IW STi Forum banner

2941 - 2960 of 2990 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: T3h_Clap's Pink Penguin, New event article now live!! Video and Pics!

So does she know your trying to make an open class race car out of her daily driver yet or will that be a surprise lol.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,944

So does she know your trying to make an open class race car out of her daily driver yet or will that be a surprise lol.
So the new one will be an FP/XP build? ;)
:lol: more a long the lines of doing fun mods that I always wanted but didn't because I autox'd

Oswald Subframe may go on.

I hope to use her car to help test stuff I wouldn't normally run on my car but are still awesome mods.

"fun street car build" is the plan of attack here. I'm going to put her in BS and have her plead ignorance. lol.

beautiful
Thanks. :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,946

Thanks. Look forward to tinkering with both. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

:lol: more a long the lines of doing fun mods that I always wanted but didn't because I autox'd

Oswald Subframe may go on.

I hope to use her car to help test stuff I wouldn't normally run on my car but are still awesome mods.

"fun street car build" is the plan of attack here. I'm going to put her in BS and have her plead ignorance. lol.

Thanks. :D
Xbrace.
Transmission and engine mounts.
Box that rear trailing arm.
Add TiC bushings in the rear trailing arm and lateral links.
2015 Steering rack.

;):D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,948

Xbrace.
Transmission and engine mounts.
Box that rear trailing arm.
Add TiC bushings in the rear trailing arm and lateral links.
2015 Steering rack.

;):D
I'd like to do the 15 rack in my car too, not sure on the legality of cutting up the engine subframe to pass power steering lines though. hmm.

My guys over at Penguin Garage do have a slew of beatrush goodies ready to ship out. Although the new car should be on GroupN engine/trans mount not Beatrush.

The trailing arm, and lateral link bushings would be a nice upgrade.

Not sure on the x-Brace, but then again this car wont be legal for SM anyway might as well. lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Do it, I'd love to hear your impression.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,950

looks like the 15 rack is causing some issues with the 05 subframe. Still waiting for more info.

I'm debating on selling my TiC SSTs after the ZZYZXs go on. I'd love to put them on Abby's 05 but she doesn't really have a need for coils and I could benefit from the extra $$. lol.

Also, there are talks of the V2 Karlton Flares starting production along with the V1s again. This sorta changes things. If these indeed get made they will be going on my car without a doubt. Wheel/Tire options will need to change drastically. The ZZYZXs will have plenty of spring to utilize the wider/grippier tires.

Wish I had more pics but it's effing freezing here right now.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Don't be a baby! Get out there and snap some pictures!

All that time spent in Florida with the retirees has made you soft son!

:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

PS: Karltons: Doooooooooooo it!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,952

Don't be a baby! Get out there and snap some pictures!

All that time spent in Florida with the retirees has made you soft son!

:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

PS: Karltons: Doooooooooooo it!
Lol. Well then. Maybe I'll organize a mini photo shoot for the three subarus this weekend.

the Fozzy really needs some attention though, thing is leaking oil and ps fluid on the exhaust and it smells terrible. lol.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

looks like the 15 rack is causing some issues with the 05 subframe. Still waiting for more info.

I'm debating on selling my TiC SSTs after the ZZYZXs go on. I'd love to put them on Abby's 05 but she doesn't really have a need for coils and I could benefit from the extra $$. lol.

Also, there are talks of the V2 Karlton Flares starting production along with the V1s again. This sorta changes things. If these indeed get made they will be going on my car without a doubt. Wheel/Tire options will need to change drastically. The ZZYZXs will have plenty of spring to utilize the wider/grippier tires.

Wish I had more pics but it's effing freezing here right now.
I like where this conversation is going......I like it A LOT.......

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,955

I keep on seeing threads with this being said, and then I think people are just messing with my mind... :)
They aren't messing. He's looking for someone who can make them to his standards. Rumors are he's changing materials too which may be adding to the complexity of the search.

I'm excited to chop up the car and slap on some 18x10.5 RPF1s like everyone else. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts

They aren't messing. He's looking for someone who can make them to his standards. Rumors are he's changing materials too which may be adding to the complexity of the search.

I'm excited to chop up the car and slap on some 18x10.5 RPF1s like everyone else. :D
That's good to hear. Can't wait to see something for it. Karlton always goes for quality so I'm sure we will be impressed when it does arrive.

Oh ya, same here buddy. Wheels have been sitting on the side brand new in boxes collecting dust. Have sawzall, will travel :)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,957 (Edited)

2 events in the books.

I have one run from each edited.

Event 1 was held at Hawkeye tech in Waterloo Iowa. They use a semi training area that's a nice surface. It's not huge, but I'm used to smaller lots from my Central FL days.

We had a great turn out with over 100 people, SM was strong with 6 people racing. My friend James in his Evo has always been quick. This year he showed up with fresh 255/45/17 Hoosier A6s. I knew I was going to have to step it up if I was going to be close.

Run 1 shaking cob webs and dirt off, nice and slow with a 34 + 1 cone. James knocked out a 32.627 on his first run. I had some catching up to do.

Run 2 I remembered where the gas pedal was and knocked off a 33.447 and James slowed down a tick to 33.072. Still more time to find

Run 3 I put the hammer down and was able to squeak out a little more time down to a 32.618. James and his evo kept getting slower with a 33.1. Run 3 put me ahead of James by .009 seconds.

Run 4 I'm up before James, I know he's gunning for me so I find a little more time and get my fastest run of the day. 32.595!! James makes his hit and I can tell he's pushing it. Luckily for me he clipped a cone! w00t!!
Here is the video of Run 4.

It was a tight battle all day, couldn't ask for a better event to start the 2015 Iowa Region SM Championship Battle of the Fastest!

Car did well, clutch is starting to get pissed after launching (you can tell in the video). I have an odd Idle where the car spikes to 2k rpm and then settles back down. Can't find any vacuum leaks, so I'm guessing it's tune related. Going to take logs this weekend.

Event #2 was this past weekend in Oskaloosa. The Osky airport is a very common location for us to race at. The surface is pretty good, it's plenty big, lots of space for parking/grid. It's about 1.5hrs from my house but it's driving through awesome Iowa country side so I'm not complaining.

This event we recruited another STI to join us in SM for the 2015 Iowa Region SM Championship Battle of the Fastest and Greatest. He's got a 2011 STI with a fat E85 Stage 2 tune, he also just got some RE71Rs. Yikes. We were also joined by an out of towner in SM who was from Omaha. He had a monster turbo and 275 RS3s, roll cage, and a FMIC. Sunday's competition included another local hot shoe in his A7 equipped civic hatch, he normally runs SMF but he joins us in SM for the competition. Recap of competition. Sticky fast Evo 8 (James), Corny fast GV STI (chris), Skinny fast Civic (Fransisco), Stupid fast GD STi (Bryan), and Me in my Contagious little fun machine.

The course walk showed some fun FAST elements, I personally enjoy slaloms so I was happy to see them on Sunday. Common to Osky we had a crossover in the back half of the course, along with a some deceptively fast gates. The finish was the best part, it was SHORT! After the finish you needed to come to a near stop and do a 90 degree left hand turn. If you didn't slow down, BOP *cone down* fastest run washed. (This happened a lot, thank you AP racing brakes!)

We ran by class like we did during event #1, Iowa region used to run by car #. Terrible idea, glad we're getting away from it. Par for the course SM went in heat 1 to clean up all the dirt and gravel. :lol:

With everyone lined up and talking smack, I knew it would be a tight event.
The civic had FTD at event 1 for DMVR, the Big turbo STi just looked fast sitting still and the owner had that quiet confidence and one of those ugly christmas sweater shirts with a christmas tree on the roof of a WRX wagon. James fixed his rubbing issues he had on his Evo with a fat hammer and Chris's new tires are sticky enough to pick up change. I'd be lying if I said I was confident I could stick close to the competition today.

First runs hit off and it's a shit show. Lol. Afterwards I felt like I just drove my car around the block pretty sure the car didn't even hit full boost. Not sure if I was just out of it or what but it was a pitiful run. haha.
Chris clipped of the fastest first run and came back praising the new RE71s for their unrelenting grip. Francisco managed to hit 7 cones :lol: and James clipped one. Bryan and I got slow but clean runs in.
Run two people saw improvement, except Bryan and Francisco who either clipped cones or went O/C
Run three, final run for the morning heat was a tight heat.
Bryan with a 44.092
Me with a 44.065
Francisco with a 43.546
James with a 43.331
Chris with the fastest run of 43.321!! but he hit a cone at the end of the finish making his last run a 45.321. OUCH!

