IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 14 months of owning my '19 WRX, and ultimately not having it live up to my expectations, I ended up test driving an STi. Ordered one on the spot. Six days later I pull into the dealership and see it waiting for me...

Such a nice car, and ticks all of the boxes I was expecting to have ticked with the WRX. No major plans for power upgrades at the time, but would like add a few fun/reliability mods. I'm still in possession of the Cobb AP that I used with the WRX and have been fighting the temptation to throw on the OTS Stage 1 tune just to see if it's worth doing - but the spectre of WARRANTY hovers in my mind whenever I think of doing that.

Also still playing with the different I-Drive and DCCD settings. Settled mostly on S with Auto(-) when the weather is decent, but since I've hit the breakin been using S# more and more as well.

SubieTray for the center console. 3D printed and does the job, I like it quite a bit.

Winters are on...

Cobb Knob: Lighter than OEM and I really like it.

Future Plans
1. Mud Flaps (my Rally Armors stayed with the WRX) - any opinion on RA vs RokBlokz?
2. New summer wheels. I think I'd like to go 18", maybe with a 255 wide tire. I'd like a more flush look while keeping close to the OEM offset.
3. Toying with the idea of an axel-back. No deletes, maybe a 4" muffler. Something for a little growl.
4. Breaking out the AP.

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
When I bought my 06 brand new I was also skeptical about modding it. I then got a good deal on an AP and tried the stage 1 OTS map and it was a night and day difference (to me). I then found a good used cobb catback and flashed stage 2. This is how the car should have came from the factory.

Don't be too worried about modding with a warranty unless you know the dealership you're dealing with is a pain. Mine was easy to deal with and i had several warranty repairs done while the catback and tune was on it. None of the work had anything to do with those mods (one was a radiator and the other was a rear trans axle leak.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I then got a good deal on an AP and tried the stage 1 OTS map and it was a night and day difference (to me).
That's what it was like on my WRX - like driving a completely different vehicle compared to the garbage stock tune. The WRX needed the tune, haven't quite convinced myself the STI does...

But who am I kidding, my dealer seems fairly reasonable about things, so it's most likely just a matter of time before curiosity gets the better of me and I break the AP out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on your new STI! I only had my 2016 WRX for 11 months before I sold it for another brand. There were just too many things I didn't like about the WRX such as Stock tune, shifter, power band, and the car just didn't feel engaging. I never test drove the STI when I bought my WRX as I don't want to spend over $30k. I also have an 18 Outback, so one day I test drove a 2019 STI while getting an oil change and immediately found what I was looking for. I have not felt the need to tune or mod the STI, once my warranty is up, I'll do a DP and hopefully that's it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your new STI!
Thank you!

There were just too many things I didn't like about the WRX such as Stock tune, shifter, power band, and the car just didn't feel engaging
That captures my feelings on it as well. I had wanted a WRX for a long time and was just kind of underwhelmed with it once the excitement of owning one had waned a bit. The AP helped with most of the issues I had with the stock tune, but didn't make up for the other issues. Not bashing the WRX; it just didn't quite live up to what I was expecting.

Reactions: JFAZ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unexpected package from Subaru of America...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, it came from Subaru of America. I’m guessing as a random thing for answering some of the surveys or something. Not quite sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love my Subietray! I have the same one as you. Mod wise I think my favorite thing I've done so far was a Kartboy STS and Group N bushings, I daily my STI 28k a year and found that to be the most rewarding mod I've done if you're ever interested in going further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...Kartboy STS and Group N bushings...
The car I test drove had an OEM STS which was pretty nice, but I've heard that it's not even close when compared with the Kartboy. That and the bushings are something that has crossed my mind as a nice addition to have; sooner than later.

How was the install for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The car I test drove had an OEM STS which was pretty nice, but I've heard that it's not even close when compared with the Kartboy. That and the bushings are something that has crossed my mind as a nice addition to have; sooner than later.

How was the install for you?
The install wasn't bad even on jack stands, you'll just need to take your time and make sure to lube everything liberally. I did a Raceseng reverse lockout and a Billetwerkz knob at the same time and had to lube the lockout a second time to get rid of the metallic rattle. I originally did Kartboy bushings but found the NVH to be a bit much, the Group N are a great compromise IMO while you are in there.

·
Vendor
433 Posts
Gorgeous car!

Future Plans
2. New summer wheels. I think I'd like to go 18", maybe with a 255 wide tire. I'd like a more flush look while keeping close to the OEM offset.
We've been running the Titan7 T-R10s:

This is my STI with 18x9.5 ET40 T-R10s with 285/30/18 BFG R1s:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gorgeous car!

View attachment 60994
I'm really thinking about getting the TR-10's, one of my fav wheels right now. Do you have more photos? I seen pics on your site on the CWP STI, but I've haven't seen too many pics of this wheel in the wild.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the things that has been driving me nuts since I’ve had this car is a very annoying rattle coming from the driver’s side B-Pillar. After doing some searching one of the fixes someone had mentioned was taking a rubber mallet to the door hook thing (*technical term).

Not finding any other, non-invasive, ideas I decided to give it a try. So far, so good!! This may have just saved my sanity...

It’s not like I had to beat the hell out of the thing either, just some quick solid taps.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Gorgeous car!

View attachment 60994
Wow, that works with no mods? Racing slicks on the street? Really bad idea to imply that they are streetable.

·
Vendor
433 Posts
Not a street car. Has over 500whp on low boost and a sequential transmission. Nobody suggested running slicks on the street.

Wow, that works with no mods? Racing slicks on the street? Really bad idea to imply that they are streetable.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Not a street car. Has over 500whp on low boost and a sequential transmission. Nobody suggested running slicks on the street.
You then post a bunch of street tires on your cars. Look at how szemely, the OP responded to the one I was critical of!

Those wheels! Those are quite light and a really good value for their weight (especially if racing is of interest).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts