IW STi Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 2990 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: T3h_Clap's Pink Penguin, New event article now live!! Video and Pics!

Yeah, the 3puck HD setup is a serious clutch for sure! It's noisey, chatters while engaging and is super grabby. Definitely not for the faint of heart (or DD) but so far is amazing for AutoX. It's very entertaining to watch others try and drive for the first time (state inspection and other shops not used to that kind of thing).

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,962

Yeah, the 3puck HD setup is a serious clutch for sure! It's noisey, chatters while engaging and is super grabby. Definitely not for the faint of heart (or DD) but so far is amazing for AutoX. It's very entertaining to watch others try and drive for the first time (state inspection and other shops not used to that kind of thing).
Yeah, I don't need that kind of clutch. :lol: I'm sure I could get used to it eventually. I drove a friends Stage 1 Exedy HD and the pedal felt like a brick was underneath it lol. Never skip leg day with that clutch, or expect to use it after leg day. catch 22 there. lol.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,964

oh damn. You're right. Editing. lol

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I had the stage 1 HD before this one. The pedal feel it's close to the same but the engagement is a lot worse on the 3 puck (obviously). I tore through the stage 1 rather quickly from all the hard launches and AutoX in general. That's why I stepped it up and so far it is great for taking the abuse. Next time, though, I think I may go with the twin disc!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,966

I had the stage 1 HD before this one. The pedal feel it's close to the same but the engagement is a lot worse on the 3 puck (obviously). I tore through the stage 1 rather quickly from all the hard launches and AutoX in general. That's why I stepped it up and so far it is great for taking the abuse. Next time, though, I think I may go with the twin disc!
Hmm, now you're getting me thinking. Will the new clutch last 57k miles like the stock one has?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Well that depends on how you drive it. My original stocker lasted me 90k (with mostly DD miles). Once that started to slip I did the stage 1 HD and I think it only lasted me 2 years (lots of AutoX and little street). The stage 2 HD is on its second season now but I hardly put any miles on it besides to and from events. Unfortunately I haven't been tracking how many miles on each but the stage 1 should last as long as the stock one (street miles) since the disc is so close. I think one tends to be harder on the clutch once its been upgraded so it is tough to compare.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,969

Had another awesome event this past weekend. I'll hold off on the color commentary and just post the video. Here it is!! I'm open to any pointers/suggestions.

Still on Dunlop Z2s.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,970

HOLY CRAP R-COMPS are fast!

Even used beat up A6s.

I was 2+ seconds faster than my normal "index drivers". FUCK.

I couldn't get a fast clean run in, and with two drivers I found myself focusing on switching more than thinking of places to improve.

Having 2 drivers is good though, it keeps me on my toes. I need to learn to focus and think through the course while dealing with other things at the same time. I wont always have a little bubble of quiet space to think over my lap. This is good practice for that.

The 275/35/17 Hoosiers are nice and wide and they def rub on the driver's side flare. lol. it's not bad but it leaves hoosier marks on my pretty fenders and throws hot tire all over that side of the car. lol.

Working on video and stuff this week. There was plenty of time still on course. I'll go over more later.

my co-driver driving here.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

So good but so expensive! It's gonna be hard for me to every switch away from them.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Yup, R-Comps FTW! So fun until you take them off when you're done for the day and drive home... doh!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,974

Video from Sunday.

Terrible launch, clipped a cone, stayed in 3rd when i should've down shifted. Crap. lol.

Still fast enough with the penalty to take first in SM.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts

Still fast enough with the penalty to take first in SM.
outstanding, drew!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,976

I'm not dead, i swear! just been super busy. Wife and I had a baby in Sept of last year and it has been a crazy whirlwind of awesomeness. She's living up to her middle name of Danger. haha.

AutoX ended up pretty well last season, got 2nd in points for SM. First place edged me out because he went to 2 more events that I did. I missed Aug, Sept, Oct with the new baby. lol. This year I'm working on racing all the Iowa region events and hoping to lock down a win. Although I missed the last event. haha.

Currently 2nd in points right now, during our 3rd event some of my toughest competition edged me out and I couldn't find the time to catch him. I'm blaming my 2+ yr old Z2s.

So, on that note. It's time to upgrade.

I snagged a set of 18x10.5 +15mm RPF1s from Penguin Garage along with some used 295/30/18 A7s from JB Tires.

Fitting these on stock body wasn't really an option, so after talking with Keith at Suby Flares I bit the Karlton Flare bullet (again. lol.). This time I couldn't talk my self out of doing the install like I did the first go round. The flares are great, with the guidance of Keith and Jeff I knew what I was getting myself into. With the game plan in place I decided to attempt the install myself (with help) and am pleased with how they turned out. Karlton/Suby Flares were never meant to be a bolt on/garage type install. The finish on these is really good, but there is trimming that needs to be done for them to fit the car correctly. It's highly suggested a pro do the install. Between the nights, all day Wed, all day Friday, all day Saturday, most of Sunday and some final stuff Monday there is easily 50-60hrs of work getting these fitted.

This weekend is my first autox on the new setup, lets see how many cones I hit now that the car is a good 3.5" wider. hahaha.

I'm going to do a photo dump on the next post with some in progress pics.

I'll be doing a write up for the blogs here in the next few days once I finalize a few things (ie cut more up, take better pics lol).

Things left to do before the event
1.) trim more of the dog leg
2.) trim more of the rear bumper
3.) receive/install prototype Penguin Garage bumper pusher outers

Things left to do before being "done"
1.) confirm rub free event, fix any rub spots
2.) weld up rear fenders properly
3.) paint flares (not sure if i'm painting black or white)
4.) get custom 25mm spacers from Penguin Garage for the street wheels
4.5.) buy another set of 18s that don't look absurd like the 17s do hahaha.
/holylongpostbatman

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,977

We begin.

Some trimming

Passenger side after some trimming and initial drilling. Cleco pins ftw.

Some clean up of the rear flare glue with a 3M eraser disc by Matt. Big thanks for him swinging down and helping. This thing does wonders. Would've been nicer if I had a bigger air compressor. haha.

Some grinding post cutting by Foxey, one of the many friends to come by and assist.

Rear fenders

Modified fender liner to keep my oil cooler safe.

Some snaps of the car on the 18s

·
Super Moderator
10,702 Posts
Nice, very nice. How many years did it take to commit? <snicker>

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

About time. :)

I look forward to your input on the 295 A7s and also seeing how your OSG diff handles wheel liftage. Mickle's experience is making me steer away from OSG

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,980
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

About time. :)

I look forward to your input on the 295 A7s and also seeing how your OSG diff handles wheel liftage. Mickle's experience is making me steer away from OSG
We shall see. Might ditch the rear bar entirely and go with some 4k higher rear springs.

My ZZYZX setup will most likely go in next month with the 12k/11k setup. After seeing Mickle's issues I might up that to 12k/16k and ditch the rear bar all together. lol. Not sure though.

Ordering fresh fluid for the OSG this week though to swap out after this weekend I think. That way we can eliminate bad fluid as a cause if there is an issue.

2961 - 2980 of 2990 Posts