IW STi Forum banner

401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Water is 8.4#/gal so that's easy to figure, but how much does the AWIC, pump, tank and plumbing weigh?
Good question but not easy to answer for the simple reason that any two are not the same for the most part. Too many variables with IC core size, radiator choice and material used for plumbing. I'd venture to say that the total weight minus water would be close to the same as an AWIC setup. I like the ease of plumbing a couple of AN-12 lines instead of fighting with 10 foot of 3" tubing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just in case anybody still wants to use this setup, the AC drier clamp from a 93-99 Impreza or Legacy is the same diameter as the Bosch water pump. This way you can have a factory clamp to hold the pump, plenty in the junkyard, and far cheaper/better than anything offered besides some custom overpriced billet part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for the original build post T-G.

Here is my attempted:

Frozen boost core and radiator, Davies Craig 115L/h water pump, washer bottle used as reserve, pre and post cooler temp probes.

Engine setup:
- EJ207 AUS V7 forged bottom end
- JDM Spec C V9 big port heads
- ARP 625 studs
- GTPumps GTPS02 TD05 20G 7cm @ 25 psi
- Walbro 460 fuel pump
- ID1000 injectors
- Process West 72mm intake
- AVO silicone inlet
- PSR equal length headers
- Hyperflow catless dump to 100 cel race cat to Invidia Q300 catback

Dropped 400-500 rpm off spool time over Process West FMIC setup I had before. Here is a video to show response from a roll out to 8000rpm each gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcdvcf7cJ0&spfreload=10

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Thank you so much for the original build post T-G.

Here is my attempted:

Frozen boost core and radiator, Davies Craig 115L/h water pump, washer bottle used as reserve, pre and post cooler temp probes.

Engine setup:
- EJ207 AUS V7 forged bottom end
- JDM Spec C V9 big port heads
- ARP 625 studs
- GTPumps GTPS02 TD05 20G 7cm @ 25 psi
- Walbro 460 fuel pump
- ID1000 injectors
- Process West 72mm intake
- AVO silicone inlet
- PSR equal length headers
- Hyperflow catless dump to 100 cel race cat to Invidia Q300 catback

Dropped 400-500 rpm off spool time over Process West FMIC setup I had before. Here is a video to show response from a roll out to 8000rpm each gear:

Cheers!
Super clean! I'd like to know what exact heat exchanger part numbers you use, and how you connected the turbo to the intercooler.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here is how I did mine.

The inlet and outlets ports are not the highest point of the heat exchanger. So, I installed it with the drain valve on top and use it to bleed out trapped air.

If you use the frozenboost.com heat exchanger, pay attention to the 1/8" NPT plug right below the drain valve. Mine was leaking and tightening did not help. It came with a gasket that was a rubber coated washer or something like that. I replaced it with a 1/8" NPT plug and some teflon tape.

I'm still in the cautious testing stage. Most of the driving is in heavy traffic. I haven't had the chance to do some good pulls. Even in heavy traffic, the AWIC unit just gets warm.

May 17, 2017

Just a little update. I've installed an GM IAT sensor on the AWIC's outlet side end tank. (pretty much ready for SD tuning) IATs are about 12-15 deg. C. above ambient. Heat soak is a thing of the past and car feels peppier even after sitting in traffic.

With OEM TMIC, I'd see very occasional knocks in the 1.0-1.3 g/s column. With the AWIC, it has dropped to almost none. I've seen only 2 knocks in 5 months of driving.

I'm very happy with the results. BTW, I'm running an ATP GT3071R at 20 psi.

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
I have risen from the dead. Been outta the loop for far longer than I care to remember but as an update to this whole nut roll the AWIC is still fully functional and have had no issues with it save for the bearings in the pump motor getting worn and noisy. Hasn't leaked a drop, temps stay solid with very little fluctuation and makes tuning much easier as a result.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Lots of good info here. Just one question,
Can this be run relatively effectively without a trunk tank? Looking at Frozen boost core Type 14, exchanger Type 118

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes. I've been running mine without a tank. However since there is no reservoir, it would be a good idea to check the water level every month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finished my install without a reservoir. Heat exchanger is in the grill of the 06 FXT. Lower Heat exhanger pipe goes to pump, then intercooler, then back to top of heat exchanger.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference between this and the STI TMIC. Maybe I haven't set up right, or the intercooler wasn't a restriction in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Added a reservoir. Using the washer fluid bottle for the pre facelift SG5 and installed in the same location. Intercooler works much better now.

I don't believe I was able to correctly bleed it without a reservoir. It would always trap so much air and would explode whenever I'd open the filler cap.

401 - 417 of 417 Posts