brace.
Now that I think about it using a hammer on the stock brace won't do you any good. Welded into the stock brace are tubes that the bolts go thru, If you flatten the brace in certain spots the bolts will still stick out to the stock depth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts