IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Re: Massive picture update - motor carnage.

Looks like they are going to take a look at it, shipping it down hopefully on Friday, but it sounds like no guarantees.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

I agree, they have been very sympathetic through the whole ordeal. I just find it hard to believe that a motor let go at 1400 miles, on a 330 whp base tune?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

Think I am just going to road trip to Slowboy in Florida in a few weeks instead of sending the block out. I would like to handle the whole transaction in person.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Thanks Kauv. Hopefully in a few days, I will have some great news to bring to the table.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Well, I finally had a break in my schedule to go down into the garage and prep the short block for shipping/traveling with me. I touched the crank and wouldn't you know it? I have play back and forth.

I wasn't aware that subaru cranks are capable of crank walk??? Does this continue to point fingers at a failed oil pump?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

The Subaru oil pumps don’t fail, even after ingesting all the debris that went through it from your oil pan. If you disassemble it you will see scaring from the debris but it should still pump oil.

Its hard to say what caused your rear thrust bearing to fail but at the end of the day it's from a lack of oil. You will find the thrust area on the crank to be damaged as well, but it's already dead from the rod bearing failure.

Subarus don't have crank walk issues, what happened is you had the clutch depressed which pulls the crank toward the tranny loading the thrust bearing. This is fine if there is oil pressure but without it the thrust bearing overheats and goes by-by. This is assuming the clearance on the thrust bearing was properly setup during the rebuild...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

I ran an exedy twin disc, the clanking was the plates or was it the thrust bearing?:confused:

Can I disable the quick engage in the clutch housing to help in the future? or how can I prevent this with the next build. :banghead:

Thanks for all your help so far!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Yes, the clanking was the plates. You couldn't hear or feel the thrust bearing failing, just see the aftermath.

In the future just try to hold in the clutch a little as possible as this loads the thrust bearing. At an idle it's not that big a deal but whey you start revving the motor with the clutch is when it creates the most heat.

A high pressure clutch combined with low oil pressure is probably what caused it to fail. This is assuming the bearing clearances were proper though...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

I hear ya on the bearing clearances. I will hopefully have an answer in the next week or so when I bring it down to Florida.

Is there a list that I can keep mentally to look for myself on disassemble? Not that I do not trust the shop, I just want to account for everything I can and continue to learn as much about this car as I can.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

The ammount of damage you have to your motor will make it hard to tell what came first.

You shouldn't have a problem with the shop, just ask lots of questions and take photos of all the parts so you can look at them later when a question pops up.

Have fun learning!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

TY again CP :D. You definitely make me feel better about this project as it goes on.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

Now the research comes...Need to pair this 6262 with some cams!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

What should be the proper bearing measurements at the crank? Are they generally supplied via the manufacturer of the rods? or Subaru based on the crank used?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)

Yes. I didn't know where to look other than searching the web I suppose. Wasn't sure where to start looking. I figured it was around .001.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

The main bearing clearances on the #1 journal = .00012 to .0012
#2 journal = .0004 to .0012
#3 journal = .00012 to .0012
#4 journal = .0004 to .0012
#5 journal = .0004 to .0012
Thrust bearing clearance = .0012 to .0045

The rod bearing clearances should be between .0007 and .0018”

These are the factory bearing clearances from Subaru for a new STI motor, keep in mind the clearances in your damaged motor will be different.

Team Crawford

81 - 100 of 506 Posts