IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: t00mes 2007 OBP STI, ongoing engine rebuild. MOTOR IS ON ITS WAY HOME!!! SO CLOS

So the motor came in on Friday, I worked pretty much entirely by myself through Friday evening and Saturday evening. I am ready to drop the motor back into the car as soon as my throw-out bearing comes in the mail. I am not paying 150$ for a new one at the dealership.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: t00mes 2007 OBP STI, ENGINE IS TOGETHER!! install pics uploaded

Motor is in. All I have to say is FFFFU*******K twin disc clutches! I had to figure out the tricks with installing it to keep the clutch discs aligned an making the input shaft happy at the same time. Simple 1/16 revolutions of the crank made it slide in like it was coated with butter.

Time to hook up all the little stuff!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Just a question. Why did you go with the grimmspeed P&P Mani and Up-pipe opposed to any tubular headers out there?

Matt.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

I went with a ported stock header because I didn't think that #1, the Dom3 would be making enough power to facilitate the need for a larger header pipe, #2 I wanted to avoid cracking due to higher EGT's that most aftermarket headers tend to end up doing. Plus I got them for 350 combined.:lol:

It was really hard to pass up a deal that well!

The only way I think I would get different headers is if I end up going with the APS twin-scroll kit. That way I would not have had to purchase multiple headers.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

I was just checking. I also went with the Grimmspeed P&P Mani x-Pipe and Up-pipe after my GT Spec header took a **** on me at the track wasted my hole day! I would think this header would be perfect for an 18G

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I was just checking. I also went with the Grimmspeed P&P Mani x-Pipe and Up-pipe after my GT Spec header took a **** on me at the track wasted my hole day! I would think this header would be perfect for an 18G
I haven't heard great things about the GT SPEC piping product lines, but then again, I may have only heard the misfortunes and none of the praise.

We will see very soon how this pnp stock manifold and up pipe does. I should be turning the motor over for the first time tomorrow and beginning break in.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Oh my god!!! Finally drove the car 7 miles today after 6 months of waiting and building! What a dream. This exedy twin disc chatter suck my D though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Re: t00mes 2007 OBP STI, EFI Base tune. Full run to come in the next week or two.

Car has been running pretty awesome during break-in. I spent a few hours down at EFI Logics last weekend and had the guys take a look at my car. Chris did a base tune for me, but we found that the Perrin BOV (recirc) venting to atmosphere just will not work with a blow through setup. I have a TIAL coming from slowboyracing this week. Hopefully after I get that welded on I can push full tune.

Chris has thought my Grimmspeed high flow cross pipe was leaking after only 1100 miles. The tick sounded the same from day 1 to me and I even went as far as calling GS and asking if they have had any failures yet -- it turns out, I would be the first.

I might end up getting an equal length header before I go back down.:notsure:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Re: t00mes 2007 OBP STI, EFI Base tune. Full run to come in the next week or two.

I need some serious suggestions on how to clean up the engine bay. Looks like a rats nest, the more and more I look at it :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Car is for sale. 27K, 26000 miles. Needs new short block. Everything comes together, no part out.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts

What happened to the motor you just built?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Rod or bearing. Im done with this project, time and energy is at 0.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Re: Car is for sale. Needs new short block. 27k all mods are staying with the car.

Damn this was a short lived journal. :(

You're asking way to much though.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Re: Car is for sale. Needs new short block. 27k all mods are staying with the car.

I don't get it. :confused:
Did it break during the break in period? :(
What did ELI Logics have to say?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

yes the car broke during the break in period.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Frack!

Who built the engine? Slowboy?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Yes, motor work had been at slowboyracing.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Yes, motor work had been at slowboyracing.
That 'splains everything!
Sorry for your loss... hope you rethink selling, you won't get what you want for it as it sits. You should either throw a bone stock 257 in it and sell it running or part it out. Did you keep many of your stock parts?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

I have a spare 2.5liter, crank, 2 sets of stock rods, bearing (main and rod) and i think some arp block bolts (could be head studs though, havent looked in a while)...

pm me if your interested in any of it, we can talk numbers. Im basicaly right down the street too.

21 - 40 of 506 Posts