Here's chris's 3rd run, check the finish.

Closing up the morning session and going to work, people were asking about lengthening the finish. With Chris getting penalized by it he argued it stay as is so everyone can suffer. haha. We saw NUMEROUS people plow though the final gates or barely bump one. They probably should've lengthened it but that wouldn't have been fair. :lol:

Going into the afternoon we were ready to lay down some devastatingly fast times.
Run 4 Bryan and I were the only ones with clean runs with a 45.175 and 43.616 respectively.
Run 5 People cleaned up their act, Chris and James laid down their fastest times with a 43.255 and 43.997 respectively. I was able to squeak out a 43.345 only .09 seconds behind James. Bryan laid down a blistering 43.001 but hit a finish cone.
Run 6 Bryan heads out first and cracks out an amazing 42.968 clean! Chris and James are next, Chris lays down a 43.6 but picks up a cone. James is only a hair slower then his previous time with a 43.274 but he clearly nailed a cone as his bumper was dangling off. lol. Running last has it's perks but it's nerve racking too. Being .09 seconds behind James and .4 seconds behind Bryan I knew I had to work some magic. I knew a few spots I could improve and I tried, my final run was a 43.198!! .057 seconds ahead of James, but still .2 seconds back from first! CRAP! Haha.

Here's a video from run #5. Run #6 didn't get GPS data for some reason so I haven't edited it yet. Once it's done I'll add it.

We cruised back home after working the afternoon heat and packing up the cars. Next weekend there is a 2 day event hosted by DMVR at the same location. I think I should go.

Whenever someone asks why I autox, this is why. Battling against friends for hundredths of a second over a 40 second course all for $25 + gas. Can't get any better than that.

Clutch still isn't happy but it is only slipping after launching. Still doing the 2k idle rev.

TL;DR;WV racecar fun time

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

The few times I've been autocrossing, I wonder to myself how much drag strip launches would help the times. It depends where the timing beams start, like if they're far away it won't matter as much. It would be nice to have a strong clutch that never cared how many launches (hard enough to spin 4 wheels) you did.

The stock clutch on my 2005 got a little bit hot after LOTS of auto-x runs, but always got back to normal afterwards.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I agree, depending on not only the starting lights but also what the first element or two looks like. I frequently launch at our site because we have fast/long and sometimes open courses. I'm running 315 BFG R1-S' and break them all free on 5k launches. Granted I have a 3 puck HD Exedy clutch. I feel that given the right start it can definitely make up at least a few tenths and I would say I've had several events where I think that was my advantage o er my competitors. It also gets good heat into the tires straight off (much needed early/late in the season here in New England). It is quite rough on the car though...

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,960

The few times I've been autocrossing, I wonder to myself how much drag strip launches would help the times. It depends where the timing beams start, like if they're far away it won't matter as much. It would be nice to have a strong clutch that never cared how many launches (hard enough to spin 4 wheels) you did.

The stock clutch on my 2005 got a little bit hot after LOTS of auto-x runs, but always got back to normal afterwards.
Any launch is better then a bog. lol. The layout matters a lot though. I've had courses where you can't floor it till after the first element because it's so tight. those are fun to watch vettes try to navigate. :rofl:

My clutch has done amazingly well over the years, it wasn't until the end of last season and now that it has started to get a little smelly after launches.

I agree, depending on not only the starting lights but also what the first element or two looks like. I frequently launch at our site because we have fast/long and sometimes open courses. I'm running 315 BFG R1-S' and break them all free on 5k launches. Granted I have a 3 puck HD Exedy clutch. I feel that given the right start it can definitely make up at least a few tenths and I would say I've had several events where I think that was my advantage o er my competitors. It also gets good heat into the tires straight off (much needed early/late in the season here in New England). It is quite rough on the car though...
I remember breaking loose my 275 V710s something awesome about that. My Z2s i've had some awesome 5.5k to 6.5k launches that I know for a fact is the reason I squeaked out a win. :lol:

I'd say the difference between no launch and a perfect launch on an open first element course is worth a good .5 seconds.

How do you like the 3 puck? I don't think i'll need to go to a segmented clutch or an HD pressure plate. Those HD pressure plates are no joke.

2941 - 2960 of 2990 Posts